Obama's Oslo Speech (1 Viewer)

A High Way Man

all ova da world
HSC
isnt going to get much coverage but i thought it was brilliant

Text of Barack Obama Nobel Prize acceptance speech | Top of the Ticket | Los Angeles Times

Money quotes

I make this statement mindful of what Martin Luther King said in this same ceremony years ago – “Violence never brings permanent peace. It solves no social problem: it merely creates new and more complicated ones.” As someone who stands here as a direct consequence of Dr. King’s life’s work, I am living testimony to the moral force of non-violence. I know there is nothing weak –nothing passive – nothing naïve – in the creed and lives of Gandhi and King.

But as a head of state sworn to protect and defend my nation, I cannot be guided by their examples alone. I face the world as it is, and cannot stand idle in the face of threats to the American people. For make no mistake: evil does exist in the world. A non-violent movement could not have halted Hitler’s armies. Negotiations cannot convince al Qaeda’s leaders to lay down their arms. To say that force is sometimes necessary is not a call to cynicism – it is a recognition of history; the imperfections of man and the limits of reason.

~

America will always be a voice for those aspirations that are universal. We will bear witness to the quiet dignity of reformers like Aung Sang Suu Kyi; to the bravery of Zimbabweans who cast their ballots in the face of beatings; to the hundreds of thousands who have marched silently th0rough the streets of Iran. It is telling that the leaders of ... See Morethese governments fear the aspirations of their own people more than the power of any other nation. And it is the responsibility of all free people and free nations to make clear to these movements that hope and history are on their side

~

So let us reach for the world that ought to be – that spark of the divine that still stirs within each of our souls. Somewhere today, in the here and now, a soldier sees he’s outgunned but stands firm to keep the peace. Somewhere today, in this world, a young protestor awaits the brutality of her government, but has the courage to march on. Somewhere today, a mother facing punishing poverty still takes the time to teach her child, who believes that a cruel world still has a place for his dreams.

Let us live by their example. We can acknowledge that oppression will always be with us, and still strive for justice. We can admit the intractability of depravation, and still strive for dignity. We can understand that there will be war, and still strive for peace. We can do that – for that is the story of human progress; that is the hope of all the world; and at this moment of challenge, that must be our work here on Earth.

Planck

Banned
HSC
N/A
We officially have had a president say war is peace.

Fuck yeah

Nebuchanezzar

Banned
HSC
if i were a peaceful norweigen i'd have stormed out of that room
what a disgrace.

no surprises that obama is a warmonger because he's a moslem

JonathanM

Antagonist
HSC
Ha, Israeli Prime Ministers have been preaching this for decades. Trust me, the only reason he's getting away with it is because he's black and is currently in favor with the lefties. Make one wrong move, or remove his lips from their buttocks, and watch them turn on him like a rabid mob.

jennyfromdabloc

coked up sociopath
HSC
Obama is a brilliant orator, with the world's finest speech writers at his disposal.

Sure he can say some rousing words, but its what he does that counts.

Don't be fooled by his slick facade. He is a monster, just like Bush, just like Clinton, just like ever president for the last few decades.

At least with Bush it was obvious how bad he was. Obama has fooled so many people who are desperately clinging to some hope the government can be a force for good.

Last edited:

SashatheMan

StudyforEver
HSC
N/A
I am a big supporter of Obama, but i am at a point where colourful words don't impress me, when i see troop surges come just before that.

jennyfromdabloc

coked up sociopath
HSC
Well that's true. It's a paradox. If you want peace, you must prepare for war.
Preparing for war is one thing; ie. have weapons and trained men ready for an attack.

He is not "preparing" for war at all. The United States deliberately started a war for no good reason, and Obama is continuing to invest more troops in that war.

They are the belligerents. They are the "bad guys."

spartan31234

HSC
The war in Afghanistan was authorized by the UNSC ( un security council).

HSC
Uni Grad
Afganistan was the right decision but Iraq was just Bush bein a moron.

jennyfromdabloc

coked up sociopath
HSC
Afganistan was the right decision but Iraq was just Bush bein a moron.
Invading Afghanistan has cost hundred of thousands of lives and trillions of dollars (money that could have been used to save lives).

The US has been in Afghanistan for almost a decade and the bloodshed is still continuing.

What good has come of it that is worth such an enormous expense?

Planck

Banned
HSC
N/A
The war in Afghanistan was authorized by the UNSC ( un security council).
I guess that means if I get a bunch of mates together and we convene and decided we're allowed to kick homeless people to death because they smell bad, that should be acceptable, too?

HSC
Uni Grad
The most heinous crimes against humanity actually become quite noble and good if they are approved by the certain people with fancy titles.
Well, sorry to break the terrible news but we dont live in a perfect world, war has to exist to keep the bad guys from hurting even more good guys.

jennyfromdabloc

coked up sociopath
HSC
Well, sorry to break the terrible news but we dont live in a perfect world, war has to exist to keep the bad guys from hurting even more good guys.
America are the bad guys.

They armed and funded the Taliban when it suited them during the cold war. Now they are fighting against them so they can establish a puppet government that will be just as corrupt.

By your logic should we depose every corrupt regime? Should we go to war in North Korea, Turkmenistan, Somalia, Chad, Uzbekistan and Eritrea, just to name a few extremely oppressive totalitarian regimes where the people are suffering just as bad or worse than they were in Afghanistan?

Saying war has to exist is a pathetic non answer. I asked you what good has come it that makes it worth loosing hundred of thousands of lives? Would you care to answer that with something more specific than worn out platitudes?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)