New to Australia (1 Viewer)

tonyzhanghc

HSC
Hi Guys! I am Tony and I am from China. I just received the permanent visa of Australia and intend to move to Sydney next year. Currently I am attending a high school in America so my English is okay. My plan is to go to a selective high school for Year 11. So I have several questions:
a) Does NAPLAN affect a large part in the application? Cause I absolutely have no NAPLAN test before.
b) Does every school use a different exam? Is there any way to prepare for them beforehand?
c) I read some websites saying that Asian seem to take a large part of selective high school. Is it true and will there be kind of a stratification?
d) If I attend any selective school, will I be able to start a new language from Year 11? In other words, am I allowed to sit with a bunch of Year 7 students and learn German? Cause I learned a little Spanish before but apparently you guys don't like it;)
e) I have heard about James Ruse and its crazily high grade. Is it THAT hard to get into this school?
I will really really appreciate it if someone can answer these questions! Thank you all!!!

Queenroot

I complete the Squar3
HSC
N/A
a) Does NAPLAN affect a large part in the application? Cause I absolutely have no NAPLAN test before.

Do they use NAPLAN to test you? What? Okay, well Naplan shouldn't be hard for you, except for maybe the English bits of it.

b) Does every school use a different exam? Is there any way to prepare for them beforehand?

I think so, but I can't tell you much about this one.

c) I read some websites saying that Asian seem to take a large part of selective high school. Is it true and will there be kind of a stratification?

Yes Asians usually make up the majority of selective high schools. I don't think there's any social stratification...

d) If I attend any selective school, will I be able to start a new language from Year 11? In other words, am I allowed to sit with a bunch of Year 7 students and learn German? Cause I learned a little Spanish before but apparently you guys don't like it;)

You can learn a language by taking a HSC beginners course, not with Year 7's though. If you want to learn it in your own time and not be assessed, then don't take it as a subject.

e) I have heard about James Ruse and its crazily high grade. Is it THAT hard to get into this school?

Yes

tonyzhanghc

HSC

Do they use NAPLAN to test you? What? Okay, well Naplan shouldn't be hard for you, except for maybe the English bits of it.

I think so, but I can't tell you much about this one.

Yes Asians usually make up the majority of selective high schools. I don't think there's any social stratification...

You can learn a language by taking a HSC beginners course, not with Year 7's though. If you want to learn it in your own time and not be assessed, then don't take it as a subject.

Yes
Wow thanks for such a fast reply! I mean stratification as will Asians only hang out with Asians? There is definitely no discrimination or anything. And does James Ruse require a consistently high grade like straight A in most subjects? Or does it require lots of extracurricular activities?

Queenroot

I complete the Squar3
HSC
N/A
Wow thanks for such a fast reply! I mean stratification as will Asians only hang out with Asians? There is definitely no discrimination or anything. And does James Ruse require a consistently high grade like straight A in most subjects? Or does it require lots of extracurricular activities?
No, everyone hangs out with everyone.

To get into James Ruse, I'd assume yes you require the highest possible grades in your academics. I don't know about extra-curriculars...

Squar3root

realest nigga
HSC
Uni Grad
plenty of this in Australia

obliviousninja

(╯°□°)╯━︵ ┻━┻ - - - -
HSC
Uni Grad
isnt James Ruse entry like 245/300 for selective exam?
That's for year 6 entry.

Some guy who used to go my school got into Ruse in year 11. I dont even think theres testing. Based on academic achievement and cocurriculars. Standard interview applies.

Sent from my GT-I9506 using Tapatalk

tonyzhanghc

HSC
That's for year 6 entry.

Some guy who used to go my school got into Ruse in year 11. I dont even think theres testing. Based on academic achievement and cocurriculars. Standard interview applies.

Sent from my GT-I9506 using Tapatalk
As I know, this year there is a test and no interview

tonyzhanghc

HSC
Besides, does anyone know how the partially selective schools are, compared to the fully ones? Do fully ones admit more students in yr 11? How many students does each school usually take in yr 11?
And how many subjects does a student take each year? How many classes does one have everyday?

Queenroot

I complete the Squar3
HSC
N/A
Besides, does anyone know how the partially selective schools are, compared to the fully ones? Do fully ones admit more students in yr 11? How many students does each school usually take in yr 11?
And how many subjects does a student take each year? How many classes does one have everyday?
Yes they admit more students. Around 150 - 200. 6 subjects. Around 6.

quoi

HSC
There's around 150-200 students per grade but in year 11 they generally take in ~10-20 students. Classes vary depending on how long each lesson is, but you're in school from around 8:40am-3:15pm.
As a student who has studied in America you might have an advantage because I think selective schools tend to look for students with ~diversity~ lol.

tonyzhanghc

HSC
There's around 150-200 students per grade but in year 11 they generally take in ~10-20 students. Classes vary depending on how long each lesson is, but you're in school from around 8:40am-3:15pm.
As a student who has studied in America you might have an advantage because I think selective schools tend to look for students with ~diversity~ lol.
haha I hope so cause these schools seem really hard to get in, like 15 out of 200, and I m actually worring that they may not accept me because I m not a native speaker.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)