North Sydney Boys YEAR 9 TEST Help/info/tips? (1 Viewer)

TheGuy

HSC
Okay thanks.

I hope I get in, the only MAIN information I want is 'what type of maths questions I can expect in the NSBHS test?'. I would like some info on that since I don't want to be studying the wrong thing. I already applied for both schools anyway, so just wondering. Test is in less than a week, so yeah. I guess you could say I'm stressing out, probably because I REALLY WANT TO GET IN... SBHS doesn't need a test, but if my application is good enough, they might take me in. I'm just worried about NSBHS, but I'll try to relax, considering my birthday was yesterday and usually I stay really chill on the 'birthday week'. But again, if anyone DOES know (and by that I mean, people who either tried out for NSBHS or is in NSBHS right now, since others might not know) OR maybe just can tell some topics on what to expect in the test please respond, people say that it's really hard, but hey, they might've not studied or whatever. Just all I want is some information.

Hope I'm not bothering anyone.

AS always, thanks in advance.

RivalryofTroll

Sleep Deprived Entity
HSC
Uni Grad
Okay thanks.

I hope I get in, the only MAIN information I want is 'what type of maths questions I can expect in the NSBHS test?'. I would like some info on that since I don't want to be studying the wrong thing. I already applied for both schools anyway, so just wondering. Test is in less than a week, so yeah. I guess you could say I'm stressing out, probably because I REALLY WANT TO GET IN... SBHS doesn't need a test, but if my application is good enough, they might take me in. I'm just worried about NSBHS, but I'll try to relax, considering my birthday was yesterday and usually I stay really chill on the 'birthday week'. But again, if anyone DOES know (and by that I mean, people who either tried out for NSBHS or is in NSBHS right now, since others might not know) OR maybe just can tell some topics on what to expect in the test please respond, people say that it's really hard, but hey, they might've not studied or whatever. Just all I want is some information.

Hope I'm not bothering anyone.

AS always, thanks in advance.
There's not much information on the topic of 'selective school entrance exam content' (including NSBHS). Best to browse around and see what you can find. Otherwise, just focus on school (with particular focus on English and Mathematics if need be) - I think that's the best form of preparation for the exam when you have little or no information.

TheGuy

HSC
Okay then. Thanks for trying to help. The test is on Monday, so yeah... School work right now is easy, Maths (I already know how to do it) and apparently the NSBHS test is wayyyyyyyy harder than schoolwork, hopefully they're rumours. And English, we're doing Shakespeare and stuff which is really boring.

I guess I won't be finding any information on particular topics in the test, but hopefully they don't give something that I won't know... Btw, if anyone here is in a selective school or WAS, what type of stuff did you guys do in Year 8 for Maths and stuff? Is it the same as normal Mainstream schools? Or are they tougher?

Thanks.

braintic

HSC
N/A
Okay then. Thanks for trying to help. The test is on Monday, so yeah... School work right now is easy, Maths (I already know how to do it) and apparently the NSBHS test is wayyyyyyyy harder than schoolwork, hopefully they're rumours. And English, we're doing Shakespeare and stuff which is really boring.

I guess I won't be finding any information on particular topics in the test, but hopefully they don't give something that I won't know... Btw, if anyone here is in a selective school or WAS, what type of stuff did you guys do in Year 8 for Maths and stuff? Is it the same as normal Mainstream schools? Or are they tougher?

Thanks.
News just in on the year 9 NSB entrance test - you will need to solve partial differential equations, do Fourier analysis and linear regression.
Sorry for the late reply - I guess you are stuffed.

TheGuy

HSC
So you're suggesting that it's better to study year 10 topics instead? Or do you mean, it's better to study for these entrance tests when I'm in year 9 and I'm going to apply for year 10?

braintic

HSC
N/A
That's like Year 10 or 11 stuff. Why the hell would they implement that in the Year 9 test? Btw, where did you get this information?
Mate, it is not year 10 work, it is uni work.
You really couldn't pick up on the joke?

InteGrand

HSC
N/A
I suspected some people wouldn't be able to pick it up, due to having no idea what those terms are (so for all they knew, it was just higher years' school maths content).

adlette

HSC
In the ACER HAST tests there's the typical few; English Comprehension, Abstract Reasoning (Visual sequencing), Mathematics/Science, and a Written Response with a stimulus. The maths doesn't really target specific skills we learn at school, it's mainly word equations and graph readings, stuff like that.
https://www.fibonicci.com/math/word-problems-aptitude-test/
This is a good website to train for the test (easy-med difficulty) Don't fret, and good luck :)

TheGuy

HSC
Thanks for the help :D

Currently I'm just revising over the stuff I should've learnt, so yeah.

TheGuy

HSC
Well... The test is over, I can finally relax and take a break (not really, I have a ton of assignments to finish xD). The Maths test wasn't easy, most of the stuff I never learnt before. So yeah, my English was pretty good and my writing as well... Hopefully that balances up my mark and I could possibly get in. I also hope that my application to Sydney Boys was good enough, because if I get in either of these 2 schools, I'll be over the moon.

Thanks to all the people who have helped me and stuff, I mean it.

WrittenLoveLetters

배고파
HSC
I'm so curious on what they test Year 8s.

Cosine stuff? Sketch y = x? Whats the area of a circle? Whats 10 + 5? I'm so intrigued because its Year 8.

LOL when I saw "partial differential equations, do Fourier analysis and linear regression" I was like - wait...we don't even do that stuff in senior school..

Last edited:

NehcGnid

HSC
Just all of this random stuff like factorizing, angles, one question asking the area of a trapezoidal prism, inequalities, Cartesian plane ( middle point of a line, which point will be next in this straight line given this equation y=...), problem solving/word questions, a bit of volume (A tap drops a single drop of water a day. It takes 5000 drops to fill a 200mL cup. How much water is wasted per day from this tap, yes I remembered the question.), and that's about all I can remember. There's probably some stuff a forgot.

Last edited:

TheGuy

HSC
Haha... How did you go in the English/Writing? Do you think you'll get in?

TheGuy

HSC
They barely gave Algebra. Mostly Gradients, Inequalities, X and Y- intercepts etc... I didn't know what to do :O

TheGuy

HSC
Hehe thanks :D

They said that the results were meant to be out by last FRIDAY, but no one (well the people I know who did the test with me got their results yet) so yeah...

I'm nervous as crap, but whatever happens, nothing I can do about it. Hope I get in...

Good luck to everyone who did the test and is anxious about their results lol.

HSC
N/A
nsb don't take in a large amount of people in year 9, so its a lot harder. But you can always try in year 11 as there are a lot more spots!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)