• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

New Best Private School (1 Viewer)

Which is the better private school.. different options

• Cranbrook

Votes: 12 6.6%
  • Scots

Votes: 7 3.9%
  • Sydney Grammer

Votes: 79 43.6%
  • SCEGGS Darlinghurst/Redlands

Votes: 20 11.0%
  • Ascham

Votes: 5 2.8%
  • Kincoppal Rose Bay

• Kambala

Votes: 8 4.4%
  • Newington

• Trinity

Votes: 17 9.4%
  • Knox

Votes: 19 10.5%

• Total voters

Enoch

ur a closet enoch-sexual!
HSC
how da fuk can he be a sucessful investment banker if he fails hsc???...logic is flawed....and that dead shit of a dropkik bookie rekons u have a point...rofl..

Bookie

Banned
HSC
How does he "fail the HSC" if he doesnt get into med? The point was he wasn't succesful in his initial ambition. He didnt get what he wanted, but he beasted the other industry. The only fuck up here is you. You failed High and went to Kings. Wankstain.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
enoch, you do realise that entrance into medicine is not based purely on your HSC/UAI results right? Someone with a 99.9 UAI can still get rejected if they didn't pass the UMAT or the interview...

Rafy

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
Siyang, Everybody seems to be "owning" you ;)

kimi

C U Next Tuesday.
HSC
N/A
enoch said:
how da fuk can he be a sucessful investment banker if he fails hsc???...logic is flawed....and that dead shit of a dropkik bookie rekons u have a point...rofl..
For the last fucking time, learn to structure your sentences and to spell before you come to us telling us our "logic is flawed".

Bookie

Banned
HSC
enoch haz gott a point Keemi. my lojik iz flawed. altho hiz abilitees in english hav alloued him 2 get a skolaship at kings. skool wid low standards i suppoze KLLLoolLLlzzz!!! RoFL!!!!!! OMG kthnxbai

Enoch

HSC
Bookie said:
How does he "fail the HSC" if he doesnt get into med? The point was he wasn't succesful in his initial ambition. He didnt get what he wanted, but he beasted the other industry. The only fuck up here is you. You failed High and went to Kings. Wankstain.
where da fuk did u pull that conclusion from???..med...even tho we were tlking bout him wanting to be an investment banker.

seremify007 said:
enoch, you do realise that entrance into medicine is not based purely on your HSC/UAI results right? Someone with a 99.9 UAI can still get rejected if they didn't pass the UMAT or the interview...
...and BTW to get into med ur lowest uai is 94. that is hardly failing it.

and no i didnt fail high u can ask ne1 in yr 12.

and every fuking tool hus criticising my spelling....ur just gay. these are msg boards..ie. jargon and colloquial/slang ..not fuking english essays

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
Don't worry enoch, I won't criticise your grammar and spelling- this is the internet after all. But nonetheless if you had read my post then you might have noticed that it says;

fails to get into med,
... and not "fails the HSC" as you have interpretted/assumed/extrapolated it to mean.

It seems that Bookie understood my post perfectly clear so you can't say that I'm the one with poor grammar/incomprehensible posting.

huangker

Crammer
HSC
Look every school has is pros and cons. People with school pride talk up the good but can be critical as well. Snobs can’t see anything but the pros.

Thats what you are bookie, an elitist, ignorant snob. I know enoch personally and he was perfectly justified in changing schools. He didn’t fail High. High, its administration, its community failed him and is failing lots of other good people.

Bookie, you’re so blind! Look around you, look at the class of 2005. There is so much fragmentation, polarization, alienation. There are two groups at high, kids to conform to the school’s values and people who don’t. Obviously you are in the first group. You get the respect of teachers, get to be prefects and all sorts of other perks.

Have you even stopped to think abt the people who don’t conform? It’s not their fault. Most are from migrant families who just don’t understand High’s values. Life is so much harder for them.

High is a great school, but it has is problems, don’t be a snob, see both the good and bad.

Bookie

Banned
HSC
huangker said:
You get the respect of teachers, get to be prefects and all sorts of other perks.

Have you even stopped to think abt the people who don’t conform? It’s not their fault. Most are from migrant families who just don’t understand High’s values. Life is so much harder for them.
I am no prefect and I am from a migrant family. Dont generalise.

sikeveo

back after sem2
HSC
Enoch took the scholarship so he could get out of the low socio economic niche that he is part of.
And Huangker, i dont see how you can make those judgements about the class of 05. People change in 2 years.

Enoch

HSC
^ r u trying to say my familys poor?? u fuk tool first of all im not poor and second of all im paying more in skool shit at kings then at high ..i pay at LEAST 500 bux a term...hu da fuk r u sikeveo?? name urself

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
ROFL enoch- there's no point getting worked up; why do you feel the need to prove something to others? Although by the same token, I always like to know who wants to speak lowly of me.

Btw Bookie- I think he was referring primarily to Chinese/Indian people who are considered "fob" (ie. newly migrated, or unadapting to Australian culture). I'm not exactly sure what nationality 'Pierera' is (IIRC that's your surname), but he is distinguishing between those who are there for the culture, and those who are purely there for academic purposes (and to benefit from the school's name).

sikeveo

back after sem2
HSC
lol Enoch. You responded in exactly the way i thought you would have. Seremify, i dont think that's bookies surname.....

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
Fair enough. *notices sig change of Bookie*

Btw $500/term isn't that expensive for a private school..... that's the problem with revealing figures, it allows for direct quantitative comparisons. Anyhow, congrats on getting a Sports Scholarship.

Mr.Bark

what the hell...
HSC
huangker said:
Look every school has is pros and cons. People with school pride talk up the good but can be critical as well. Snobs can’t see anything but the pros.

Thats what you are bookie, an elitist, ignorant snob. I know enoch personally and he was perfectly justified in changing schools. He didn’t fail High. High, its administration, its community failed him and is failing lots of other good people.

Bookie, you’re so blind! Look around you, look at the class of 2005. There is so much fragmentation, polarization, alienation. There are two groups at high, kids to conform to the school’s values and people who don’t. Obviously you are in the first group. You get the respect of teachers, get to be prefects and all sorts of other perks.

High is a great school, but it has is problems, don’t be a snob, see both the good and bad.

ok i was at kings...kings was militaristic had a culture much akin to the american type of hazing of new students, performing tasks which could be paralleled to slavery, behavior which could be described as assault (i.e. pulling down of kids pants in change rooms, bashings, and midnight dorm raids were all to common) which was usually dismissed with a well known doctrine that 'boys will be boys', this is not just kings. I believe kings is just a microcosm for a much far-ranging issue prevalent in lots of these private boarding schools.

At kings and other private schools that i have attended, the culture was much worse speaking from experience where segregation, bullying were far more frequent even though there may be a sense of being insular at high and being left-out and 'alienated' it is far better to be in a state of alienation than in a perpetual state of fear, mate, at high i do not see people being bashed frequently, severe suspensions and expulsions being carried out and general attacks. out of curiosity huangker have u been to many private and public schools how many schools have u been to? your experience was not obvious in your comments, once institutionalized within a school it is hard to ignore the culture. I have been at high and was new and did feel alienated *surprise* but it was nothing compared to the fear and external alienation you can experience at the other schools. both my father and my uncle are teachers so i do get a lot of feedback about different schools. i have been to 5 schools, 3 private: (6 years) and 2 public: (8years) (yes I repeated)
Look there are not two clear-cut groups at high, if anything it is very mixed. I have conformed to the schools values teachers and whatever and do not receive perks or crap like prefecture, the respect of your peers is not like bought through conforming it is gained simply due to a persons individual disposition towards the community around him and how his personality is considered by others, the persons consideration for others, and sporting/academic prowess...these are all determinants of respect that leads to the perks, clearly any 'losers' can conform to the rules yet still feel left out and many of the 'outsiders' who do not conform to the rules of the institution do find there own niche within the school and are accepted in general.
The worst things about high for me are
a) the english department and general resources.
b) the schools rich history being forgotten in the quest for a higher UAI ranking and the school being viewed as a hothouse churning out members into society with an imbalance in values towards the importance of an index and a 'win at all costs' attitude.
until the school receives more funding i cannot foresee a resolution to these problems.
my grandfather and all of my uncles went to high...as its namesake suggests it "SYDNEY HIGH" makes up a cornerstone of public high school system in Sydney...being the oldest chs boys school it should be respected in its own right as well as having the unique links with the AAGPS. (i must note that kings was the first(?) high school founded in 1831?)
i am sorry i have digressed but this is entirely based upon the attack by huangker on high and his pigeonholing of students and demeaning of the school.

im not sure why u are bitter about high (maybe it failed you?) as you stated "see both the good and bad" through your embittered response you did not outline one pro, is high an exception to your rule? is high the only school in NSW that has no good things about it...if not say something positive man back up your words instead of ranting on about the "fragmentation, polarization, alienation"

“Enoch took the scholarship so he could get out of the low socio economic niche that he is part of..”
And silkevo your deduction is flawed about taking scholarships to ‘get out’ of the low socio economic niche…how does that work?…going to a private school does not automatically translate to higher socio-economic status…at high I believe you just have as much for me more opportunity of rising in class than going to kings or other private schools and I saw that when I took up my scholarship at kings (no not a ‘sports’ one in fact I was shit at sports I did not make the aths team , I was in the rugby ‘f’s’ as well) that it does not automatically lead to higher status or being considered of higher socio-economic status if you attend kings, you may be surprised there was much segregation and people of higher socio-economic class were actually targeted more than those of lower-socio economic classes as they were generally stuck up ‘snobs’ who many referred to as “rich bitches” (I am not a ‘rich bitch’ myself I come from a long strain of middle class parentage) so I sacrificed my scholarship and then went to a more conducive learning environment-high.

Have you guys been to kings and other private schools silkevo and huangker?

huangker

Crammer
HSC
QUOTE=sikeveo]Enoch took the scholarship so he could get out of the low socio economic niche that he is part of.
And Huangker, i dont see how you can make those judgements about the class of 05. People change in 2 years.[/QUOTE]

That’s the trend and there’s unless there is major change in school culture, starting from the top, things are going to stay the same. I was talking to a friend of mine and he commented that its in fact getting worse.

Bookie said:
I am no prefect and I am from a migrant family. Dont generalise.
When you talk abt groups of people you have to look at trends and make generalizations. I get the feeling u’ve adapted to high culture, which is great, but what about other people who haven’t.

Mr.Bark said:
im not sure why u are bitter about high (maybe it failed you?) as you stated "see both the good and bad" through your embittered response you did not outline one pro, is high an exception to your rule? is high the only school in NSW that has no good things about it...if not say something positive man back up your words instead of ranting on about the "fragmentation, polarization, alienation"
Have you guys been to kings and other private schools silkevo and huangker?
I’m bitter abt high. I’m bitter at the elitism that some people at high show. In my post at http://community.boredofstudies.org/showthread.php?t=10423&page=10&pp=15 I’ve explained my view on High.

sikeveo said:
Huangker is right about SBHS, however there are few all rounders now. Im sure you can guess who they are.
High has great resources, is in a great location, gives boys opportunities to enter many different extra circular activities. I agree with its vision of producing the all rounded boy, an idea Dr. Jagger always refers to as “educating the whole boy”. It’s a fantastic idea but it creates a major problem. Since the 90s, there has been a huge change in demographics where a majority of the kids who enter via the selective school exam are children from migrant families. Most parents from these families just don’t understand the High culture and will discourage their child from embracing it. This leads to the fragmentation and polarization I’ve talked about. I get the impression that the administration is simply not dealing with it.

For all of you who go to high, if you are completely frank with yourself, you can’t deny that there is truth in what I’m saying.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)