not recognising disks (1 Viewer)

blackbunny

HSC
boot up my pc as usual. and the red disk activity led stays lit up. would not detect the drives on the boots up screen.
restart, same thing. change drives, same thing. change cables, same thing. change drives and change cables and change the order they are pluged in the mobo, same thing.

unplug all the drives, still same thing. still shows the red lead and does not detect the drives.

ahh

unplug the ide cables from the modo (2). and the red led turns off. buts wats the point if i cant boot to OS.

3 drives:
ide1:
20 g master
ide2:
250 g master
dvd burner slave

help really appreciated. got important files that I cant access :(

sunny

meh.
HSC
Have you tried a minimal set up, only using your boot HDD, one cable, no other drives, and any combination of your components with only the boot drive?

blackbunny

HSC
the boot hdd does not even make the sounds that it works. other disks on the other hand like you sad, i did a minimal set up with my other disk and it woked.

do i have a dead disk? can they just die just like that?

sunny

meh.
HSC
If you cannot hear your boot HDD powering/spinning up at all (if you hold the HDD in your hand while it spins up should be able to feel it as well) like other drives do when using the same power and IDE/SATA cables, and you cannot detect the drive in your BIOS setup (and if you have a chance, trying the drive in another computer), I think its safe to say you might have lost your boot HDD. You can always play around with it abit, for all you know it might just be a loose power connector on the HDD.

Its not uncommon for hard disks to just die, but most of the time theres signs leading up to it, like unexplained crashes, corrupt files, bad sectors, unusual noises, etc.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)