nuclear chemistry (1 Viewer)

RUBLEET

HSC
any help as to which radioisotope should i use for industrial use and the medical use.
thanx

tennille

HSC
industrial- strontium 90- used in gauging- has low energy radiation (from memory, it is a beta emitter) so that the steel can absorb all of the radiation. If there are variations in the absorption of the energy, then there is variations in the thickness of the material. I think the half like is 28 years.

medical- cobalt 60- beta and gamma emitter but beta rays are filtered out- used for treatment of cancer. very accurate- gamma rays are directed on infected area at a constant rate.

Just look for more info on them. Technetium 99m is also good for medical uses.

Dreamerish*~

Love Addict - Nakashima
HSC
RUBLEET said:
any help as to which radioisotope should i use for industrial use and the medical use.
thanx
radioisotope that YOU use? :confused:
do you mean to give examples of radioisotopes used in industry and medicine?

identify one use of a named radioisotope
in industry - sodium-24 is used as a leak detector.
in medicine - technitium-99m is used for medical diagnosis
describe the way in which the above the named industrial and medical radioistopes are used and explain their use in terms of their chemical properties
sodium-24 - leaks can be detected in water pipes or underground oil pipelines by adding sodium-24 as a tracer to the liquid and scanning along the pipe. no radiation will be detected if there is no leak. but if there was a leak, the sodium would seep into the soil surrounding the pipe, making it easy to locate the exact place of leakage. it has a short half-life of only 14.96 (some people would like to be exact ) so the concentration of radioisotopes in the liquid will not stay high for long.
technitium-99m - releases only low energy gamma rays so there will be no particles damaging the patien's body. almost any organ of the body may be investigated by using isotopes that are selectively taken up by the organ. technitium-99m has a half life of only 6 hours which is long enough to investigate changes in the human body but rapidly decays and so causes minimal damage. it can also be changed to a number of oxidation states which enables production of a wide range of biologically active chemicals.

this's from my older post. look around to see if other posts have answers to your question first :p

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
Also note that Technitium-99 comprises 50% of medicinal radioisotope use.

Further note that Molybdenum-99 is used to store Technitium-99. Because of T-99's short half-life, it generally needs to be created on the spot - which would requrie a cyclotron.

However, if you can create Molybdenum-99, with a half life of 66 hours... since it DECAYS to T-99, then basically you can create T-99 one place (as M-99) and then transport it and store it temporarily at another place, have it decay, and then use it - you don't need a nuclear reactor or a cycltron at the point of use.

xiao1985

HSC
N/A
sorry slide rule, had to point out, it's Tc -99 m an excited form of Tc - 99 is a vasty different isotope... havin half life in teh lines of millions of yrs...

Tc - 99m decays into Tc - 99

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
I see. I remembered seeing the m, but thought it was a typo. Thanks. :)

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
xiao1985 said:
sorry slide rule, had to point out, it's Tc -99 m an excited form of Tc - 99 is a vasty different isotope... havin half life in teh lines of millions of yrs...

Tc - 99m decays into Tc - 99
Technetium-99 has a half life of 212 000 years. Which explains why very little of it is found naturally. A half of life of millions of years would lead to it being more common in the earth.

Technetium-99m decays into Technetium-99 via the equation:

Tc-99m ---------> Tc-99 + γ

Technetium-99 does increase the risk of cancer slightly due to it also being a β and γ emmiter however, the amount of Tc-99m used is minisicule so doesn't form a large problem and the body naturally excretes it quickly although it remains in hair, so unless you like growing your hair down to your feet and constantly have it in medical checks there is no real danger from it.

Your body excreting half of it every 60 hours (in the same manner as a half life).

Source: http://www.epa.gov/radiation/radionuclides/technetium.htm

Last edited:

xiao1985

HSC
N/A
thx xayma =D

i shall keep that in mind..... 212 000 yrs...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)