Need some ideas for Related Text on Belonging (1 Viewer)

steamboat93

HSC
Hey guys I need 3 related texts, 1 for each of the following 3 questions.

1. 'What we belong to defines who we are'
Discuss this statement, focusing on how the composer of your chosen text represents belonging.

2. 'More than anything else, we need to belong'
Do you agree?
Argue your point of view.

3. 'Texts may show us that belonging involves compromise'
To what extent does the text you have studied support this idea.

For the 1st one I have thought about the movie Romulus, My father.
and the 2nd one I have looked at 'yesterday was beautiful' by Roald Dahl.

Thanks. :party:

dianaCharleston

HSC
Lol i've got the second question coming up in an exam too! Although its worded slightly differently. I think what you've chosen so far is good. For the third why don't you just think of what the question implies. And take a look at the belonging related materials sticky. Good LUCK!

Cinnamonster

Somewhere in the general vicinity of the Universe
HSC
Mostly Harmless by Douglas Adams is a great related text for Belonging and works really well with Romulus. It would also work for any of those questions.
But yeah, like the previous poster said, check out the related texts thread for more ideas :)

jiratic

HSC
mate, don't overthink it.
grab a book/movie you enjoy, and theres a ... 90% chance it will be doable as a related text.
Some texts are harder to do then others: i.e. Sophies Choice, some easier, just pick one you like, read it or watch it quickly, jot down some techniques, stare at the rubric, and its as easy as that.
good luck and i'll eb happy to answer any questions.

volcoming

HSC
Oi Cinnamonster, how does Mostly Harmless by Douglas Adams relate to Romulus...
Like, what themes are parallel etc..?

LoneWolf1990

HSC
I know I would be the last person to give ideas about belonging(seeing as I've done Journeys) but at the end of year 12 we had to give ideas for belonging texts for the next generation, what I suggested would be to use maybe an episode or two from the tv series 'Smallville' particularly stuff from the 1st couple of seasons where Clark has to come to grips about his destiny(what he belongs to) as mankind's saviour and how that destiny shapes him to be the hero he's always meant to be, I think that would work for question 1 maybe?

Cinnamonster

Somewhere in the general vicinity of the Universe
HSC
Oi Cinnamonster, how does Mostly Harmless by Douglas Adams relate to Romulus...
Like, what themes are parallel etc..?
Hi.
Belonging to physical places - Romulus and his connection to Europe and how he never completely adjusted to the Australian landscape. Arthur Dent and his connection to Earth but is forced to live on another planet because his home planet was destroyed.
Cultural differences - Romulus and his European heritage. Arthur Dent and how he can't relate to the Bartledanians because he's human and has different values and blah blah blah.
Family relationships - Romulus/Raimond and Christine/Raimond. Arthur/Random and Trillian/Random.
(I've almost forgotten most of Romulus, My Father, heh, so you may need to just check these examples).

I found it worked awesomely as a related text. You could probably use any of the books in the Hitchhiker's series really.

silverjase

HSC
Tim Winton Neighbors

can anyone tell me where i can download a pdf or ebook version of the short story neighbors by tim winton. ASAP

C

connor2209

IMRAAN YOU CHEATING BASTARD =P
Im screwed for the next one =[

day26_

HSC
omg ive been looking everywhere for esther blueburger :(
its too late for my speech to use it as an additional text but for the HSC i will
does anyone know if romeo and juliet is good as additional text ?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)