Nsw digital revolution {laptops for niners} (1 Viewer)

mfhs

HSC
So, year 9 kids are going to get laptops promised by Ruddy soon.

i had the pleasure of fiddling around with my teachers one. Looks good...

The thing had a crapload programs. Like really, probably 3000 dollars worth of softwares alone.

The model of the laptop is a Lenovo S10e (e stands for education).

So, anyone excited??? LOL

p.s. i ran warcraft and starcraft on it, works :jedi::jedi::jedi::jedi::jedi::jedi::jedi::jedi::spzz::spzz::spzz::spzz::spzz::spzz::spzz::music::music::music::music:

SnowFox

Premium Member
HSC
Umm lies, the Lenovo S10e has been locked out of .exe programs such as games in terms of installation and execution without given privileges and internet is filtered WHERE EVER you go.

Apart from the small rant, i had a mess with my teachers one today, trying to get it on the OH projector.
Touch pad is super sensitive but nothing a few tweaks cant fix. No Windows key from what i could see (Win+P for monitor switch) so that might prove a hassle for some people.

And yes, a SHIT load of software on the lenovo. Im sure the HDD is ment to be 160GB, but it is 150GB, so 10GB probably for all the software.

Complete CS4 Software Family, a few programs here and there that might be useful and a few others that ive never seen before and probably will never be used.

Win7 works a breeze on this lil lappy, with the screen able to be scrolled up and down and locked dependent on your preferences.

Tomorrow i might have another look at it and list all the software.

BTW Atom Processor, 2 GB RAM, 150GB HDD (160GB???) and a decent GFX accelerator.

SnowFox

Premium Member
HSC
I was going to say why even bother with those games, but meh.

mfhs

HSC
lol, trust me, the exe's did work. If they weren't why would i bother posting :D

anyway, most of the kids going to bring they're own mouses.

oh btw, did anyone remmeber if there was a VGA slot ( i got a sparemonitor at home)

SnowFox

Premium Member
HSC
Wait....Did you run it off a USB, the games? That would explain how you bypassed the .exe block, we do it for CS:CZ all the time. Your IT teacher or technician will eventually catch you out and remove it.
If it wasnt from a external source (External HDD/ Very large USB) They will take the lappy and remove/ reformat it. Do it at your own risk.

And yes it does a VGA Slot, how else would i have connected it to the over head projector?

mfhs

HSC
yep off a usb...

but there are blocks, only installs i think...

SnowFox

Premium Member
HSC
Yeah well any decent game wouldnt fit on a USB anyways.

SnowFox

Premium Member
HSC
Forgot to mention the Hardware is ok for websurfing, not running and gunning.

SnowFox

Premium Member
HSC
BTW shinji, Cruel Angels Thesis, is that Neon Genesis??

Synergie

HSC
I cannot see those poor little Atom CPUs handling the power hog that is Windows 7! (Dont get me wrong, I love my Win7 RC) Nor can I see CS4 or video editing programs working to a decent standard. The Digital Revolution Program is an excellent idea, however it has been poorly planned

Last edited:

SnowFox

Premium Member
HSC
I cannot see those poor little Atom CPUs handling the power hog that is Windows 7! (Dont get me wrong, I love my Win7 RC) Nor can I see CS4 or video editing programs working to a decent standard. The Digital Revolution Program is an excellent idea, however it has been poorly planned
Have you even taken it for a spin? The hardware is somewhat suitable for what it needs to do. I ran a couple of the CS4 programs and got a lil system lag, but that was all. As for Win7 being a power hog, i wouldnt know, i dont run it, but it must be better then vista.

Besides, 90% of the time they will be hooked up to a power source, meaning High Performance for most of that time.

Bacilli

Hypocritical gump
HSC
N/A
It's a good idea. The S10e isn't a bad little machine, and even better considering you're getting it for nothing, well not technically. Is this machine set to fall into the hands of private school students too?

SnowFox

Premium Member
HSC
Doubt it, its a government initiative. All private schools do is copy the curriculum and add religious studies.

mcflystargirl

HSC
N/A
the atom CPU handles it fine, i have it running on my netbook and it is faster then XP

iRuler

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
I get one, plus im in year 11 =)

But if stuff is locked, im sure we can back it up, and do a clean format, screw the education system xD

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)