Need some help with my decision (1 Viewer)

AB940

HSC
Uni Grad
I didn't do grade 12 in NSW so my subjects were different, but I did the general maths equivalent concurrently with grade 12 chemistry and I don't think they really drew on much content from each other at all. The 'mathematical' component in chemistry is all formulae and requires understanding of chemical processes rather than maths, so if you're strong in science I think you'd be fine whatever you decide to do regarding maths, especially if you enjoy chemistry. But I can't really speak for HSC subjects. Perhaps talking to a course counsellor at your school would be helpful.

As for moles, think of them as just being a standardised quantity (6.02x10^23 atoms). As each element has a different atomic mass, it's impractical to use a unit like grams for calculation purposes. Chemical processes occur at the atomic level and so the best way to quantify an element is to look at the amount of atoms. Don't stress about this because they will definitely teach it to you.

nifkeh

HSC
yes. do maths 2u atleast if you want to do, chemistry, maths 2u and ext 1 will help you to perfrom the calculations and understand the concepts in chemistry.

I am plainging to do maths ext 1 and 2 in year 12, my brother scored 99.95 this year at james ruse. He said if you do maths ext 1 and maths 2u at school, then chemistry becomes much easy, and doing maths ext 1 and 2 in year 12, chemistry will be much easily and you can also get a band 6.

I am planning to do maths ext 1 and maths 2u in year 11.
chemistry maths is nowhere near extension 1 or 2 maths lol, you're in year 10 so just wanted to let you know. it's just rearranging equations, ratios, using a calculator to add or divide, so doing year 10 maths, you should already be proficient in this to an extent. if not, keep practising

HeroicPandas

Heroic!
HSC
I didn't do grade 12 in NSW so my subjects were different, but I did the general maths equivalent concurrently with grade 12 chemistry and I don't think they really drew on much content from each other at all. The 'mathematical' component in chemistry is all formulae and requires understanding of chemical processes rather than maths, so if you're strong in science I think you'd be fine whatever you decide to do regarding maths, especially if you enjoy chemistry. But I can't really speak for HSC subjects. Perhaps talking to a course counsellor at your school would be helpful.

As for moles, think of them as just being a standardised quantity (6.02x10^23 atoms). As each element has a different atomic mass, it's impractical to use a unit like grams for calculation purposes. Chemical processes occur at the atomic level and so the best way to quantify an element is to look at the amount of atoms. Don't stress about this because they will definitely teach it to you.
Perfect

jaycoo

HSC

Yea I've heard a similar thing. My science teacher recommended I do any science subject. Not being big headed or anything but I am in the top science class. I am choosing chemistry and biology. I'm strong in these two subjects. As long as there are formulas in chemistry then ill be fine. Ill worry about moles next year but ill keep them in mind. Thank you for your help! :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)