nexttttt (1 Viewer)

gloworm14

HSC
N/A
lil-monkey said:
thats from the contracting(for close objects) and relaxing( for far objects) of the ciliary muscle, causing the slackening(for close objects) or tention(for far objects) of the ligaments attached to the lens, forcing the lens to become more spherical (for close objects) or flatter( for far objects)

i hope that kind of makes sence to you. lol if not sorry
the ligaments are called ciliary muscles that contract and expand the lens- accomodation.

danz90

HSC
dolbinau said:
Who wants to post communication questions, if a lot of you (and statistically you probably are) doing that option :p
can you tell me about the pracs you did for:

1. relationship between wavelength, frequency and pitch of sound
2. modelling accomodation

lil-monkey

HSC
bekmay said:
hmm.
for water, the transpiration-tension-cohesion mechanism. the process by which water and minerals are transported in the xylem to the leaves (which require water) is called transpiration. As water is evaporated from the stomata in the leaves (using energy from the sun), water molecules move up the xylem to replace the space left by the molecules being evaporated. this is the tension aspect- water moves from where it is low pressure to where it is low pressure. weak bonds between molecules of water are held together by cohesive force. water is adhesive to xylem walls. oh and also maybe consider root presure.

translocation moves sucrose in the plant via phloem from the source (storage cells or photosynthetic cells where sucrose is glucose... later converted) to the sink (plant cells). this requires active transport (whereas transpiration only uses passive transport). because substances are being transported (rather than just water), they are diffused over a concentration gradient, and the substances move to where there is the lowest pressure. thus, they don't just move up the plant, rather to where they are needed.

now that is what a call a GOOD answer 5 stars =]
thanks for that

LiL-Azn

R-R-Remix!!
HSC
gloworm14 said:
i havent really studied the prelim. do we have to?
i think we just have to know vaguely about photosynthesis/respiration/omsosis umm what else ...

im getting the shakes... i dont know if its from nerves or the coldness
lol its the cold =D

i dont think u need to study for prelims.. only some prelim work is required such as osmosis, diffusion, evolution, genetics... etc

Anyone cant wait to finish their exams?

LOL yay for holiday!!

Justina

HSC
Takuto said:
A gene refers to the position on a chromosome which codes for a particular characteristic e.g. eye colour

while

An allele refers to alternative forms of the gene or characteristic e.g. brown or blue eye colour
Could you also say genes are an inherited set of instructions, each coding for a paricular characteristic?

gloworm14

HSC
N/A
danz90 said:

1. CRO- cathode ray oscilloscope [ we didnt end up doing it but thats the experiment we got on paper]

2. rayboxes and two different shaped biconvex lenses. traced the light pathways that refract from the lenses and compared focus points and focal lengths

LiL-Azn

R-R-Remix!!
HSC
Justina said:
Could you also say genes are an inherited set of instructions, each coding for a paricular characteristic?
Yes u can. It sounds right lol.. just distinguish the difference between genes and allele and theres ur full marks

Aim to trick the marker.. ahahaha

B

bekmay

hoochiscrazy said:
Its not like maths where the exam can be like 20% of the prelim course or anything like that so no havnt studied for it at all.
mehh prelim= basic stuff which they won't really specify anyway. hopefully =D the hsc is stuff that is added to the things we learnt in prelim... sooo we prolly unconsciously know it anyway =]

LiL-Azn

R-R-Remix!!
HSC
anyone plannin to make some of the pracs up in the exam?

hi 5 to those that are with me!! =D

Justina

HSC
LiL-Azn said:
Yes u can. It sounds right lol.. just distinguish the difference between genes and allele and theres ur full marks

Aim to trick the marker.. ahahaha
lol, yeah....i try to make my writing all fancy with complicated biological terms when i'm trying to do a question i really have no clue how to do.....aim: make it sound like you know what your talking about =)

B

bekmay

hm
i'm sad
i don't know anything about my option genetics. LOL DAMN!

dolbinau

HSC
danz90 said:

1. Using CRO (Cathode Ray Oscilloscope), Tuning Forks of different pitches and Microphone. Tuning forks were struck and placed next to the microphone, graph on CRO was recorded.

Tuning forks of higher frequency had shorter wavelength

Turning forks of lower frequency had longer wavelength (inversely proportional)

Frequency = Pitch

I don't know if that was enough if written properly. Do we need specific Frequencies/Wavelengths?

2. Light was passed through Convex lenses (sp?) of different thickness. Focal Length decreased as thickness increased (increase in refractive power). Modeling accommodation......some how :p. meh hopefully can bullshit more in exam

whats visual acuity again?
Clarity of image, at least that's how I use it. Also note ciliary ligaments=/=muscles.

hoochiscrazy

HSC
gloworm14 said:
whats visual acuity again?
Pretty much visual acuity just talking about detail that the eye can see. good visual acuity= high level of detail seen.

hoochiscrazy

HSC
I just had a quick look at past exams and does anyone else think the 2007 exam is insanely hard compared to the 2006. i hope we get an easy one :/

gloworm14

HSC
N/A
hoochiscrazy said:
I just had a quick look at past exams and does anyone else think the 2007 exam is insanely hard compared to the 2006. i hope we get an easy one :/
i think it usually goes easy,hard,easy,hard
lets hope this year its easy!!!
eeeeeeeeeeee
ok, i suggest everyone get some goodnights sleep tonight and if you still need to study, wake up earlier in the morning to do so, so its fresh in your mind =)

dolbinau

HSC
hoochiscrazy said:
I don't see 2007 as hard. I think it just depends whether they ask stuff you like, like, it's just luck IMO. Although I did notice in the 2004 exam a lot of the questions required a bit of thinking/more skill than just memorized answers so I thought that was harder for me.

Takuto

HSC
hoochiscrazy said:
its fucking hard

i can barely do any of the questions, lol, especially towards the end

meiosis, experiment, chemical composition is hard lol

then again, i suck at bio =[

Last edited:

lil-monkey

HSC
dolbinau said:
I don't see 2007 as hard. I think it just depends whether they ask stuff you like, like, it's just luck IMO. Although I did notice in the 2004 exam a lot of the questions required a bit of thinking/more skill than just memorized answers so I thought that was harder for me.

yeah i agree. it also seems like it gave u less information to work with. like others had more bits of information about a topic then a question. which if u didnt really knwo the answer to u could scrap a few marks from using the info they gave. i hope this HSC biology is an easy one.
all i need to do is look over Communication then im off to sleep

gloworm14

HSC
N/A
ok im off:sleep:
goodluck everyone!!!
im sure everyone here will do great =)

<3 Gloworm14

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)