Notebook brands (1 Viewer)

chris_c28

Random Member
HSC
Punctuation M said:
Yeah you're right, "solid". They're too big and heavy to carry around (personal opinion).
Umm, they are about the same weight as equivalent Thinkpads and MBP. They come in various sizes too. It's not as light as the Sony Vaios, but it's as good as any Thinkpads. HP-Compaq has come a long way since their merger and Lenovo now seems to fall behind as it struggles to cope with the competition.
IBM has stopped making computers quite a while ago. They outsource to ODMs, which I think Lenovo is one of them. Some old Thinkpads are made by LG and Compal(I think).

Punctuation M

HSC
N/A
chris_c28 said:
Umm, they are about the same weight as equivalent Thinkpads and MBP. They come in various sizes too. It's not as light as the Sony Vaios, but it's as good as any Thinkpads. HP-Compaq has come a long way since their merger and Lenovo now seems to fall behind as it struggles to cope with the competition.
IBM has stopped making computers quite a while ago. They outsource to ODMs, which I think Lenovo is one of them. Some old Thinkpads are made by LG and Compal(I think).
Yeah ok, you may compare to the R50 or 600E.

Collin

HSC
N/A
There's a damn nice Asus laptop at work right now. T2250 Core Duo, 1GB DDR2-533, 120GB, Gf7200, 15.4 inch widescreen, inbuilt webcam, free TV tuner, free bag.. for only $1600. Everytime I walk past it, I'm getting these annoying urges to purchase it.

For some reason my beloved Dell's prices seem to have gone up dramatically since November last year, and they've wiped the WSXGA+ screen upgrade from their customization pages (they still do 1440 x 900 for bloody ~$250 extra) for their 15.4" Inspiron range.... BIG BIG bummer. Besides that MacBook I've been itching to get, my next PC laptop purchase may very well be an HP or ASUS now.

Kwayera

Passive-aggressive Mod
HSC
I have a sixish year old Dell Latitude can'trememberwhatmodelno. and it's still going sort of strong. Sort of.

Kujah

HSC
N/A
Does anyone like the HP/Compaq range?

Pharaohsam

HSC
Uni Grad
ASUS for the win!!!!

i just bought an F3JV!!!

its so mad

for 2400 i got...

Core 2 Duo T7200 (2.0ghz)
2gb ram
Nvidia go 7600 512mb
a sexy 1680 x 1050 gloss 15.4" res is is so mad!
120GB hard drive
built in cam and mic
4usb
dvd dual layer burner
firewire
expresscard slot
bluetooth
wifi
vga and dvi output
card reader

Collin

HSC
N/A
MathsIsWeird said:
If your looking for a top of the range laptop thats faster than most compturs that ive seen that this is a good choice but the price tag is steep :-(

http://media.digitaltrends.com/digitaltrends/alienware_aurora_m9700.html
Buying a top-of-the-range Alienware laptop probably means you're a gamer. But wanting top gaming performance from a laptop means you're an idiot. I guess what I'm trying to get at is, if you were serious enough about your gaming to want to burn a hole into your wallet THAT huge, you wouldn't buy a laptop. That machine costs a mind boggling $6,000AUD.

Please allow me to loiter in my own daydream for a second:

A Conroe E6700 (OCed), 4GB DDR2, 8800GTX SLi, X-Fi Platinum, ASUS P5W desktop and a Dell 2407WFP (19*12) costs less than that laptop.. and performance-wise it would eat it for breakfast.

That laptop would only scrape the performance of a single 8800GTS rig on the best of days (actually, I'm probably being too nice here).

If only I wasn't broke. ;)

Templar

P vs NP
HSC
You pay a hefty premium for an Alienware computer. It's as much about the prestige in the brand and the status as the performance. For a gaming/multimedia laptop, I find the Dell Inspiron 9400 sufficient for my needs, without a massive budget blowout (the new HP one is equally powerful).

But currently I would like the Asus R1F tablet. That or waiting for the Acer Merom/Santa Rosa tablet to come out. Although by that stage, it might be better to wait a bit longer for the Penryn version.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)