Need some advice.. (1 Viewer)

Scifi97

HSC
Hi everybody,
so i'm going into Year 11 this year (really low ranking school) and i just wanted to know your advice on something..
This might be my everyday for Year 11
Monday- Tutoring 4:30 - 7:00 ($6385.10 a year) (go from school)
Tuesday- tutoring 4:00 - 5:30 ($30 an hour)(go from school)
Wednesday-
Thursday- Tutoring 4:00 - 6:00 ($50-60 an hour) (at home)
Friday-
Saturday- Work 10:00-2:00
Sunday- Tutoring 12:30 - 3:00 ($6385.10 a year) (go from school)
My parents will be struggling a lot to pay for the tutoring, but they know i really want to do it.
Do you think this is too much for the tutoring and too much work load?
Do you have any advice or tips on what i should do?
Much appreciated,
Scifi97:)

iJimmy

not dead
HSC
N/A
Student's only need tutoring if they need catching up or are willing to work beyond. you should get tutoring on subjects you find most difficult, imo english. none the less you go to school and have a teacher for each subject that is legally responsible for teaching you and it is your responsibility to learn, imo, you could receive an excellent atar without tutoring and solely the help of teachers.

BiasedBuffalo

HSC
Ditto the above, no point doing that much tutoring, especially in year 11. Even if you do decide to be tutored, start with 1 subject, and see how you go.

rumbleroar

Survivor of the HSC
HSC
what are you going tutoring for? depends how well you can manage your time, but it is doable. I know people who go ~8 hrs a week and cope fine. tbh, your situation seems a bit excessive. are you sure you really need all of that tutoring?

strawberrye

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
Are you going to tutoring because you are performing poorly or are you going to tutoring because you come from a low-ranking school and you are feeling insecure that because of the quality of your cohort, you might be 'dragged' down in the HSC? Often, the work assigned in tutoring may not necessarily be the best for you, doing too much tutoring might not allow you to have enough time to think for yourself and actually understand and absorb the content on your own terms. It sounds like very tiring as well, spread over so many days every single week. But if you go tutoring, make sure you listen to what your class teacher says as well, because the advantage of going to tutoring is you get to learnt the same content twice, once at tuition, and once at school. You have to consider whether you will have enough time to finish your assignments and assessments with the best possible marks. I don't really think you need such an excessive amount of tutoring-you will burn out pretty soon and it might not even help you in the work you do at school, particularly if your tuition is a general tutoring centre and not a private tutor.

Stop panicking, start thinking for yourself if you really need so much tutoring? Tutoring is not essential to get a band 6, it is not the more you get tutored, the less work you have to do, and you will get a band 6 in every subject you get tutored in. Do it in moderation, otherwise you will get overwhelmed. Expect to do MORE work for tutoring, and you must plan your time really well so you don't procrastinate/tired out after your class and don't do your homework/assignments etc. Best wishes for the next two years:)

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
That's an excessive amount of tutoring imho, if you are self motivated you don't need that much and can use your time for what best benefits you and not have that amount of costing.

I'm not sure what you mean by a low ranking school but I'll hazard it's probably something similar to my old one (rural in the country) and I never had tutoring and got for all intents and purposes, a good score. And chances are even if you want a higher score than me, you can self push yourself more and use a small amount of tutoring as a boost for the subject you need it in.

panda15

Alligator Navigator
HSC
Do you actually need that much tutoring? Because it sounds like your interpretation of studying is purely tutoring, no independent work. Tbh I think you can gain the same benefits from tutoring by self motivating your self to study and getting your teachers to mark your homework, which is all completely free.

hawkrider

all class
HSC
N/A
I just don't understand how some people believe that tutoring is a one way ticket to achieving great results...

iJimmy

not dead
HSC
N/A
it is study and effective study that gets marks, not tutoring.

Erinaceous

HSC
I just don't understand how some people believe that tutoring is a one way ticket to achieving great results...
I guess they may learn better while constantly having an individual beside to offer their opinon and perhaps identify any issues that arises.
Tutoring does offer some benefits - perhaps OP learns better by first doing the work (through tutors) then using school as revision.

laura-jayne14

HSC
Uni Grad
Firstly, what are your subjects? What do you struggle with?
It sounds a bit excessive with the amount you are spending on tutoring. Maybe try these alternatives instead:
- is there anyone at your work who've completed their hsc and maybe able to give you advice on subjects?
- is there anyone you know (e.g. Family members) that teach? (my uncle's a retired maths teacher so that's handy)
- organise a study group with your friends at the library one afternoon or create a class online study group (e.g. My English class and teacher are part of a FB group)
- does your school offer an after school homework centre? (our school has it Mon afternoon with an English and mathematics teacher - I get help with English here)
- borrow study guides and make your own notes
- go to your teacher if you have any concerned
- on this website look at some of the resources available, post questions, we are happy to help (some even offer free essay/creative marking)

I suggest seeing how you go in year 11. As someone mentioned before - study is the key!
Good luck :)

dangerouss

cindy is such a bitch
HSC
I swear OP sounds like a girl I know who goes to 8 tutors a week... Insane :jawdrop:

favvify

HSC
Uni Grad
I still achieved an 'excellent' ATAR without tudors. What I did learn from that was to make myself work and understand, which a lot of the heavily tutored kids at my school could never do - resulting in a lot of them freezing in their English exams (questions were completely different to what they had memorised an essay/creative for), as well as other heavily essay based subjects.

Of course, if you really are struggling in a subject that you would rather not drop, by all means, hire a tutor. But don't waste your time if you're doing well in everything anyway. I'm sure that if you just asked your teachers would be more than happy to help you - and it would also show that you're dedicated to your studies, which could result in potential scholarship and personal reference opportunities... just saying.

grace_26

HSC
I agree with everyone else here, that is a lot of tutoring. If you really want tutoring you should do one or two sessions a week and then use your time to your own studying and assignments.

enoilgam

HSC
Stop panicking, start thinking for yourself if you really need so much tutoring? Tutoring is not essential to get a band 6, it is not the more you get tutored, the less work you have to do, and you will get a band 6 in every subject you get tutored in. Do it in moderation, otherwise you will get overwhelmed. Expect to do MORE work for tutoring, and you must plan your time really well so you don't procrastinate/tired out after your class and don't do your homework/assignments etc. Best wishes for the next two years:)
This pretty much. From the looks of things, the amount of tutoring you want is excessive. Tutoring needs to have a purpose, you cant just go for the sake of it or because you think it will somehow automatically make you perform better. I'd wait until you reach you are actually in year 11 in order to gauge your tutoring needs.

I97

HSC
No need for all that tutoring, only get it if you feel that you are unable to cope with a subject and need that extra help which your teachers may not be able to offer. The best way thing for year 11 would be to try out different study techniques/habits and find what works well for you so that you feel confident by year 12. Ultimately, i'm presuming your goal would be to go to Uni so being a confident and motivated independent learner is something you should strive for as it will only benefit you in the long run.
Good luck for the upcoming years from a fellow '15er!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)