Need Help With Essay "Trade Blocs Good or Bad for Global Trade Liberalisation" (1 Viewer)

Jackson94

HSC
Hey guys I've got this essay question from 2008 I believe:
“Trading blocs can act either as “stepping stones” or “stumbling blocks” to global free trade” Discuss.
I am really unsure as to how to set out this essay, I have done about 800 words with the thesis that if they're discriminatory they're bad and if they're not then they're good but I'm unsure if this is a good thesis to go along with. If you guys have any ideas that would be absolutely great, thanks!

deswa1

HSC
Is this the question you are referring to: Discuss the influence of international organisations and contemporary trading blocs and agreements in promoting globalisation. In your answer, use the economic information provided. (2008 HSC).

Regardless, what I would talk about is pretty much that they can have varied impacts on the global economy depending on the nature of the bloc (remember its a discuss question so you have to say both sides). Obviously use specific examples (e.g. trade diversion within the EU etc., external tariffs), contrast with non-discriminatory trading blocs and their impact on world trade etc. You could also mention things like costs in joining trading blocs (developing nations are disadvantaged) and then make a comment about how although trading blocs often stimulate world trade, they are no match for multilateral progress at the WTO etc.

I'm assuming your thesis is something along the lines of: "Trading blocs often promote free trade through the systematic reduction of protectionist policies however they can often entrench global inqualities and divert world trade if this reduction is discriminatory in nature". I that case, I think it will work but if you're finding it hard to write more than 800 words, you might want to broaden it.

Hope that helps :)

Last edited:

krnofdrg

Mq Law Student :)
HSC
Uni Grad
Good

-Trade blocs promote trade liberilistation/agreements and are beneficial for member nations or countries in the region. EU/NAFTA

Bad

-Discriminate and impose restrictions on non-member nations

-Harms developing countries and many economies.

I would refer to the EU as a good example. You have to do your research sorry but it is an example of the bad and good of trade blocs.

krnofdrg

HSC
Uni Grad
Hey guys I've got this essay question from 2008 I believe:
“Trading blocs can act either as “stepping stones” or “stumbling blocks” to global free trade” Discuss.
I am really unsure as to how to set out this essay, I have done about 800 words with the thesis that if they're discriminatory they're bad and if they're not then they're good but I'm unsure if this is a good thesis to go along with. If you guys have any ideas that would be absolutely great, thanks!
This would be a good layout

-Intro you would briefly discuss what trading blocs are and the positives/negatives in short detail.

-First body (Positives) include alot of trends, dates and examples. EU/Nafta and etc.

-Second body (Negatives) Same applies.

Conclusion - Pretty self explanatory.

MrTanman

Fascist
HSC
Uni Grad
No need to do 800 words. I got 17/20 from an extended response in HSC exam with just under 580 words.

michaeljennings

HSC
No need to do 800 words. I got 17/20 from an extended response in HSC exam with just under 580 words.
But maybe you would have gotten an 18, 19 or possible 20 if you had written a little more..?

Last edited:

krnofdrg

HSC
Uni Grad
800 words is too small in my opinion. I would write minimum 1000-1200 words. But obviousily if you're a brilliant writer, very specific and answer the question the properly with quality then you're fine. I used the quantity method so i was deficient in quality, my essays were around 1500-2000 words. 2000 words each in the hsc and trial exams and got 20/20 and 19/20.

Last edited:

deswa1

HSC
But maybe you would have gotten an 18, 19 or possible 20 if you had written a little more..?
This. I know determine wrote over 2000 words for one of his HSC essays and over 1500 for the other. That, and the fact that they were actually good (read:quality) meant that he got 20/20 for both essays. Form my experience, in my prelim exam I probably wrote about 1500 words and got 20/20. The crux is that realistically there's a limit to how much stuff you can cover in under 1000 words.

BTW krnofdrg, how did you get 39/40 for your essays in HSC and end up with 83 as a HSC mark?

krnofdrg

HSC
Uni Grad
This. I know determine wrote over 2000 words for one of his HSC essays and over 1500 for the other. That, and the fact that they were actually good (read:quality) meant that he got 20/20 for both essays. Form my experience, in my prelim exam I probably wrote about 1500 words and got 20/20. The crux is that realistically there's a limit to how much stuff you can cover in under 1000 words.

BTW krnofdrg, how did you get 39/40 for your essays in HSC and end up with 83 as a HSC mark?
20~25/40 for short answers o_O. I screwed up the exam badly because i had no idea on the questions (didn't study the parts) . I was a brilliant essay writer for economics.

loaves

HSC
^ Definitely agree that you should aim to write as much as possible for the essays.

I would also advise against only spending the recommended 35mins on each if you're aiming for high marks. It's pretty easy to get through the multis + short answers in an hour, leaving you 50 - 60 minutes for each essay.

krnofdrg

HSC
Uni Grad
^ Definitely agree that you should aim to write as much as possible for the essays.

I would also advise against only spending the recommended 35mins on each if you're aiming for high marks. It's pretty easy to get through the multis + short answers in an hour, leaving you 50 - 60 minutes for each essay.
Yeah this was what I did in trials and I easily got 90% (CSSA). I spent 1hr on each essay and 1hr on multiple choice/short answer.

The HSC however was more challenging, I struggle alot :(.

determine

Premium Member
HSC

haha thanks !! :) yeah just confirming what deswa1 said, I did write over 2000 words for one essay and 1900 and something for the other essay - and both received 20/20. in my opinion, quantity + quantity > quality > quantity and no quality. in saying that, you can still get 20/20 writing 1200 words for an economics essay, provided that you really hit the nail on the head with the stuff that you're talking about.

both deswa1 and krnofdrg did buy/have seen some of my economics essays so they know exactly the type of quality and quantity that is required. :)

MaxRigby

HSC
Can I also definitely add my recommendation that you ignore the recommended times and weight it v heavily towards the essays. I'd suggest perhaps 15 mins MC, one hour short answer (write as much as possible here too - at least 3-5 lines per mark), which should leave over 50 mins for each essay. You might be able to even squeeze the MC and SA into an hour total, but you really want to write as much as possible for the SA. I think personally I aimed for 55 mins for each essay, 10-15 for MC, and the rest SA.

I'm a firm believer that quantity leads to a certain extent to quality in content based subjects. The more you write, the more chance you'll write roughly what they want to hear. Obviously not quality in the sense of eloquent, clear sentences, but they mark based mostly on the ideas/content you write about. I see it as a shotgun - write as much as possible about everything you know that is relevant and hope you hit the mark.

Of course though time is your major supply side constraint!

krnofdrg

HSC
Uni Grad
Can I also definitely add my recommendation that you ignore the recommended times and weight it v heavily towards the essays. I'd suggest perhaps 15 mins MC, one hour short answer (write as much as possible here too - at least 3-5 lines per mark), which should leave over 50 mins for each essay. You might be able to even squeeze the MC and SA into an hour total, but you really want to write as much as possible for the SA. I think personally I aimed for 55 mins for each essay, 10-15 for MC, and the rest SA.

I'm a firm believer that quantity leads to a certain extent to quality in content based subjects. The more you write, the more chance you'll write roughly what they want to hear. Obviously not quality in the sense of eloquent, clear sentences, but they mark based mostly on the ideas/content you write about. I see it as a shotgun - write as much as possible about everything you know that is relevant and hope you hit the mark.

Of course though time is your major supply side constraint!
Woah brilliant eco mark :p. I found that by adding a bit of trends and by knowing the content/ideas, the markers would give atleast 16 minimum for an essay despite how bad you've structured the essay and how bad your flow is.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)