Night before studier? (1 Viewer)

Hagaren

The Fresh Prince
HSC
my study is done i still can't remember all my quotes but, what the hell im not to fussed.

...focker out

lucidassembly

HSC
Maystar said:
YES. I'm looking forward to that. A LOT. There's this one particular guy I'm thinking of who does well...I don't know how to explain him. How about you put a squirrel in a centrifuge, then let it out for a bit? Mm, something like that. But Uni's going to be a very welcome, and I think well-earned change.
Haha, a squirrel in a centrifuge is an image I'm probably going to have with me for the rest of my life. People like that certainly make me laugh though. Yeah, it'll definitely be a well-earned change. From what I've seen too (although I'm sure it's entirely dependent upon which course you choose), there's not nearly as much work as year 12. Open book exams, essays of only 1000 words... granted, the readings don't look like much fun.

Maystar said:
I just went in hoping I was prepared for whatever I got, and I think I was. I did expect there to be a more equitable distribution of content though...I mean, there was a lot of employment relations in there compared to everything else. In hindsight I would say it was fairly easy, but in hind-hindsight there's an intense debate going on in the business forum about a couple of the multiple choice questions. I did poke my nose in there, but I'm staying out of it until at least the 4th of November (my last exam). Just have to wait and see.
It's great when there aren't any horrible unexpected surprises, but yeah, it's incredibly annoying when they focus on a few particular topics. It's always harder to know specific things in greater detail, so filling up space can be an issue. Oh, I've always been of the opinion that all multiple choice are created by the devil. Literally my most hated part about exams. I swear, even if I know the correct answer, I somehow still manage to get them wrong :rolleyes: As much as I try to avoid these forums, I always find myself back here looking at exam reactions. It's a wonderful addiction lol.

Maystar said:
Agreed there. Except I live on the 3rd floor, so it's probably more dangerous for me.
Easy access... definitely no good. Living on the 3rd floor would be nice though :) There's probably fewer frustrating midgets jumping on trampolines outside your window while singing a terrible rendition of Michael Jackson's 'Beat it' (as I'm currently being forced to suffer through).

Maystar said:
Yeah, but I'm at the point where I tried so hard that I know there's nothing I can do about it if I'm screwed or not. I'm too stressed to retain anything I study now...and there's nothing to study anyway, I just don't get this whole English thing. Which in an abstract way means I'm calm, because it's like, so be it, there's no point being stressed. But on the contrary, there's that artificial importance placed on the HSC thing. (There, analyse that!) Ooh la la.
That certainly is quite a bit to analyse :p Yeah, I hate getting to that stage though. Whenever I get stressed, my mind either shuts down completely or I'm too jumpy and unconcentrated to retain anything at all. Either way, there's a definite lack of studying. Although technically, it's probably better to be thinking "so be it". Not in an overly apathetic way lol, but just an acknowledgement that the HSC isn't the end of the world. I've been repeating that to myself all day long. I'm fully aware that I'm just desperately trying to convince myself, but I'm ok with that :p

Maystar said:
I was thinking about psych for a bit. (That's almost a pun.) But I decided not to, for a reason which is not completely understood to me. All I know is that my mum had a significant part in it. What uni specifically?
Great minds do think alike! That's disappointing though :( I hope you're still doing something you want to do. Unnecessary parental interference isn't always too much help. I've got UNSW first and Macquarie second. Never liked USYD much lol. How about you?

Maystar said:
I just like maths because it works...and it's exactly why I don't like English. Stupid thing is I actually like literature...but English just tears me to pieces. Not the kind of thing I'm about to talk about the night before though.
That tends to be why I dislike maths! Only one correct answer means you can't ramble your way out of answering a question. I love being able to manipulate things to suit, even if they really really don't (ie for my physical journeys essay, I had a play with a stagnant journey and a film where the journey occurs literally inside the protagonist's mind. Neither sound remarkably physical lol, but I manage to get by). Don't worry, I'm just as strange... I like english (despite my constant desire to strangulate it), but I've never been a huge fan of reading. Give me the chance to pick any related material and I'd choose three films without question.

How did you find the exam by the way? I hope it wen't alright :) It was a lot better than I expected, but I think that's only because of how horrible I expected it to be.

Maystar said:
If the internet did blow up, I think we'd all be dead anyway :p
Good point actually :p

-may-cat- said:
^^holy god, both your bullshitting skills are up to speed alright, lol, should be fine tomorrow
The wonderful art of bullshitting tends to be my one-and-only survival technique :D

treehat

HSC
I thought it was normal to study only the night before. I started studying only yeaterday, and that was only for a couple of hours lol. I just dont know how to study... I'm still expecting my 90 UAI. Study is overrated, I know it in my mind already loll.

Maystar

HSC
A slightly delayed reply, but a good one nonetheless :rolleyes:

lucidassembly said:
Haha, a squirrel in a centrifuge is an image I'm probably going to have with me for the rest of my life. People like that certainly make me laugh though. Yeah, it'll definitely be a well-earned change. From what I've seen too (although I'm sure it's entirely dependent upon which course you choose), there's not nearly as much work as year 12. Open book exams, essays of only 1000 words... granted, the readings don't look like much fun.
Open book exams? Whoa, nobody told me about that...I'd hate that, it would just be a race to the index :p ...

It's great when there aren't any horrible unexpected surprises, but yeah, it's incredibly annoying when they focus on a few particular topics. It's always harder to know specific things in greater detail, so filling up space can be an issue. Oh, I've always been of the opinion that all multiple choice are created by the devil. Literally my most hated part about exams. I swear, even if I know the correct answer, I somehow still manage to get them wrong :rolleyes: As much as I try to avoid these forums, I always find myself back here looking at exam reactions. It's a wonderful addiction lol.
I love multiple choice...except when they do some stupid one on a technicality and there are basically 2 correct answers. I have a friend who surprised everyone in his Economics trial...he only lost a few marks in the short answers and essays...but pulled an 11/20 for multi. He refuses to talk about it....

Easy access... definitely no good. Living on the 3rd floor would be nice though :) There's probably fewer frustrating midgets jumping on trampolines outside your window while singing a terrible rendition of Michael Jackson's 'Beat it' (as I'm currently being forced to suffer through).
trade? I'd like a house...I'm on a noisy junction though so there's a bit of tooting and actually lots of accidents. Sometimes I get the GANGS OF EPPING (terrifying) in this little pedestrian thing downstairs. Like, breakdancing and stuff, so I laser-pointer them from the safety of my window. I mean no...I don't...
Yeah, so now you know where I live :rolleyes: . We should just switch, nobody would know the difference.

That certainly is quite a bit to analyse :p Yeah, I hate getting to that stage though. Whenever I get stressed, my mind either shuts down completely or I'm too jumpy and unconcentrated to retain anything at all. Either way, there's a definite lack of studying. Although technically, it's probably better to be thinking "so be it". Not in an overly apathetic way lol, but just an acknowledgement that the HSC isn't the end of the world. I've been repeating that to myself all day long. I'm fully aware that I'm just desperately trying to convince myself, but I'm ok with that :p
Haha, well I'll be watching the telly or something and my mum will say what! I thought you cared about your future! It's destressing I say...but I did have to end up cramming for english 2. Had I spent 2 fewer minutes sitting there thinking instead of writing, and laughing when I heard "15 minutes remaining" which actually meant "15 minutes remaining of HSC English forever and ever", I would probably have written an extra page and a bit and then been very happy with it. I'm content but there's that regret of not finishing it quite the way I wanted to (although I did conclude it, just a bit abruptly). How did you go?

Great minds do think alike! That's disappointing though :( I hope you're still doing something you want to do. Unnecessary parental interference isn't always too much help. I've got UNSW first and Macquarie second. Never liked USYD much lol. How about you?
I like USyd, but I've only been there once or twice, ages ago. But they dont have my course anyway. I'm trying to get into Actuarial at Macquarie, which is my only Uni, because of the Unis I would go to in Sydney only MQ and UNSW have it and UNSW's cutoffs are higher. Besides, living in Epping, MQ is pretty darn close. Oh, and it has the first course of its type in the world. It was a highly parental decision, especially as my mum thought it was my destiny given my mathsness (ok, call me a square) and close proximity to basically the number 1 uni. It was a bit hard to decide what to do though...I was looking at psych for a bit and yeah, it was my mum who decided not to before me...but I'm not the type to sit in a doctor's office, I think. (even though psychologists get cool flashcards. Unfortunately I get reminded of Dr Phil a lot when psych comes up, even though I do find it interesting. My friend's going to do psych at MQ so I'll just do it through him :p). I have a friend who wants to be a surgeon and that's not for me, I'm too weak and I know my limits. And not law either...I've heard and read too many true stories about the failure of the legal system and stupid court cases. Besides the fact that you watch TV shows like THE FORCE and the sentences are far too light (like $1400 for robbing a jewellery store, doesn't even cover the cost of tracking the guy down and he's just going to do it again). Ramble much? So with actuarial...I think I'm capable of it and I think it will be interesting. I saw some guy talk about it once and he said one disadvantage is you aren't saving lives. Which is true - essentially you are trying to make as much money out of people as you can. But the career prospects are good and I think I can get to a place where I can turn that around, you know, I'd feel very empty with an 8 million dollar house or something if I wasn't doing anything for other people. That's where the money is. Money isn't everything but it sure is useful and you can do a lot more and be a bit more useful to society when you don't have to worry about it. But there are so many people telling me what would be a good course and what wouldn't and frankly, nobody really knows what they are talking about. Forensic science looked fun but I soon attributed my decision to all those TV shows like CSI Miami, which are mindbogglingly unrealistic. (Don't watch that show too much, it makes you stupid, use in moderation.) Forensic scientists don't investigate anything. Did you know that CSI actually sways juries in real court cases in the US?
So having forced you to endure my bullshit ramble...my passion would actually be a lot closer to music/drama or even, possibly, teaching. You probably wouldn't guess that from my subjects. Music's more of a hobby than something to study and I am careful to maintain good relations with drama friends ;) who tell me I'm not too shabby. Teaching...well...they just had a rolling strike, and frankly all I can think about at the moment is that joy I will finally have when I break all my ties with the Board of Studies.

That tends to be why I dislike maths! Only one correct answer means you can't ramble your way out of answering a question. I love being able to manipulate things to suit, even if they really really don't (ie for my physical journeys essay, I had a play with a stagnant journey and a film where the journey occurs literally inside the protagonist's mind. Neither sound remarkably physical lol, but I manage to get by). Don't worry, I'm just as strange... I like english (despite my constant desire to strangulate it), but I've never been a huge fan of reading. Give me the chance to pick any related material and I'd choose three films without question.
People tend to know when I'm rambling though, and others tend to do it better than me :( besides, it's easier I think to prepare for maths than English, even if the questions are actually harder, and so until the exam itself I feel better about it. I like "english" too, just not the way the BoS takes it and scrunches it and puts it into a box. I just don't think you can do that. I'd choose films too. My favourites are those genre-crossing ones that do that action/romance/drama thing. Or just ones with clever plots. Not really a fan of the shoot-em-up ones unless there's some real character in the characters, if you know what I'm saying. Except Chuck Norris :p

How did you find the exam by the way? I hope it wen't alright :) It was a lot better than I expected, but I think that's only because of how horrible I expected it to be.
Paper 1 was alright...and for the questions I did for modules, I think they were alright too. I think I handled reading well and I just had to change my story to be somehow "elsewhere" (in the imaginative sense) for the memoir. I've actually completely forgotten how I thought the essay went but I don't remember being UNhappy about it so it must be ok :rolleyes:

Ahhh....off to study :) next exam Monday! yeah!!

lucidassembly

HSC
Maystar said:
A slightly delayed reply, but a good one nonetheless :rolleyes:
Good (or in this case, fantastically lengthy!) things come to those who wait :D Procrastination is leading me to reply freakishly quickly, but I completely understand the slightly more important need to study lol. I really need to get some done myself!

Maystar said:
Open book exams? Whoa, nobody told me about that...I'd hate that, it would just be a race to the index
Yeah, my sister did law for a while and there were quite a few. Granted, considering the fact that she had to bring in about 15kg of notes, it probably took longer to actually find the relevant info!

Maystar said:
I love multiple choice...except when they do some stupid one on a technicality and there are basically 2 correct answers. I have a friend who surprised everyone in his Economics trial...he only lost a few marks in the short answers and essays...but pulled an 11/20 for multi. He refuses to talk about it....
Ah, I've had many of those exams. It really screwed me in my legal studies trial actually. Did fine in every other section, but I think I got around 23/30 for the multiple choice. Not catastrophic lol, but if you lose one mark in my class, your rank drops majorly. It's great if you're comfortable with them though! Count yourself bloody lucky :p

Maystar said:
trade? I'd like a house...I'm on a noisy junction though so there's a bit of tooting and actually lots of accidents. Sometimes I get the GANGS OF EPPING (terrifying) in this little pedestrian thing downstairs. Like, breakdancing and stuff, so I laser-pointer them from the safety of my window. I mean no...I don't...
Yeah, so now you know where I live. We should just switch, nobody would know the difference.
I wouldn't mind trading actually! I've always wanted to live in an apartment. As paradoxical and ridiculous as it sounds, they somehow feel more homely. Oh, the accidents and gangs don't sound too good though! Haha, the laser-pointing sounds like a good idea. I'm around the Artarmon area, and its usually pretty quiet. Far too many snobby doctors and lawyers around for things to get dangerous. Really not a fan of our neighbours... there's one nice old couple though, whose garden is practically a forest for all manner of species. They bring over lollies from time to time :D Yeah, you kinda know where I live now too! We basically have to either switch or start stalking each other.

Maystar said:
Haha, well I'll be watching the telly or something and my mum will say what! I thought you cared about your future! It's destressing I say...but I did have to end up cramming for english 2. Had I spent 2 fewer minutes sitting there thinking instead of writing, and laughing when I heard "15 minutes remaining" which actually meant "15 minutes remaining of HSC English forever and ever", I would probably have written an extra page and a bit and then been very happy with it. I'm content but there's that regret of not finishing it quite the way I wanted to (although I did conclude it, just a bit abruptly). How did you go?
Emotional blackmail... always fun. I hate it when people just look at the surface of things. If you don't study 24/7, you suddenly don't care about your future. Absolutely demented logic.

Ah don't worry, I crammed for english too :rolleyes: I'm getting used to studying 2-3 days before an exam though. It used to freak me out, but I realised for a modern history assessment that I could learn an essay almost word-for-word in only a day haha. I was terrified, so it probably wasn't the best plan, but it was certainly a pleasant surprise! Still... it's not really something I should be doing for my HSC.

Mine finished pretty abruptly too actually. Module C took me 45 minutes, so my closing is about 2 lines long. Had to really hurry through the other two sections, but I knew in advance that one would take me longer, so no shocks there. It was ok I think. Pretty fair questions. Wasn't really big on the 'Hamlet' and 'R+G' one for Module A, but it was really my fault for neglecting to study one of the major themes. Incredibly stupid of me, but I just hope I managed to link everything. It's pretty hard to not have any regrets in regards to exams. As fun as life sounds without them, it's far to ingrained within me to regret everything lol. Spend too much time having lunch and not studying, feel guilty for the rest of the day. Miss a random word in an essay, get no sleep. Life's dandy like that ;)

Aww, I've still got Ext 1 to go. One more english exam, then I'm free!

Maystar said:
I like USyd, but I've only been there once or twice, ages ago. But they dont have my course anyway. I'm trying to get into Actuarial at Macquarie, which is my only Uni, because of the Unis I would go to in Sydney only MQ and UNSW have it and UNSW's cutoffs are higher. Besides, living in Epping, MQ is pretty darn close. Oh, and it has the first course of its type in the world. It was a highly parental decision, especially as my mum thought it was my destiny given my mathsness (ok, call me a square) and close proximity to basically the number 1 uni.
That course sounds pretty awesome :) And hey, I might have to consult some kind of financial advisor in the future, so I might need you one day! The sheer amount of maths and science would drive me crazy lol, but it'd be awesome if you're good at it. Yeah, MQ would be really close to where you live! I'd probably need to rely on the new train system if I ended up going there. Of course, travel is going to be even worse for UNSW. It'll be quite a weird experience considering it takes me about 2.5 minutes to get to school currently. Ah, how I've been spoilt :p

Maystar said:
It was a bit hard to decide what to do though...I was looking at psych for a bit and yeah, it was my mum who decided not to before me...but I'm not the type to sit in a doctor's office, I think. (even though psychologists get cool flashcards. Unfortunately I get reminded of Dr Phil a lot when psych comes up, even though I do find it interesting. My friend's going to do psych at MQ so I'll just do it through him). I have a friend who wants to be a surgeon and that's not for me, I'm too weak and I know my limits. And not law either...I've heard and read too many true stories about the failure of the legal system and stupid court cases. Besides the fact that you watch TV shows like THE FORCE and the sentences are far too light (like $1400 for robbing a jewellery store, doesn't even cover the cost of tracking the guy down and he's just going to do it again). Ramble much?
Haha, Dr Phil? Oh yes, he's definitely the perfect representation of the field :p I'd be completely incapable of being a surgeon or a lawyer either. With the former, I'd have no where near enough confidence to literally allow someone's life to depend on me, and for the latter, there's just way too many injustices. And not even fixable injustices! There's something inherenty ridiculous about so many cases. Honestly, I feel nauseus every time I hear about someone getting off on the "homosexual advance" defence. That kind of stuff isn't going to be fixed by more lawyers entering the profession... it's social change. (Sorry, tangent lol. I think rambling is clearly both of our specialties!)

Maystar said:
So with actuarial...I think I'm capable of it and I think it will be interesting. I saw some guy talk about it once and he said one disadvantage is you aren't saving lives. Which is true - essentially you are trying to make as much money out of people as you can. But the career prospects are good and I think I can get to a place where I can turn that around, you know, I'd feel very empty with an 8 million dollar house or something if I wasn't doing anything for other people. That's where the money is. Money isn't everything but it sure is useful and you can do a lot more and be a bit more useful to society when you don't have to worry about it.
I've always thought about that too actually. I'd absolutely love to go overseas and spend time doing volunteer work, but unless you have at least a little money to live off, it's not all that feasible. I don't think you have to be saving lives in your occupation to make a difference to society though. You could definitely be an actuary who saves lives in your free time :p

Maystar said:
But there are so many people telling me what would be a good course and what wouldn't and frankly, nobody really knows what they are talking about. Forensic science looked fun but I soon attributed my decision to all those TV shows like CSI Miami, which are mindbogglingly unrealistic. (Don't watch that show too much, it makes you stupid, use in moderation.) Forensic scientists don't investigate anything. Did you know that CSI actually sways juries in real court cases in the US?
I'm with you there. I had people suggesting anthropology to me because "the world is always in need of new anthropologists". Random much? Haha, I've never seen a single episode of CSI Miami. I draw the line in terms of American crime shows at Criminal Minds ;) (And even then, season one still had its terrible moments!) The Brits are far superior in that department. They actually sway juries? As much as I'd like to say I'm surprised, I think I'd almost be lying!

Maystar said:
So having forced you to endure my bullshit ramble...my passion would actually be a lot closer to music/drama or even, possibly, teaching. You probably wouldn't guess that from my subjects. Music's more of a hobby than something to study and I am careful to maintain good relations with drama friends who tell me I'm not too shabby. Teaching...well...they just had a rolling strike, and frankly all I can think about at the moment is that joy I will finally have when I break all my ties with the Board of Studies.
Wow, music and drama? :) I must admit, I probably wouldn't have guessed. Both are definitely different from your chosen course! Would you not want to go into either profession, or is it more of a parental influence stopping you? I'd hate it to be the second one. I have a friend whose parents thought taking drama would be a waste of time. She took it anyway, and was really really incredible at it. Still... it's not the direction her life is taking in the future. I wish it was, because I know how much she loves it.

Yeah, I considered teaching for a while too! My yr 10 work experience was spent at my old primary school teaching a yr 5 class... seriously beyond awesome (despite the fact that I literally couldn't do their maths haha). My grandma's been pushing for that too, her sole reason of course being the excellent holidays you get.

Maystar said:
People tend to know when I'm rambling though, and others tend to do it better than me. besides, it's easier I think to prepare for maths than English, even if the questions are actually harder, and so until the exam itself I feel better about it. I like "english" too, just not the way the BoS takes it and scrunches it and puts it into a box. I just don't think you can do that. I'd choose films too. My favourites are those genre-crossing ones that do that action/romance/drama thing. Or just ones with clever plots. Not really a fan of the shoot-em-up ones unless there's some real character in the characters, if you know what I'm saying. Except Chuck Norris :p
You just have to be totally committed to whatever you're rambling about :D If people know you're rambling, just try to confuse them lol. Confused people are much more susceptible to manipulation, because they don't want to feel unintelligent for not understanding what you're saying. There's a method behind the madness :D Yeah, I can definitely see that approach. English in high school is so very structured. You have your little criteria bullets to cover, and if you don't do that, your work is seen as inferior. I've always enjoyed pushing the boundaries of what a topic technically allows lol. It's amazing fun watching teachers struggle for a reason to say no to something, but ultimately discover I'm just within the criteria :p By the way... "real character in the characters" makes me completely love you! I couldn't agree more. I always lean towards the eccentric dramas (and Chuck Norris ones, of course!). I've always been a film person, but there's so much crap being made today... it makes me sad. Actually, television seems to be improving significantly! Lots of American cable shows like 'In Treatment' and (although it's a little older) 'Six Feet Under' are really bringing the focus back to character. By the way, just because I tend to ask everyone I possibly can, do you have a favourite film?

Maystar said:
Paper 1 was alright...and for the questions I did for modules, I think they were alright too. I think I handled reading well and I just had to change my story to be somehow "elsewhere" (in the imaginative sense) for the memoir. I've actually completely forgotten how I thought the essay went but I don't remember being UNhappy about it so it must be ok :rolleyes:

Ahhh....off to study next exam Monday! yeah!!
Yeah, I think both papers were generally ok :) My creative writing was crappy, but that was anticipated. I chose 'The Curious Traveller', and I'm just hoping my story was actually relevant! Subconscious repression... I like it lol. There have been so many exams where about 3 minutes after I've finished, someone will ask me how I went, and I literally won't be able to remember a thing. You tend to get into this exam zone which exists outside of reality itself lol, so it's not surprising that once it's over, it's really over.

Aww, you've got ages! My next is legal on friday :) I really need to start studying.

(Haha, I had to delete 9 of my emoticons before I could actually post this. I swear, those little guys are addictively adorable!)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)