NSW Fire Brigade (1 Viewer)

numbakruncha

HSC
Anyone else thinking of becoming a firey when they leave school? Im dead serious about it-anyone know anything about it that could be helpful?

All help/information is greatly appreciated.

P.S I'll probably do an apprenticeship in Electrotechnology before I apply....

djsurge01

HSC
yea, im in the rural fire service. i would love to join the NSWFB, ive always liked it cause my dad was captain of the fire brigade for a long time. But now it is so hard to join up. But if your keen you should do it.

wuddie

Black by Demand
HSC
it was posted a year ago...

i am always under the impression that fire fighters rarely have to fight fire. instead, they devote most of their time on standby, polishing their trucks, or giving civilians a hand with totally non-fire related issues like helping a cat down a tree. anyway, there aren't that many fires in nsw, most of them are false alarms.

of course, correct me if i am wrong.

katie tully

ashleey luvs roosters
HSC
house fires

car accidents

other non fire related emergencies

pretty sure it's not 90% pole waxing, 10% real work

Sabbo

HSC
I applied in the last recruitment session (ended in June). It's pretty tough to get in. They get around 5000 applications for 160 jobs.

Haven't heard anything back yet but they're probably still sifting through all the applications.

There's a variety of stages you have to get through and the process can take well over a year and even if you get accepted it might still be a while till you commence training.

Suits me fine at the moment since I still have a few months of Uni left. It would be fantastic if I got in but at least I can get other jobs with my degree in the meantime.

I'm gonna keep applying though :)

I don't have any statistics but I wouldn't be suprised if there's less fires now. Part of the job is also community education about fire hazards. There's also heaps of Motor Vehicle Accidents to deal with.

Last edited:

wrxsti

Rambo
HSC
Sabbo said:
There's also heaps of Motor Vehicle Accidents to deal with.
Mainly rescuing trapped people from cars and containing vehicle oil leaks.

HSC
both my brother and sister are firies .. you get paid pretty well, but the amount of fucked up shit you have to do makes up for it. my sister's like "oh yeah, i went to this crash out on the highway today, had to pick up a baby that had been sliced in half" and fucked up stuff like that. plus you have to be seriously fit.

breaking

paint huffing moron
HSC
yeah the dude who trained us in first aid is an ambo and yeah, he told some prettttttty fucked up stories. for example someone he was operating on projectile diorrhea-d all in the back of the van. and like, i get nauseous enough seeing like... needles or people throwing up lol

sarso

HSC
Sabbo said:
I applied in the last recruitment session (ended in June). It's pretty tough to get in. They get around 5000 applications for 160 jobs.

Haven't heard anything back yet but they're probably still sifting through all the applications.

There's a variety of stages you have to get through and the process can take well over a year and even if you get accepted it might still be a while till you commence training.

Suits me fine at the moment since I still have a few months of Uni left. It would be fantastic if I got in but at least I can get other jobs with my degree in the meantime.

I'm gonna keep applying though :)

I don't have any statistics but I wouldn't be suprised if there's less fires now. Part of the job is also community education about fire hazards. There's also heaps of Motor Vehicle Accidents to deal with.

Hey,

Yea the NSWFB do have a pretty cruisy job although they do deal with a lot of emergencies. I.e car accidents, natural disasters, fires, community awareness, creating pre incident plans, general house keeping of the fire station, drill and training.. and yea i have also heard some pretty disgusting stories about decapitated bodies and shit. all part and parcel.

The NSWFB tries to keep its employee's busy ! haha but thats not always the case. It really depends where your stationed at, like if you are an inner city station you attend more call outs which keep you busy like car accidents, small fires, code calls (automated fire alarms). compared to the more quiet suburban stations.

I have also applied for the 2008 recruitment campaign, I applied once before in 2006 with no luck. This time around i have attended a physical aptitute test familiarisation day and have booked in for an actual physical test during october this year. I have had the opportunity to take it earlier although i have given myself extra time to train. If i am succesful in this physical i then have another online test before having an interview..

Looking forward to getting a start! My old man is a Station Officer for the NSWFB and has been employed with them for 36 years, he loves everyday of it so im hoping WHEN i eventually get in its the same for me..

If anyone has any questions about the recruitment stages feel free to send me an email or add me to msn.. drewsta87@hotmail.com

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)