Need Help with a a Question in electromagnetic radition (1 Viewer)

aznscrew

HSC
Hey guys, can you please help me with these questions? I'm having a little trouble with it. Thank you very much :)

1) radiation is used to obtain information about a surface from a distance:

a) Outline a first-hand investigation to demonstrate the relationship between the nature of a surface and the radiation reflected.

b) How would the results demonstrate the relationship between the nature of the surface and the radiation reflected?

c) Use a specific example to show how radiation can be sued to provide information about Earth from a Distance.

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
1)

a) Try to do a comparison of the intensity of light against a jagged mirror vs a flat surface mirror vs convex/concave mirrors.
You could compare this to different materials, such as different mirrors, glass, white reflective surfaces and black bodies (essentially a black surface).
You need to make sure that you limit this to one independent variable though, and prevent having massive differences in the texture/shape of the surface if not being tested. You are probably better off as having a control for your results, such as a smooth, straight, flat glass surface.

b) The more light intensity measured, the more reflective. Hence, I'm guessing that the smoother the surface, the more reflective towards the detector, use of different shape affects the reflectivity of the surface and the material covering the surface affects the reflectivity (white paint, black paint, silvered mirror, glass, etc.)

c) GPS. Explain it with the use of four different satellites determining the latitude, longitude and altitude of the surface of Earth, relative to other parts of the planet.

By the way, this isn't HSC. I'm curious as to what its for.

strawberrye

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
Perhaps also consider posting this post in the preliminary forum-I think you will get replies much more rapidly:)

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
Perhaps also consider posting this post in the preliminary forum-I think you will get replies much more rapidly:)
Its out of scope of preliminary as well. It is more like a Materials Engineering question.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)