Not understanding a single subject! (1 Viewer)

ninetypercent

ninety ninety ninety
HSC
try again. read through the stuff again and again! if that doesn't work, then ask your friends or teacher. Get them to explain it to you.
You could get a tutor from the BOS website. Some are cheap, and private one on one.

It is essential that you understand the concepts in order to study effectively for your exams. It is important that you do this during your Prelim. If you're not understanding anything now, chances are, you won't be during your HSC

so yeah, ask questions! read it over and over again! get a tutor!! or you could try finding different textbooks. e.g. some people find Tim Riley Economics too hard to understand so they get the Tim Dixon book.

muzeikchun852

HSC
try again. read through the stuff again and again! if that doesn't work, then ask your friends or teacher. Get them to explain it to you.
You could get a tutor from the BOS website. Some are cheap, and private one on one.

It is essential that you understand the concepts in order to study effectively for your exams. It is important that you do this during your Prelim. If you're not understanding anything now, chances are, you won't be during your HSC

so yeah, ask questions! read it over and over again! get a tutor!! or you could try finding different textbooks. e.g. some people find Tim Riley Economics too hard to understand so they get the Tim Dixon book.
dixon is way better than riley. is much easier to understand and is not as word-y as riley.

annabackwards

<3 Prophet 9
HSC
Argue with your parents - if you keep at it with logical arguments and use a bit of tact, they should get it after a while. A private tutor would really help you out from what you've said.

You should also try working smart - when you're studying, actually study. Don't sit there and day dream etc etc.

Bug your teachers - don't be afraid to ask questions, ask them to help you after lessons are over etc etc. You'd be surprised how doing something as simple as that can help you understand.

allira92

HSC
one question from my previous thread: will the language (or japanese) continuers' prelim course as well as HSC course be examine in the HSC exam?
because it is a language, anything you have learnt right back to yr7 or 8 is examinable, all structures vocab and kanji (in terms of japanese) can be tested

to the OP, it may also be a case that you are stressed or overwhelmed by all the work that you have to study and then you are having difficulty understanding it. Try writing a list of everything you have to do and break your study up in to little chunks that are as overwhelming and focus on each little chunk at a time.

gesh17

HSC
N/A
The absolute best thing you can do is to talk to your teachers. Try also reading over the work and talking to other people about it, but this should be no substitute for talking to your teachers about this solvable problem :)
+1

Supercalamari's got the right idea.

Lauchlan

HSC
I guess you could say that they are "demanding" but they're what I like.
Mathematics, Biology, Chemistry, Japanese, Modern History. Moderns the only one I don't like..

I would suggest dropping modern at the end of prelims, this would be ok if you were sure about all the others (and it sounds like you are) and you don't think you could achieve to the standard of your other subjects in modern.

Mathematics 2U is very demanding - homework is always around...
Biology/Chemistry also demand revision and understanding of everything (there's a lot of content)...
Japanese (I presume Continuers) will be extremely demanding in the HSC, but if you enjoy it, and are good at it, and have a (good) teacher - go for it.

MrBrightside

Brightest Member
HSC
N/A
hmmm, strange, i found yr 10 --> yr 11 was no different, maybe because i expected that amount of work and i'm used to since i was in 5.3 maths :D lol

Study hard, ask ur friends or teachers for help, google everything u dont understand and give yourself aims. :D

lpodnano

5eva alone
HSC
hmmm, strange, i found yr 10 --> yr 11 was no different, maybe because i expected that amount of work and i'm used to since i was in 5.3 maths :D lol

Study hard, ask ur friends or teachers for help, google everything u dont understand and give yourself aims. :D
Since BOSers are generally 'above average' I think most people did 5.3 math or even accelerated and found the workload rather difficult. I guess it's different for everyone.

hscishard

HSC
:confused: 5.3 maths shouldn't mean you do heaps more work than 5.2 or 5.1.

But yea, I haven't noticed the change in amount of workload too.

MrBrightside

Brightest Member
HSC
N/A

well more likely yes, you would get more work, depending on ur teacher and school..., most of the time we had to play catch up with the top class, so we were always rushing stuff, yr 11 maths is no different, we a rushing to keep up with the extension class which i see as unfair, since they get more lessons and r "more" talented in maths, us 2 u'ners have to always compete with them now.

I've heard teachers say that term 1 of yr 11 is nothing, and term 2 on wards is where it really starts getting hard :S.

t00l

HSC
well more likely yes, you would get more work, depending on ur teacher and school..., most of the time we had to play catch up with the top class, so we were always rushing stuff, yr 11 maths is no different, we a rushing to keep up with the extension class which i see as unfair, since they get more lessons and r "more" talented in maths, us 2 u'ners have to always compete with them now.

I've heard teachers say that term 1 of yr 11 is nothing, and term 2 on wards is where it really starts getting hard :S.
no shit man. 3u maths has tons more material. cant expect to get same # of hours a week as they do

BloomyLove

HSC Hater
HSC
Since BOSers are generally 'above average' I think most people did 5.3 math or even accelerated and found the workload rather difficult. I guess it's different for everyone.

WHAT? I did 5.3 maths and have dramaticly noticed the change in difficulting in my workload.
and
3uint is alot more pressure then 2unit. :jedi:

Memi

HSC
N/A
I guess you could say that they are "demanding" but they're what I like.
Mathematics, Biology, Chemistry, Japanese, Modern History. Moderns the only one I don't like..

I would suggest dropping modern at the end of prelims, this would be ok if you were sure about all the others (and it sounds like you are) and you don't think you could achieve to the standard of your other subjects in modern.

Mathematics 2U is very demanding - homework is always around...
Biology/Chemistry also demand revision and understanding of everything (there's a lot of content)...
Japanese (I presume Continuers) will be extremely demanding in the HSC, but if you enjoy it, and are good at it, and have a (good) teacher - go for it.
Ah I think I understand why I am having difficulties..It's most likely because I am not putting enough effort into them. As above, you have mentioned that they all require revision and are demanding, yet insufficient effort is put towards them. I'll buckle down, get motivated and continue to study to see if any difference is cultivated.

Memi

HSC
N/A
I'm the same as you, but that's possibly because of the lazy nature of my school..

MrBrightside

Brightest Member
HSC
N/A
WHAT? I did 5.3 maths and have dramaticly noticed the change in difficulting in my workload.
and
3uint is alot more pressure then 2unit. :jedi:
ohk, well i do 2unit advanced, maybe that explains it, still seems the same as yr 10 workload for now that is...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)