need tips 4 chem (1 Viewer)

xXconfusedXx

in the dark
HSC
well im finding chem really hard at the moment. is there any tips on how i should improve chem? im currently using chemistry context text book. is there a better one out there that you recommend?

YBK

w00t! custom status!! :D
HSC
xXconfusedXx said:
well im finding chem really hard at the moment. is there any tips on how i should improve chem? im currently using chemistry context text book. is there a better one out there that you recommend?
maquarie!!!

scroogle

HSC
N/A
Conquering chemistry - roland smith

Try to work ahead of the class so you take in everything the teacher says, that works for me.

princessj

PRINCESS JACKLIN!!!
HSC
yea conquering is really good....

the end of modules questions are great especialy the long answer ones becoz they make u recall everything and grasp the scope of hwat u need to know and the ways it can come.... it basically structures ur understanding....

besides the textbook... try get ur hands on some past papers... and iv found that 'leading edge' has really good exam style questions

so yea give it a good shot

tennille

HSC
xXconfusedXx said:
I agree that Conquering Chemistry by Roland Smith is great. When you get to year 12, you should use the HSC course one as well (the orange one). The preliminary course book is blue.

Year 11 chemistry is terrible (and difficult). HSC chemistry is much more interesting. :)

Dreamerish*~

Love Addict - Nakashima
HSC
I hated year 11 chem. I almost failed the first assessment but I aced the second. :D

What I did was to read ahead a couple of chapters in the textbook - read maybe 2 or 3 times until i completely understood it, then do all the end-of-chapter exercises. Actually, not just the end-of-chapter ones, but all the small questions in boxes that you get every three pages or so.

Conquering Chemistry is a great textbook. Sometimes I find it doesn't have detailed information on a thing or two, but it's excellent because it cuts out a lot of the complicated ramblings that other textbooks seem to have. I'd definitely recommend C.C., but have some others too, to fill in the gaps when C.C. is being an ass. ;)

The other great thing is that the format of C.C. is somewhat "student-friendly", because it has colours and pictures. :p (I'm such a kid). When I read Chemistry Pathways I fall asleep.

princessj

PRINCESS JACKLIN!!!
HSC
Dreamerish*~ said:
I hated year 11 chem. I almost failed the first assessment but I aced the second. :D

What I did was to read ahead a couple of chapters in the textbook - read maybe 2 or 3 times until i completely understood it, then do all the end-of-chapter exercises. Actually, not just the end-of-chapter ones, but all the small questions in boxes that you get every three pages or so.

Conquering Chemistry is a great textbook. Sometimes I find it doesn't have detailed information on a thing or two, but it's excellent because it cuts out a lot of the complicated ramblings that other textbooks seem to have. I'd definitely recommend C.C., but have some others too, to fill in the gaps when C.C. is being an ass. ;)

The other great thing is that the format of C.C. is somewhat "student-friendly", because it has colours and pictures. :p (I'm such a kid). When I read Chemistry Pathways I fall asleep.
lol... i sooo agree, its student friendly... lol... never thought of a book that way but now that i think of it its really 'friendly'... good layout, stright to the point and colourful! lol

~ ReNcH ~

!<-- ?(°«°)? -->!
HSC
Conquering Chem + Contexts + Macquarie and you can't go wrong. If you use these three for info then you'll have no problems covering the entire syllabus. I personally like Contexts the best though.

HSC
look @ my thread... "dropping chem" theres heaps of good advice in there! im planning on getting right stuck into it this term!

toeknee

HSC
hey everyone in here is in hSC2006!
...im not alone...
( i dont know why i find that surprising but im seeing 2002, 2003 wherever i go)

i got a pretty neat tip too
(i recommend you only do it for preliminary not hsc)

click into resources. go to chemistry, go to the bottom and there's notes on the syllabus there.

sift through it and find the desired notes for the module. match them up to your points. you'll get the entire syllabus covered in two days- a week tops...
now what to do with the rest of the time...

:D :D

rnitya_25

Abhishek's Rani..
HSC
as i see it, the best thing to do to improve your chemistry results is to go over every dot point in each topic (you should be provided with the syllabus, if not, download it) and answer each dot point. go through books such as maquarie and excel(the ones i find are best) conquering chem goes into too much detail and is annoying at times. use maquarie and excel and answer all the dot point, understand them, and you'll be fine. plus, the marks you score in yr 11 don't matter. its the yr12 marks that matter and im in yr12 which is why im letting you know this stuff....hope that helped:)

~ ReNcH ~

!<-- ?(°«°)? -->!
HSC
rnitya_25 said:
use maquarie and excel and answer all the dot point, understand them, and you'll be fine.
Hmm...I don't really like Excel. It doesn't cover the dot-points well enough. Macquarie, however, is a very good book for $26 seeing as Excel is $30...
I guess a good compromise is Spotlight Chemistry, which has some good info and is full of colour which makes leanring the content slightly more interesting. However it can lack accuracy at times, or at least that was the case in the Year 11 book.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)