need help!- role of pharaoh new kingdom (1 Viewer)

fruitbats

HSC
plz, can someone give me a rough outline of the importance of pharaoh in the political organisation of new kingdom egypt.
i can figurethe rest out myself if some could plz help me with the first step.:worried:

emmeline

HSC
hope this helps these are some notes we took at my school

THE ROLE OF A NEW KINGDOM PHARAOH

In the New Kingdom, the pharaoh was central to Egyptian life and culture. His name was always enclosed in a cartouche and his formal regalia, powers, wealth, burial and way of life stood him apart from all others. Thirty years of pharonic rule were celebrated at the Heb-Sed festival, which magically renewed the powers of the pharaoh. He had to run a set course,
paying his respects to various gods along the way. The main function of the pharaoh was to establish and uphold ma’at, the divinely established order of the universe, truth, justice and harmony between men and the gods.​
Relations with the gods
Traditionally, the pharaoh was the god Horus on earth, son of Osiris, who later became Osiris in the afterlife. From the beginning of the 18th Dynasty, the god of Thebes, Amen, became the
chief god of Egypt. Early kings were the sons of Amen and attributed their military successes to him. The kings also depicted as the son of Re and attention was also paid to lesser gods across Egypt. He was the intermediary between the gods and the people of Egypt and was responsible for the continuing prosperity of the land, free from chaos and disaster.

Warrior Pharaoh
From the 18
th Dynasty, the main role of the king was that of warrior-pharaoh, protector of Egypt. The main symbol of this role was the sphinx, often seen trampling the traditional enemies of Egypt-the Nubians and Asiatics.

Hunter
The king also displayed himself as a fearless hunter, using the same skills as the warrior in battle. Hunting animals such as gazelles represented the conquest of ‘chaos’, so it also represented the maintenance of ma’at. Inscriptions praised the king for his physical prowess as a sportsman, emphasising his strength and courage.​
Builder
It was important for each king to display his respect for the gods and to emphasise his power. All kings added to the temple of Amen at Karnak, but they also built new temples and shrines to other gods throughout Egypt. Ramses II even built a new city.
Administrator
The king attended to much of the administration of Egypt and was supported by a large bureaucracy and many officials. Letters survive that show the king involved in decision making of fairly minor concerns ranging to public works and foreign policy.
Great King of an Empire
After the earlier foreign conquests of the north and south, the king of Egypt became one of the most powerful rulers in the ancient world. A few foreign kings such as those from Mitanni, Babylon and the Hittites addressed him as ‘brother’ while lesser kings addressed him as ‘my
sun’. Ramses II led military campaigns to retain power and influence, but later he resorted to foreign marriage and diplomacy with a peace treaty.

fruitbats

HSC
Thank you so much, that helps a lot, i just needed a basic outline, eg the centrepoint of society, hunter/warriorking etc.
thanks again, you're a life saver, and thanks for your attempt, sorry i wasn't specific

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)