Novae (1 Viewer)

Jaymee

HSC
Are novae considered intrinsic, extrinsic, periodic or non-periodic? According to my textbook - Longman physics - they're periodic and extrinsic, but the csu website says they're non-periodic, which has got me all confused now. Which is right?

sinist4

HSC
hey...
now im confused Lol
i never seen that b4... im lost , soz i couldnt help, i wish i knew:)

Jaymee

HSC
It got my teacher confused too cos he thought they were non-periodic. He sat there for 5 mins staring at the textbook and couldnt come to any conclusion. Eventually he's just like, look it up on the net and see what you find.

Last edited:

passion89

HSC
Jaymee said:
Are novae considered intrinsic, extrinsic, periodic or non-periodic? According to my textbook - Longman physics - they're periodic and extrinsic, but the csu website says they're non-periodic, which has got me all confused now. Which is right?
Hmm...I'm pretty sure novae are non-periodic and intrinsic. I don't know why your textbook would say they're periodic. Maybe I'm totally wrong and don't realise it lol
Because a novae's brightness is pretty irregular, this would go under the definition of non-periodic.

The reason I would think they'd be non-periodic is because they're intrinsic. GENERALLY extrinsic stars are periodic.

Last edited:

alcalder

Just ask for help
HSC
N/A
OK, have a look at Wikipedia (sometimes the answer to most problems).
ttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nova

They mention that re-current novae are rare but do occur. Then they postulate that perhaps all novae are re-current but on a time frame that is much longer than current records.

So, there you go.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)