Need help with a calculus question (1 Viewer)

DatAtarLyfe

Booty Connoisseur
HSC
You use the perimeter formula for a sector (theta/360 *2*pi*r) and you make it equal to 18m (its given to you the perimeter is 18m)
Solve for r (if you look at the answer they want you to get, there is no r, only theta, so make r the subject)
Once you found r, use the area formula for a sector (theta/360*pi*r^2) and replace r with whatever you found above. Clean it up and you should get the answer.
For part b, differentiate you answer from part a to find max stationary point in terms of theta then sub it in to the area you found to find the max area

Edit: soz didn't see you needed help only with part b. Just use either quotient rule, or you can change the denominator to negative indices in order to use product rule

decimari

HSC
N/A
I ended using the product rule and I got theta = -1. I tested it with the first derivative test and it came up as a minimum point :| Where did I go wrong, aha.

DatAtarLyfe

Booty Connoisseur
HSC
Check you differentiation steps carefully, especially with the negative indices. If you know the quotient rule, try that instead of the product.
I got a positive answer, so if your still struggling i can give you the full working out

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)