Noone has done pleasantville! (1 Viewer)

rambo

HSC
i was looking for stuff on pleasantville so i can read how other people approached this text and what insights they drew from the text to develop their synthesis. can anyone help me? its just that i have an assessment taks coming up on my related texts and i want to really nail it!

HSC
i'm doing pleasantville as my related text but i haven't made alot of notes on the movie yet. i do have a few insights that are noted from the movie such as:

- when david and jennifer first arrived at pleasantville at the beginning of their journey, they find superficial 1950s simplistic characters who had no idea on what's beyond their realm. by bringing colour to their world, the characters soon discover sex, change and wildness and impulsiveness which can-in some instances-change their outlook of life because of their new experiences.

- people turning into colour when they fully gain a new experience/understanding towards the way they see life outside their usual realms. usually this is done where people have to become "rebellious" in their own ways and starts breaking the moral rules (thus producing the concept of "rules are meant to be broken") such as the teenagers making love, Mr Bill Johnson (jeff daniels's character) becoming more active towards his artwork and betty parker "becoming more confused about the way her daily life should be" and her husband seeing his now coloured wife as one that he should love and care for instead of treating her as the typical wife who must makes his dinner
the changes that happen throughout their journey also impacts on david and jennifer who both becomes willing to change, as they too open up to a new world outside their own and come out the end as different people
e.g.1: David when he stands up for his tv mother against the conservative black and white gang group
e.g.2: Jennifer when she realises the true importance of learning instead of being a rebel thus leading up to her decision to stay in Pleasantville (well sorta) in the end

- David in the beginning finds the very pleasant Pleasantville as his idealistic fantasy escape (in his imagination) from the real world where he is often rejected by those he admired and is often single, lonely and unhappy with. through his experience in Pleasantville, he learns to become more confident and more open towards the way he lived his own life in the real world (i.e. being more open to his real life mother when he came back from pleasantville) because of how he got through with his experiences in the imaginative world.

hopefully these points are helpful for your study and good luck to you

rambo

HSC
thankyou! it helped some but i have to link it and i'm finding it hard to make my links really strong and meaningful rather than just superficial...i haven't started writing it actually and i don't feel i can start until i have a strong link!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)