Obtaining SC Results (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Elite13

HSC
Hey guys,

Is it possible to obtain SC results from the Board of Studies Website, or do we all have to collect it from school?

Kujah

HSC
N/A
Yeah. The results are released on December 13th and you'll probabaly obtain them on that day, or a specified day that your school chooses eg-Graduation Day.

You can have the choice of getting your HSC results online when you're in Year 12 ;)

Elite13

HSC
They must have many people marking the papers to release them so fast. If so, wouldnt that cause inconsistency?

Kujah

HSC
N/A
The Board has lots of markers at its disposal :) Even if they mark it fast, they get checked and re-checked by the supervisors (or at least that's what my teachers told me) :)

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
The SC marking process started last week with Senior Markers starting on Wednesday (I have colleagues who are Senior Markers at SC) and the rest of the markers were in on Friday or Saturday.

Each group marks one question on the paper and after briefing to set standards (that is what the SMs were doing on Wednesday - locating sample scripts at each of the mark levels) they started actual marking.

At the SC each script is single marked (unlike the HSC which is double marked) but there are regular checks made on the standards through what are called 'control scripts' which every marker marking that question has to mark and if a marker is off on the mark it is explained why they are off and the SM also spot checks each marker throughout the process to ensure that they are marking at the set standard.

The SC will be marked by the end of this week or early next week.

The MC questions are all computer marked which also speeds up the process as these don't need to be seen by a marker.

homijoe

HSC
cem said:
The SC will be marked by the end of this week or early next week.
how come our sc results are released a month later if they are marked 2 weeks after the exam

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
The marking process is just the beginning and they have the HSC to do at the same time.

After all the exams are marked the aligning process has to be finished.

This is where they adjust the raw exam marks to the scaled marks that you get. This process won't begin for SC until part way through the marking process and will finish a week or so afterwards but... the BOS only spends two days in consultation with the various judging panels to finalise these aligned marks. These two days are in early December and will entail all HSC and SC courses over the same two days. One consultation committee might go from SC History to HSC Japanese and then onto 2U Maths before morning tea and so on.

Some HSC subjects have already finished being marked (Geography, Chemistry and Modern History that I know about) but their judging panels haven't finished their work and the SC judging panels won't finish their job until late next week I believe. Some HSC subjects are just beginning the marking process and won't be finished for another two weeks and then they have to finish the judging process before the consultation committees meet.

The Consultation committees ask the judges about how they reached their determination for the cut-offs for the bands and then the committee decides whether to go with the panel's recommendation or not (and the panel isn't told - or at least we weren't told when I was on the judging panel a few years ago - it was one of our complaints that we did all that work and then never got told the result).

The Consultation meetings are usually late in the first week in December and then all the marks have to go into the computers and the results printed. Printing 80,000 results sheets for each SC subject (you get a separate sheet for English, Maths, Science, History, Geography and Computers) plus the actual certificate, which can't be done until all the necessary requirements of the certificate have been met (i.e. after checking students have either done the exams or satisfactorily explained why they didn't do so) takes time - a couple of days at least. Then they have to be put into envelopes and sent to schools. Some of the reason for the delay is simply the sheer number of candidates and the amount of paper required to be sent to each student.

clintmyster

Prophet 9 FTW
HSC
Uni Grad
cem said:
The marking process is just the beginning and they have the HSC to do at the same time.

After all the exams are marked the aligning process has to be finished.

This is where they adjust the raw exam marks to the scaled marks that you get. This process won't begin for SC until part way through the marking process and will finish a week or so afterwards but...
i thort the sc does not get scaled?

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
clintmyster said:
i thort the sc does not get scaled?
It gets aligned.

In other words the mark you actually get isn't the raw mark for the exam.

The 'scaling' in this case is simply deciding where the cut-offs are going to be for the different bands.

Scaling for the HSC involves the comparison between subjects as well as aligning of the marks to the bands.

That aligning process happens for SC and HSC but scaling by comparing results from one subject to another doesn't happen at the SC because no common number, such as the UAI, is needed after the HSC. The HSC scaling process is the one that allows the powers that be to compare the relative ability of students who do say Chemistry with those who do Society and Culture (subjects chosen at random).

The aligning process is the one that allows the BOS to report that about 1% of the state in each subject got less than 50% in the exam. The real percentage is a lot higher but the BOS describes 50% as meeting the minimum standard and not as 'pass' or 'fail'.

I used the word 'scaling' as most students on this thread would be SC students and I assumed that that word would be easier to explain than aligning - sorry.

homijoe

HSC
cem said:
It gets aligned.

In other words the mark you actually get isn't the raw mark for the exam.

The 'scaling' in this case is simply deciding where the cut-offs are going to be for the different bands.

Scaling for the HSC involves the comparison between subjects as well as aligning of the marks to the bands.

That aligning process happens for SC and HSC but scaling by comparing results from one subject to another doesn't happen at the SC because no common number, such as the UAI, is needed after the HSC. The HSC scaling process is the one that allows the powers that be to compare the relative ability of students who do say Chemistry with those who do Society and Culture (subjects chosen at random).

The aligning process is the one that allows the BOS to report that about 1% of the state in each subject got less than 50% in the exam. The real percentage is a lot higher but the BOS describes 50% as meeting the minimum standard and not as 'pass' or 'fail'.

I used the word 'scaling' as most students on this thread would be SC students and I assumed that that word would be easier to explain than aligning - sorry.

So if someone gets 94% as their raw mark in the sct 4 computers or maths is it possible for that mark to go down to 88 or lower than a band 6?:confused:

cs01001

HSC
Marks only get aligned up in the SC. Don't think it ever gets aligned down even in the HSC. I feel marks in computing won't be aligned...

militiaman

HSC
So does this mean that for example (very roughly) in one test the top 10% score raw marks of 95-85, this is then aligned to be closer to 100-90 to have a more accurate band 6?

Not these exact figures of course.

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
In all HSC and SC exams the marks are aligned upwards for the bands.

This is because the HSC and SC marks are reported on a scale out of 100 but most students (about 98 - 99%) of students meet the minimum requirement and thus get a reported mark of at least 50 but in reality a large % of students get raw marks less than 50 but meet the requirements of minimum achievement.

The marks reported are the aligned marks not the raw marks.

Most people would be horrified if they saw just how low the raw mark being reported as 50 is in some subjects. Of course these cut-offs vary from year to year but they can be very low.

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
kaz1 said:
so 90 is not always band 6

A raw mark of 90 will always get Band 6 as marks are aligned upwards.

A raw mark of 90 would probably rise to between 93 - 96 depending on the cut-off point.

In most subjects raw marks of mid-80s ends up at 90 with all raw marks above that also going up.

From my training days for the aligning process and doing the process itself and talking to others doing it the whole exercise is to work out how low is the cut-off for students who have achieved the 'minimum' standard and to work up from there for the other cut-offs.

If the cut-off for Band 1/2 is 25% then the other cut-offs (Band 2/3, 3/4. 4/5, 5/6) would all be worked out but as 25 is going to = 50 you can see that the other cut-offs would also rise e.g. 36=60, 48=70, 63=80, 83=90 (these marks are purely fiction and are not reflective of any specific course or year but just to show the way the marks are aligned).

bored of sc

HSC
cem said:
A raw mark of 90 will always get Band 6 as marks are aligned upwards.

A raw mark of 90 would probably rise to between 93 - 96 depending on the cut-off point.

In most subjects raw marks of mid-80s ends up at 90 with all raw marks above that also going up.

From my training days for the aligning process and doing the process itself and talking to others doing it the whole exercise is to work out how low is the cut-off for students who have achieved the 'minimum' standard and to work up from there for the other cut-offs.

If the cut-off for Band 1/2 is 25% then the other cut-offs (Band 2/3, 3/4. 4/5, 5/6) would all be worked out but as 25 is going to = 50 you can see that the other cut-offs would also rise e.g. 36=60, 48=70, 63=80, 83=90 (these marks are purely fiction and are not reflective of any specific course or year but just to show the way the marks are aligned).
So does this mean a mark of say 95 could be scaled up to 100? This doesn't seem right as 100 is a "perfect" score.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)