• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

New full-time martial arts gym in Newcastle (1 Viewer)

UGFighter

HSC
A new full-time gym has opened up at Newcastle. There are classes in kickboxing, BJJ & submission grappling and MMA. Plenty of mat space, a ring, heavy bags, etc. Check out the temporary webpage

Webpage is still heavily under construction and it's only a temporary address until we register a domain name

Last edited:
X

xeuyrawp

UGFighter said:
A new full-time gym has opened up at Newcastle. There are classes in kickboxing, BJJ & submission grappling and MMA. Plenty of mat space, a ring, heavy bags, etc. Check out the temporary webpage

Webpage is still heavily under construction and it's only a temporary address until we register a domain name

Under Ground Fight Club

I think that says it all. So which one are you? At the moment, I think I'm Mr. Hyde, but I can't be too sure. :rolleyes:

UGFighter

HSC
The gym's purpose is to produce fighters. We already have a stable of fighters, including champs in kickboxing, BJJ and MMA - which we're going to produce more of.

We have a greco coach as well.. there's the possibility of getting a very good boxing coach in too. We'll have it all and be able to compete with the big boys in Sydney, Melbourne and QLD which is the MMA capital of Australia.

Check out the shot of the gym in the photo gallery, the mat space will probably be 7x11 once we get the new mats.. Plus, we have a ring and will shortly have a cage that's available to us 24/7.

Last edited:
X

xeuyrawp

UGFighter said:
The gym's purpose is to produce fighters. We already have a stable of fighters, including champs in kickboxing, BJJ and MMA - which we're going to produce more of.

We have a greco coach as well.. there's the possibility of getting a very good boxing coach in too. We'll have it all and be able to compete with the big boys in Sydney, Melbourne and QLD which is the MMA capital of Australia.

Check out the shot of the gym in the photo gallery, the mat space will probably be 7x11 once we get the new mats.. Plus, we have a ring and will shortly have a cage that's available to us 24/7.
I'm sorry to tell you, but your variety of 'martial arts' breeds these over-testosteroned people that break out in fights on the streets, in pubs, and at home.

Please don't equate your brawling with centuries of tradition.

UGFighter

HSC
What makes you say that?

I think it's the complete opposite. We go to training and release our testoserone through hard training. The guys who want to fight step up and fight in the ring so there'd no need to fight on the street.

Serious training and the clubbing scene just don't go hand in hand... it'll keep guys away from the clubbing scene, alcohol & drugs if they are serious about their training.

And no, we don't associate what we do with tradition thankfully.. tradition for the sake of tradition isn't always the best idea - just gotta look at arts such as hapkido, ninjitsu, karate, tkd, etc. who supposedly have years of tradition behind them. They're not too effective.

Last edited:
X

xeuyrawp

UGFighter said:
What makes you say that?
The people that do sport BJJ, the fistfighting losers, etc, that I've met.

I think it's the complete opposite. We go to training and release our testoserone through hard training. The guys who want to fight step up and fight in the ring so there'd no need to fight on the street.
Ok, then we'll agree to disagree. I think the promotion of fighting without the proper association with the art side of things creates tense people who are just waiting to let fly.

Serious training and the clubbing scene just don't go hand in hand... it'll keep guys away from the clubbing scene, alcohol & drugs if they are serious about their training.
I'm glad you do that :)

And no, we don't associate what we do with tradition thankfully.. tradition for the sake of tradition isn't always the best idea
I think it is, when it works.

- just gotta look at arts such as hapkido, ninjitsu, karate, tkd, etc. who supposedly have years of tradition behind them. They're not too effective
Is that a challenge? Not withstanding that, koryu arts and the older grappling arts do work in real life. Yes, they don't look flash when they are translated into film or even into the ring, but they do work. I can tell you that a a 60 year old lady about 1/3 of my weight totally flattened me when I was first invited to participate in an aikido demonstration.

Not to mention all the sakki stuff that a lot of the Bujinkan people pull ou.

When you refer to 'ninjitsu' do you mean Bujinkan Taijutsu, or something like Genbukan?

Last edited by a moderator:

UGFighter

HSC
Every sport/art has one or two people which give them a bad name... for every one, there's at least another 100 or so that train and you don't know.

Is that a challenge? Not withstanding that, koryu arts and the older grappling arts do work in real life. Yes, they don't look flash when they are translated into film or even into the ring, but they do work. I can tell you that a a 60 year old lady about 1/3 of my weight totally flattened me when I was first invited to participate in an aikido demonstration.

Not to mention all the sakki stuff that a lot of the Bujinkan people pull ou.

When you refer to 'ninjitsu' do you mean Bujinkan Taijutsu, or something like Genbukan?
Sounds like you're challenging me? I wasn't aware you studied anything.

I believe that traditional arts don't work - I've done karate, aikido, ninjutsu.. If they worked, they'd be studied for use in MMA...

fourp1ay

HSC
PwarYuex you are a deadset moron.

You have no idea about the sport and you are using false stereotypes.

I've been following the sport for years and spent time training in MMA gyms in Sydney, (Sinosic Perosh at Concord) and couldn't meet a friendlier nicer bunch of guys. Very respectful and not hotheads @ all.

BJJ has nothing to do with fists. And you call them losers ? Haha. They are some of the most dedicated athletes you'll ever see. Unlike yourself who gets beaten by a 40kg 60 year old grandma. Some nerve to call other ppl losers ;)

Ok, then we'll agree to disagree. I think the promotion of fighting without the proper association with the art side of things creates tense people who are just waiting to let fly.
Couldn't be more wrong. People that fight in the ring/cage actually avoid fights on the street and save it for the mat.

HAHAHAHAH AIKIDO !!!!! Beaten by an Aikido grandma. You are PATHETIC dude.
Sure older grappling arts may "work" in real life vs non-trained opponents. But why train an inferior style ? Its like training slapsys instead of boxing if you want to learn how to punch. If you are interested in actual fighting Aikido is CRAP. I'd like to see you "aikido roll" in a fight scenario, rofl.

Traditional MA's dont work in real fighting scenario's. I thought we figured this out in the early UFC's a long time ago. If they were of any use they would be used. I'm guessing you're in denial after finding out the Kung Fu you've spent 15 years training is useless in a real fighting scenario.

UGFighter

HSC
hey fourp1ay,

I agree Elvis is a class act. He's great for the sport and for Aussie MMA.

how is Elvis's preperation for his fight with Forrest? I heard him talking to Jamie at the comp and he seems fairly confident... I'm pulling for Elvis to win, which I reckon he has a chance of doing if he can get on top. I just don't wanna see him on his back up against the cage eating strikes and to get a cut and have the fight stopped if you know what I mean.

how's your training going? you been competing in BJJ comps or anything?

fourp1ay

HSC
Hey UGfighter..I agree about Elvis. I don't know how his training is going sorry. I stopped training MMA to focus on rugby league a few months ago.. pretty impossible to juggle both when you're taking 2 sports serious. Just a fan now :)

I think Elvis has a better ground game and should win. He's been training fulltime for a few yrs now unlike his old UFC fights where he was still working IT 9-5 and then training in the evening so we should see some improvement. Whatabout yourself?

UGFighter

HSC
ah, you've gone to the dark side! ;) Nah, league is a tough sport and probably more dangerous than MMA. What do you weigh and what position do you play? I thought you were only a little fella.

I think it'll be a close match up. Forrest's ground game is pretty good I think. He beat Traven in a ADCC-style match, where he won on a takedown I think. In a IFC fight, he had his arm broken from an armbar.. didn't tap, then g&ped the fuck outta his opponent to win.. tough guy! Plus, he subbed Bill Mahood who had an absolute war over here with Chris Haseman pretty quickly.

I think Forrest has better stand up than Elvis and it'll come down to who gets the takedown... if Elvis can get on top, I'd say he's in with a good chance.

fourp1ay

HSC
Haha na I'm just better at league so had to choose 1 sport to aim high with and dedicate myself! 88kg and play lock.. 19 atm so plenty of time to put on size!

Yeah I cant wait lol.. btw u watch TUF season 1 ? Season 2 is 4 eps in.. if you dont know where to get it let me know! good show :D

UGFighter

HSC
haha, yeah I watch TUF... Matty Hughes, he's such a 'ard cunt!!

I've downloaded 90GB off that website, it's good ;)

tempco

HSC
BJJ = brazilian jujitsu?

would you happen to have any links with videos on BJJ?

UGFighter

HSC
are you after anything in particular?

I probably have around 50 DVDs laying around here... BJJ, MMA, Wrestling.

baker182

HSC
UGFighter said:
haha, yeah I watch TUF... Matty Hughes, he's such a 'ard cunt!!

I've downloaded 90GB off that website, it's good ;)
Challenge Neil to a cage fight :)

baker182

HSC
fourp1ay said:
Haha na I'm just better at league so had to choose 1 sport to aim high with and dedicate myself! 88kg and play lock.. 19 atm so plenty of time to put on size!

Yeah I cant wait lol.. btw u watch TUF season 1 ? Season 2 is 4 eps in.. if you dont know where to get it let me know! good show :D
88kg as a lock, your joking? you must be playing under 19's

Last edited:

fourp1ay

HSC
Hehe yep. Jersey Flegg next year hopefully if all goes well :).

I like playing at this weight though.. Lighter on my feet. imo 92kg would be my ideal weight probs.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)