New Labour Leadership (1 Viewer)

mervvyn

Marshm'ello
Somewhere over the rainbow... yes, that rainbow.
HSC
thorrnydevil said:
Hahaha...some black people in the States can't even vote...good luck getting a female, or black, person as President!!!
Bleh.... american "voting". Leave them to it. It's a circus and a ridiculous one at that. I read about that black voting denial stuff a few weeks ago - how long can you go, seriously? (the story was, for those who didn't see it, that Republican election "officals" discouraged black people from voting at the booths somehow, i think there was some collaboration at a state level to use outdated criminal record lists to bar people or something sinister like that).

I think Hillary's connection to Bill would help her out... he seemed to be fairly popular, and she was as well. She has a good support base and would probably be the Democrat candidate next time should they lose this time (so i recall from a while ago). Even if she just has a go we might get somewhere. Politics is so frustrating yet it still holds an attraction for me. =S

thorrnydevil

Ancient Member
HSC
N/A
mervvyn said:
Bleh.... american "voting". Leave them to it. It's a circus and a ridiculous one at that. I read about that black voting denial stuff a few weeks ago - how long can you go, seriously? (the story was, for those who didn't see it, that Republican election "officals" discouraged black people from voting at the booths somehow, i think there was some collaboration at a state level to use outdated criminal record lists to bar people or something sinister like that).

I think Hillary's connection to Bill would help her out... he seemed to be fairly popular, and she was as well. She has a good support base and would probably be the Democrat candidate next time should they lose this time (so i recall from a while ago). Even if she just has a go we might get somewhere. Politics is so frustrating yet it still holds an attraction for me. =S
I read it in Michael Moores book, "Stupid White Men"

ellymelly

HSC
Gough Whitlam said:
Latham will stay, he is doing fine :)

Latham is dead meat. He did worse than Keating. what was it, the worst loss, or second since 1931. there have been so many, it's so hard to keep track.

spell check

HSC
considering keating put in most of the reforms that are allowing the economy to be doing so well now i don't see why we wouldn't want keating back

keating was a mad prime minister

Ziff

HSC
N/A
Yeah Keating was pretty good. I loved his insults.

He was a good treasurer as well. I stuck up a list of the economic reforms under the Hawke/Keating years before. All those changes were rather right-wing (economically), don't see what these extremists are complaining about. Many commentators from both sides of the divide, even Liberal party members recognise the contribution of the Hawke/Keating years to the economy. From memory, even Howard said something positive about it way back in 1995/6.

ohne

HSC
ellymelly said:
Latham is dead meat. He did worse than Keating. what was it, the worst loss, or second since 1931. there have been so many, it's so hard to keep track.
in terms of primary vote it is Labor's worst result since the 1930s. in 2PP terms the defeats of 66, 75, 77 and 96 were much bigger

ohne

HSC
Asquithian said:
without paul keating as treasurer Australia would resemble the closed economy of Argentina...who liberised the economy?

No it wasn't fraser and the LIBERAL party...rather the labor party under keating and hawke
what about taxation and IR reform?

Ziff

HSC
N/A
"the best thing in labor relations since the cat o nine tails" :p

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)