Nursing 2008 Anyone? (1 Viewer)

Wooz

^wooz*y^
HSC
Che08 said:
black arm bands? maybe they were going to a funeral or something?

- not sure yet ill let you know what the uniform is after i get it.. :)
No the arm sleeves had a black band as the cuff on both arms and i think the bottom of the skirt and they were all wearing those little gold circular lapel nurses watches on their unifroms aswell.

Wooz

^wooz*y^
HSC
haha^^

Che08 said:
black arm bands? maybe they were going to a funeral or something?

- not sure yet ill let you know what the uniform is after i get it.. :)
I found out today at work from an UWS Hawkesbury nursing student that yeh those are their nursing uniforums, black edging on both sleeves.

Last edited:

Che08

HSC
oh those dresses sound pretty cute... ill have to look for them.
I dont know if id feel comfortable in dress tho... pants and shirt sounds more suitable for nursing.

Whats everyone elses uniforms like?

rozymisty

HSC
hehe wearing hats???? No nurses that I know of now wear hats! that is sooooo old nursing lol.

those nursing watches are called fog or fob watches. Go and invest in one, they are around $50-100 but you can get some for $20, check out the nursing notice boards. They are essential coz you are not allowed to wear watches for workplace health and safety reasons and coz you dont really want to get your watch dirty when you clean bums and stuff and ruin it coz your washing your hands so much. So yeah invest in a nursing watch. It looks cool too...and if you have a dress up party, go as a nurse and those watches turn on the guys apparently lol.

Um that reminded me, take care of your hands too....moisturise heaps, coz the washing all the time and the microshield soap can dry out your hands,...and use cool water, its been shown that warm water doesnt get rid of the germs any more effectively than cold water.

For my prac, we had a polo top. Qld health have the usual business like shirts and they are changing some wards to having individualised polo tops coz they are more practical etc etc...like the ortho ward i was on were organising their own shirts so pple know what ward tehy work on.

HSC
At UTS we have polo tops and pants or skirts depending on what you want to pick. I got pants because i find it more practical when u have to lift, bend and work quickly, i wouldnt be worried about anything lol

I agree with u rozy about the moisturising of hands, its def essential!

rozymisty

HSC
You may find on your first prac after wearig gloves a lot that your hands may have a rash or stuff on it, dont panic, its just your skin getting used to the powder or the latex. Most hospitals now have latex free and powder free alternatives, so if you are allergic then use those. It may jsut be your hands getting used to the gloves...and the constant hand wash.

Oh if you have eczema, try an oatmeal lotion that wil help with teh soothing, and dont use the microshield hand gel, the alcohol stings like crazy...but if you dont have cracks on your hands then use it.

shanti96

ya hasra and goodnight
HSC
lil_georgie_gal said:
I got pants because i find it more practical when u have to lift, bend and work quickly, i wouldnt be worried about anything lol
LOL yeah wearing the skirt makes you a little more self conscious than usual. Though it looks more appealing than the pants...

I suffer eczema on my neck and upper arms so no worries :)

HolyDang

HSC
rozymisty said:
PS I cant believe how low the OP (qld entry thing) has become! When I enrolled, it was an 11, and now its a 14! i guess they are desparte for nurses so they lower the OP..sad kinda in that it 'dumbs' down the profession. But I read that nursing and other health courses were very popular.
Sorry for digging up this thread from the grave....but the mention of nursing in Queensland caught my interest! I don't see people talk much about QLD Nursing on this forum (I wish people did more though), so yeah, kinda the reason why I'm posting here ^.^

But anyway! Tis true, people shouldn't judge the 'intelligence' of courses by what their OP is, but unfortunately, people do anyway. Nursing was my first, second, third, fourth...(okay, you get the picture now) preference for QTAC when I applied, I felt that I can easily get in by thinking what the OP requirement is, hehe. It's quite satisfying, really. So. OP 14, yeah. *thumbs up* But THAT doesn't mean I will sit back and relax like a monkey for the rest of year 12. Oh, why am I rambling on when I know no one cares? ANYWAY, for those Brissy students who are interested in Nursing or thinking of moving to Qld for study, visit this site:

http://thinknursing.com

It gives you a REALLY good insight on Nursing. Stuff. Okay, there's my two pence.
Take care Nursing students! NURSES ROCKS. My socks. :wave:

rozymisty

HSC
hey holydang, if you want advice on Nursing in qld, just drop me a PM.

I dont think you should lag behind in yr 12, not worth it. Just do your best and see how you go.

HolyDang

HSC
Ohmygosh! ...sorry for sounding rude but I just looked at your profile and it says you graduated at QUT and studying Nursing! O_O (that's where I want to go)

That is incredibly awesome. I'm so happy now, seriously.

I have another question...all my friends says Nursing is a 'horrible' job, including some nurses at Mater and thinks I'm crazy for 'dreaming' to become a nurse. What's so horrible with wiping people's butts? Well...that's just one part of the job. I love cleaning and people and don't mind it at all, seriously. One thing I learnt in life so is that you gotta leave out the negative things and do what you believe is right! I say stuff those who tries to fill my head with bad ideas. I wish Nursing wasn't so underappreciated and undervalued. Ha.

Sense?

...I should eat.

HSC
N/A
Its been a long time since i last posted on this site....

I was wondering how everyone is going with their nursing studies? was is all you have expected? ive completed 2 years now with 2 more to go. What area soes everyone think there going in to?

tam

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)