O'Farrell to Challenge Debnam (1 Viewer)

volition

arr.
HSC
Iron said:
Policy wonks in that they have not interest in the critical analysis/background etc of the policy - just cogs who wouldnt really know if they believed in it or not.
The cliche is banging on about whatever's in the opinion polls.
I think it's just bad that our system makes it so that politicians have little incentive to care about the long run because they generally only have to think about 'how to get voted back in next election'. Not that I have a better alternative or anything, just my 2c.

kokodamonkey

HSC
Nebuchanezzar said:
Considering that the control of services is administered primarily by state governments, it should be expected that members of a party who have a comparably higher dedication to the administration of services/welfare would want to go there. By comparison, in addition to the lack of administration that's involved with federal politics, the only reason that I can see for someone entering that arena would be for media coverage and fame. The reason likes therein...
too much beauracrats in state. go fedral then just blame the states

Nebuchanezzar

Banned
HSC
Pity that Debnam wasn't elected so he could flaunt his absurd quotas, rounding up public servants, giving them the boot and then returning to the uber-comfortable life in Vaucluse.

Black Faery

HSC
N/A
jb_nc said:
LOL Vaucluse LOL. Supposedly, he lives in a modest home in that suburb. Just because he doesn't live in a housing slum in South-West Sydney, he's lost all all credibility with Labor voters.

And really, why do you give a toss because he wanted to sack 20 000 workers? I'd rather the money be spent on funding things the state needs to make it a better place to live.
Debnam intended to sack the people that run government, and keep himself in a job. If the Liberals really cared about cutting waste, they would abolish the legislative council and halve the numbers in the assembly.

kokodamonkey

HSC
Nebuchanezzar said:
Pity that Debnam wasn't elected so he could flaunt his absurd quotas, rounding up public servants, giving them the boot and then returning to the uber-comfortable life in Vaucluse.
thats the problem with the union propaganda people like Nebuchanezzar believes that he was actually goin to go around firing police and nurses.

frog12986

The Commonwealth
HSC
I must say, on election day, I could pick every person that was intending to vote for the ALP. They each had this huge chip on their shoulder.. quite noticeable..

It's good to know that the politics of envy is still rife in ALP ranks.

Josie

Everything's perfect!
HSC
I could pick all the people intending to vote for Liberal.. oh wait, there were none.

Tulipa

Loose lips sink ships
to the left, a little below the right and right in
HSC
Josie said:
I could pick all the people intending to vote for Liberal.. oh wait, there were none.
Unless you were in my electorate.

Davidson. Biggest Liberal win in the state (I believe).

If you voted Labor... Yeah well you just didn't.

EDIT: The biggest Lib win was Ku-ring-gai. Yup, the electorate next to me.

Last edited:

Josie

Everything's perfect!
HSC
Oh yeah, I'm talking my electorate.

Liberals get about the same amount of votes as the Greens do around here. Usually less.

menelaus

HSC
why is the difference between liberal and labor always reduced to the haves and the have-nots? there are wealthy members in the labor party. people forget that stances on many areas of policy are not determined by people's economic situation.

anyway, back to the issue at hand, i thought it was funny that when howard was asked why liberal govts in all states and territories were struggling was because all the talented liberal politicans were in federal politics. yeah right.

Josie

Everything's perfect!
HSC
The Liberals like to define themselves in terms of economics.

lengy

HSC
Because at the end of the day that's all they care about.

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
lengy said:
Because at the end of the day that's all they care about.
Yes, and what's wrong with that? What aspect of governance doesn't, in the end, lead back to economics? The arts, education, healthcare, pollution, law enforcement, what you eat for lunch and the keyboard you're using right now are the results of transactions between two or more entities that are regulated, or not regulated, by some form of intervention into the economy, be it by acting as a buyer, a seller or by regulating the actions of other buyers or sellers.

The denial of any freedom means some form of economic regulation, for example:
- To take away freedom of speech a government would need to regulate the media, a service provided by one group to another, or become the "seller" of information in its own right.
- To take away my freedom to own a gun, the government would have to regulate who is allowed to be a "seller" of guns, and who is allowed to be a "buyer".
- To deny someone the right to an abortion the government would need to regulate the "selling" of the service so as to ensure only rape and incest cases received it.

This is, in essence, why I am a member of the Liberal party. I believe that economic progress under a right wing government will continue down a progression to a greater degree of freedom, and along the way restrictive social values will have the rug pulled out from under them.

kokodamonkey

HSC
withoutaface said:
Yes, and what's wrong with that? What aspect of governance doesn't, in the end, lead back to economics? The arts, education, healthcare, pollution, law enforcement, what you eat for lunch and the keyboard you're using right now are the results of transactions between two or more entities that are regulated, or not regulated, by some form of intervention into the economy, be it by acting as a buyer, a seller or by regulating the actions of other buyers or sellers.

The denial of any freedom means some form of economic regulation, for example:
- To take away freedom of speech a government would need to regulate the media, a service provided by one group to another, or become the "seller" of information in its own right.
- To take away my freedom to own a gun, the government would have to regulate who is allowed to be a "seller" of guns, and who is allowed to be a "buyer".
- To deny someone the right to an abortion the government would need to regulate the "selling" of the service so as to ensure only rape and incest cases received it.

This is, in essence, why I am a member of the Liberal party. I believe that economic progress under a right wing government will continue down a progression to a greater degree of freedom, and along the way restrictive social values will have the rug pulled out from under them.
can i buy you a drink?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)