Should we consider Nuclear power?

• Yes

Votes: 51 91.1%
  • No

Votes: 5 8.9%

• Total voters

cookkii

HSC
im not advocating coal fired energy either. im just against nuclear power, and i dont see that as a reason to insult me.

HSC
I didnt insult you, i suggested that "c'town" had a shitty economy that would benefit from an industry such as a nuclear power plant being built in the area.

You must agree that we need some form of energy. Coal is dirty and polluting. Wind/solar is unreliable and not developed enough to supply the majority of our energy. That leaves Nuclear as a clear frontrunner.

loquasagacious

NCAP Mooderator
HSC
im not advocating coal fired energy either. im just against nuclear power, and i dont see that as a reason to insult me.
Against coal, against nuclear.... in favour of the middle-ages?

In all seriousness what do you propose for our energy needs?

Sprangler

HSC
this information is regarding the past, whereas here, we are dealing with the future. we cannot begin to imagine what could happen, and what may be the long term effects of this on our country. we're not just talking about the life on the planet, but the land as well.
Yeah no one really knows what nuclear power is or what it does, there's never actually been any research done.

where are we going to dispose of the waste? let america ruin there part of the world, id rather keep australia as it is.

Nuclear power by country - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

OH NO LOOK AT ALL THOSE COUNTRIES THAT HAVE BEEN COMPLETELY RUINED AND DESTROYED BY THEIR NUCLEAR POWER PLANTS.

As well as embracing nuclear for ourselves, we should also increase uranium sales and let other countries dump their waste in our massive barren desert lands.

Last edited:

Kolefax

HSC
You realise that uranium has one of the longest decay rates? its half-life is like hundreds of thousands of years. and as its decaying its giving off gamma and beta radiation, which is of course, dangerous. Then add to that as while using a nuclear reactor, the waste its always increasing. It's not a meltdown we are worried about, its the long term effects of the waste. Which, if you know what sustainability is, not sustainable.

zstar

HSC
N/A
Nuclear power is safe.

It should be encouraged.

HSC
You realise that uranium has one of the longest decay rates? its half-life is like hundreds of thousands of years. and as its decaying its giving off gamma and beta radiation, which is of course, dangerous. Then add to that as while using a nuclear reactor, the waste its always increasing. It's not a meltdown we are worried about, its the long term effects of the waste. Which, if you know what sustainability is, not sustainable.

Wow really? I did not know any of these things thankyou for bringing them to my attention.

We have already addressed this, store the minute (yes they are minute as far as industrial waste goes) amounts of waste in the otherwise uesless desert until A) we come up with a way to reduce/reuse(already doing this)/recycle or dispose in a better way or B) other forms of power generation ie solar become VIABLE (key word kids)

cookkii

HSC
Wind/solar is unreliable and not developed enough to supply the majority of our energy. That leaves Nuclear as a clear frontrunner.

i dont know about wind, but solar energy is actually reliable, we get plenty of sun.

kudoes to Kolefax

cookkii

HSC
sorry i didnt realise you were such an expert on energy resources.

cookkii

HSC
are you really?? you wouldnt even have a clue as to who i am so i much doubt that.

HSC
You are a 16yr asian from cabramatta or somewhere equally shit, i dont need to know much more to know that i am better than you. I dont need to be an expert if i can provide citations to back up my arguements. Unlike yourself who uses unfounded claims such as "i dont know about wind, but solar energy is actually reliable, we get plenty of sun".

HSC
Because getting plenty of sun is obviously the only constraint in the useage and implementation of solar power hey

cookkii

HSC
i love how utterly wrong you are. i believe the only thing you got right is that im 16 and a girl.

HSC
You have nothing to backup your claims regarding the reliability of solar power still? Great argument then hey. Fuck off.

I believe i also said cabramatta or somewhere equally shit, all places starting with c are as shit as cabramatta therefore the only thing i was wrong about was asian. But please continue with your mindless inane ramblings about solar power being gr8 cos we got da sun

Dazza01

HSC
You have nothing to backup your claims regarding the reliability of solar power still? Great argument then hey. Fuck off.

I believe i also said cabramatta or somewhere equally shit, all places starting with c are as shit as cabramatta therefore the only thing i was wrong about was asian. But please continue with your mindless inane ramblings about solar power being gr8 cos we got da sun
I do not know why you are having a go at 'shit areas' when your idiotic cursing is just as bad as some greenhorns who live in slum areas; but I suppose you get royal shitheads in every area.

loquasagacious

NCAP Mooderator
HSC
i dont know about wind, but solar energy is actually reliable, we get plenty of sun.

kudoes to Kolefax
You are correct. It is quite sunny - for some of the day.

However much like the abundance of coal does not in itself make coal-power a good idea the abundance of sunlight does not neceasserily make solar power a good idea.

Some key limitations of photovolatics:
- they are expensive (higher cost per kw than coal/etc)
- the sun doesn't shine all day

Relative cost by generation source

As the technology advances solar power may soon become a viable power source in Australia however it is unlikely ever to be viable in less sunny areas. For example Canada, Europe, Russia and China.

Dazza01

HSC
PV energy usually needs to be supplemented with other renewable resources.

Due to Australia's abundant renewable resources, such as water (tidal energy), wind energy, PV energy, and geothermal energy, (though NZ would be better at harnessing Geo energy than Australia) it could theoretically work.

I think we need to explore our other options first before Nuclear energy is used within Australia.

xXPearsoXx

HSC
Haha i find it funny that for someone who's so 'smart', you make assumptions about a girl who is just stating her personal opinion, there's nothing wrong with that. Usually, smarter people dont make assumptions based on culture, even though she isnt asian, and if you are so "smart", then why cant you even spell the word arguments in one of your earlier comments. Just for your HELP, cause you obviously need it, its not spelt with an e :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)