Of mice and men (1 Viewer)

bicolap

Hey guys
i have to wright an essay for of mice and men i was just wondering if any one has done it and can post it up so i can get an idea because i have to answer a question to relate to the text... the question is... how does the problems of each character relate to the point of the text

kow_dude

HSC
Yea i studied this novel for preliminary, though i think i chucked all my information away.

brooklyn_angel17

hey, whats the essay on?

i studied of mice and men for prelim but i remember it fairly well and i have loads of stuff on it. but i have so much i could not be bothered to write it all up so tll me ur essay question and ill give u a few pointers.

bicolap

the essays on...

i have to right a radio interview not an essay sorry.....
anywayz the question is how do the characters and events contribute to the main themes of the script and i have to at least do 3 themes... can you help

Fortian09

HSC
Re: the essays on...

Hi all I saw this post and I thought i might add to it
My 1000 word essay question is
"How does 'Of Mice and Men' show the fragility of the American Dream?
can I please please please get some help?
like some dot points would be good for me to expand

N

Nicola1616

It's a while since I've studied it so I'll do some research and write something tomorrow. I love doing radio interviews!! Can you do one character for each theme you choose? That would make the most sense to me. Also the 'fragility' question - I'll do some research first but I would start by thinking about what you really need to have to live the American Dream. What are the dreams and desires of some of the main characters and what keeps them unfulfilled? The American Dream is made fragile by all of the loopholes which are only discovered through bitter experience. Predjudice, lack of education, opportunity, money, resources etc can all be things that will tear that dream apart or keep it forever out of reach for some. So the lives of some remain barren and desperate, empty despite "The best laid plans of Mice and Men".
I'll write more tomorrow.

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
My essay below. You'll have to bear with the American Beauty bits, though.

Copy at your own risk, because I'm pretty sure that your English teacher(s) check(s) BoS. [I know mine does].

Last edited:

The Kaiser

HSC
Re: the essays on...

Fortian09 said:
Hi all I saw this post and I thought i might add to it
My 1000 word essay question is
"How does 'Of Mice and Men' show the fragility of the American Dream?
can I please please please get some help?
like some dot points would be good for me to expand
- Mention Context (Great Depression, causes many of the previous attitudes of the traditional American Dream [ working hard to achieve ones goals] to change. Use examples from the text to expresses the need for a Dream [George and Lennie's agarian Dream] in order to define a sense of hope and financial security [relate this to context)

- Mention Dreams (or lack thereof) of the other various characters within the text [Curley's Wife, Slim, Carlson, Candy, Crooks etc] mention what version of the American Dream means to them and define whether that this kind of Dream was achievable [ Might want to mention context as well]

- Remember language and literary techniques, to support your argument.

N

Nicola1616

Re: Of mice and men-radio&essay

How does ‘Of Mice and Men’ show the fragility of the American Dream?

Just some thoughts for you.

I think there is so much around for you about this book that, as always, the thing will be to find your own voice. I think the most important thing is to devise a really strong thesis at the outset. The topic question doesn’t dispute that the American dream is fragile, so I guess that’s your starting point and the ‘How’ are the techniques used or the language forms and features. The important thing is that you outline your own stance on this and stand squarely in it as you write. So, for instance, you might want to take a position like:

-Steinbeck’s novel, Of Mice and Men, is about the power of a person’s dream for something better. A dream of this kind sustains and uplifts. It makes tolerable all kinds of hardships and makes bearable loneliness and sorrow. It is in this form, a cherished vision, that the ‘American dream’ is robust and life-enhancing. The fulfilment of dreams however, especially for the downtrodden, for the fringe-dwellers, for the dispossessed, is as fragile and intangible as a breeze.

That’s just off the top of my head and it may not be a position that you want to take but it’s taking the question and making a claim you can then write to. You could just as easily, if you wanted to, say that the American Dream is indeed fragile and is fact spurious and perpetrated by the wealthy to keep the poor working for them. You could say that Steinbeck depicts the inhumanity of letting a man dream of something that will never be his. I thing there’s evidence for both – I’m just saying – always have a point of view. Below is a quote from the same poem as the novels title and it really does allude to the emptiness and sorrow that results from having a dream of something that is beyond your reach.

An' lea'e us nought but grief an' pain,
For promis'd joy
!

Radio Interview

If you read the stuff above you’ll see that the beauty of a radio interview is that you can present both points of view. You need to make sure that you have a reasonably knowledgeable presenter so they can really contribute and you don’t waste your word limit with stuff like: “Oh really, so what else do you think”.

Obviously you should deal primarily with the theme of ‘the dream’ or whatever you want to call it, say, ‘idealism vs reality’. Then you can use both ‘characters’ to outline different ideas. Say your guest is called Lennie, then something like:

Lennie: Steinbeck knew the people he was writing about. As a young man he learned about migrant laborers, usually unmarried men recruited to work during harvest seasons, from his own experience as a worker on company-owned ranches. He deliberately chose to write about this previously ignored class of ranch workers. Lennie and George’s dream, then, has a sort of universal element. When Crook says of the hundreds of men “come by on the road”, that: “ … every damm one of ‘em is got a little piece of land in his head. And never a goddamn one of ‘em gets it”, it’s Steinbeck speaking of the plight of all of these workers.

Interviewer: So the reality of these men’s lives is stronger than their idealism? I mean doesn’t the dream die with Lennie? Would say that in the end, the dream is not only fragile, but futile?

Lennie: Well that’s certainly the great pathos of the novel isn’t it. These men are the disenfranchised. They are like mice in the maze of life – same old wheel, same old cage.

Interviewer: But isn’t it also possible that Steinbeck was wanting to convey the power of hope and love. Isn’t that what triumphs in the end? I mean the ‘dream’ does come true for Lennie. His last words are: “I can see it! Right over there! I can see it!”. The dream sustains him right ‘till the very end. Isn’t it the only thing that sustains Candy? Curley’s wife?

Lennie: Yes, but it’s a lie isn’t it? I mean George tells Candy: “I think I knowed it from the very first, I knowed we’d never do her”.

And so on – I don’t want to bore you but I guess that’s the thing you have to do – use what happens to characters – what they say – to back up ideas behind the themes.

Good Luck.

Fortian09

HSC

Does anyone have an essay for the fragility of the american in of mice and men?

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A

First you asked for dotpoints, you got the help, and now, you're just asking for an essay. Doesn't really give a good impression.

Fortian09

HSC

I noe i noe but how do i write 1000 words with 3 dot points
I appreciate the help i'm getting, maybe i'm taking it for granted and i'm sorry.
ahh wells

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A

My essay is pretty much discussing the failure of the American Dream. With a bit of twisting and turning, I'm pretty sure you could change that into the fragility of it.

And 3 points is plenty to talk about for 1000 words. Think about it, introduction 200 words, 3 paragraphs, 200 words each and 200 word conclusion. There's 1000 words.

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A

That was just a practise essay, we don't get marks. We just got comments. Was it really that bad? =\

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A

jellybelly59 said:
LOL sifness bad aerath! for practice it looked as if u put in a quite a bit of effort reaching 1800 words! i liked it :D
Yeah, I put in quite a lot of effort - because I wouldn't really have to write a new one in preparation for the actual exam. :)
But whether or not it was good/bad is up to interpretation.

Fortian09

HSC

Hey can anyone here draw aspects of the American Dream? In mice and Men and American Beauty?

nee dhelp asap
aspects as in
Familial/relational, socio-economic and spiritual dimension

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)