Note to IT students selecting a sub-major (1 Viewer)

Crammer

HSC
N/A
Just a note, for anyone doing AIT next semester use Eclipse . You'll thank me for it. and no this is not an advertisment. It somewhat reduces and saves you alot of time once you got the hang of it rather than compiling a war, jar etc through command line (as shown in the tutorials).

carrotz

HSC
Uni Grad
Crammer said:
Just a note, for anyone doing AIT next semester use Eclipse . You'll thank me for it. and no this is not an advertisment. It somewhat reduces and saves you alot of time once you got the hang of it rather than compiling a war, jar etc through command line (as shown in the tutorials).

haha i was gonna use eclipse.. soo dodgy my quota ran out.. AIT sux.. takes up quota sooo much -_-

note: quota screws u over.. make sure u have enough space on ur x drive!

Beaky

You can read minds?
HSC
Jase you forgot to give a run-down on Network Servers which is also in IBT sub-major...

Is the subject any good? I plan to do it next sem

jase_

Moderator Jase
HSC
Beaky said:
Jase you forgot to give a run-down on Network Servers which is also in IBT sub-major...

Is the subject any good? I plan to do it next sem
heh, well if you want to be technical, I forgot Intelligent Agents in Java as well :p. I don't know much about Network Servers so I didn't say anything. It sounds like a pretty practical subject I guess. Take a look at the subjetc outline on the START.IT website.

So I guess you didn't end up doing Internetworking?

Beaky

You can read minds?
HSC
jasee said:
So I guess you didn't end up doing Internetworking?
Yeah couldn't be bothered going through with the whole process of exemptions. Meh IBT is not too bad :)

jase_

Moderator Jase
HSC
Well Internet Commerce is hardly a taste of IBT. Wait until you do AIT :p

Crammer

HSC
N/A
jasee said:
Well Internet Commerce is hardly a taste of IBT.

Exactly! It's pointless.

What is the Internet?
What is a Database?
What is a Network?

Assignment 1:

How does the internet work?

Show a really really boring animation in the lecture theatre about how packets travel.

What is food?

How often do you eat?

<add some more crap filler lectures and you have IC>

It's a waste of money.

ragnarok

Inanimate Carbon Rod
HSC
Bah, I've just gone with IBT :p I should be alright even though I don't have that much past programming expertise/knowledge/anything right? I mean, I will do the work (rather than be one of those people who moan that it's too hard and then cram for assessments about 12 hours before :p). Would I survive?

Also, I'm not sure which elective I should do (not for IBT), but the extra IT elective we get to choose. I've narrowed it down to all programming ones (which I'd assume may possibly help me):

31927 Application Development with Visual Basic .NET
31465 Object-oriented Programming
31860 Object-oriented Programming and C++
31748 Programming on the Internet

Note: 31336 Internet Middleware Programming and 31100 Enterprise Development with the .NET Framework are going to be my electives for IBT.

Programming on the Internet is the most attractive to me. Though, if anyone else has any suggestions or tips to what is best for me to do (with relation to helping me in IBT) that'd be appreciated. My elective is the only thing I have left to choose.

jase_

Moderator Jase
HSC
You should do as your IT elective the one that is recommended to you, which is 31465 Object-oriented Programming. It will help you the most as you'll get exposed to programming in Java. You will learn all the stuff from Programming on the Internet in Internet Middleware Programming and Advanced Internet Technologies, so you'll really just be repeating yourself there. Nice choice of IBT electives! (as long as you are keen on programming).

ragnarok

Inanimate Carbon Rod
HSC
I didn't know we were recommended that. Never even heard anything about it. Well I guess if it combines much of what I want to do, and has parts relating to AIT, I can't really go wrong. So I guess i'll choose it.

I wouldn't say I was keen on programming, but it is something I quite enjoy (assuming I can eventually work it out :D).

Thanks Jasee. You're always a help.

ragnarok

Inanimate Carbon Rod
HSC
jasee said:
I assume you didn't get a copy of the sub-majors and electives booklet then? You can find them here:

http://start.it.uts.edu.au/w/ugrad/electives/index.html
Nope, obviously not :D Thanks.

Though, there is a problem if I choose OOP as my elective for Spring 2006. Internet Commerce and OOP clash. Is it possible for me to do say IC and another elective such as Ent. Dev. in .NET instead of OOP now, and then do OOP next time before I do AIT? I'm assuming I can since it'd make it pretty weird.

Edit: Does requisites refer to having to do a subject prior to being able to enrol in a certain one (though this sounds like a pre-requisite rather than a requisite), or does a requisite mean that if I do the subjects required at a later stage, it's okay for me to choose that subject?

Stupid clash D:

Last edited:

jase_

Moderator Jase
HSC
If possible, do either OOP or IC in Autumn 2006 instead. That might be better. At least that way you also avoid evening classes for one of the subjects too! You can then do the core IT or Business subject that you replaced in Spring 2006 instead.

ragnarok

Inanimate Carbon Rod
HSC
jasee said:
If possible, do either OOP or IC in Autumn 2006 instead. That might be better. At least that way you also avoid evening classes for one of the subjects too! You can then do the core IT or Business subject that you replaced in Spring 2006 instead.
Hmm..probably a good idea. Though I'm just worried for a subject which I'm not doing like most others, will put me into a situation with someone who isn't hard working ;p Then of course, I end up doing all the work which is getting tiresome. *goes to persuade others to do the same as me*

da_cupcake

1st yr BIT @ UTS
HSC
Hey Jasee! :)

So u say or another person said Internet Commerce is a waste of time + money.. Maybe I should reconsider it ><
Due to the number of clashes, and pre-reqs for many other electives, I'm left with Internet Commerce, Marketing, Economics, ITO (but it kinda doesnt fit either) or maybe a language?! but hmm..

The thing is next sem I'm doing 5 subjs (OOD/DCA/RE/bus elec/other elec) and for the other elective I would like to choose a subj not as demanding as DCA + OOD i heard are very demanding subjects... That's why i considered Internet commerce but Im not sure anymore.. Do you have any suggestions?

:confused: :confused:

jase_

Moderator Jase
HSC
Well Internet Commerce is a waste of time, but it's easy I guess. Maybe do another Business subject, like Accounting for Business or Business Law and Ethics. If you like programming (or anything else), choose something from one of the sub-majors.

da_cupcake

1st yr BIT @ UTS
HSC
jasee said:
Well Internet Commerce is a waste of time, but it's easy I guess. Maybe do another Business subject, like Accounting for Business or Business Law and Ethics. If you like programming (or anything else), choose something from one of the sub-majors.
oh kk~ yeah I might end up doing 2 business electives next sem then MPO and either marketing or eco for business... but marketing - too many essays and eco - hard/demanding

hmm, do you know anyone who has done the elective Intelligent agents in Java?
It looks pretty interesting, also for my 3rd yr I was considering Digital Multimedia, Human Computer Interaction...
:)

copious

Linbo rox my sox
HSC
Internet Commerce is the worst subject ever, you can learn everything in that subject off google, dont bother wasting time and money on that poor excuse of a subject!

AIT on the other hand *shudder*. Even though i managed to get a distinction in the subject, its the hardest subject ive done at uni. either that, or i suck at programming.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)