Offer (1 Viewer)

blinds

HSC
I got my first pref commerce-marketing which i 'was' happy about, BUT i just read that macquarie marks HARD and rank their students... and hardly give out HDs and Ds, now that would be an issue coz employers scrutinise marks more than where you come from, so i have been lead to believe....

Now im thinking of maybe rejecting MQ and going for a 2nd round offer with UTS, is it hard getting a 2nd round offer with uts Commerce? Coz i heard UTS really hand out Ds

Advice would be appreciated :)

Logjammin'

HSC
It just means that the top students will always get D's and HD's. It can be a useful way of determining grades if the exams are hard, and nobody gets the raw mark that would be a distinction or such.

blinds

HSC
im considering knocking back MQ and trying for a 2nd round offer with UTS
Employers really look at marks and it would be really really HARD getting HDs and Ds at Macquarie, wat does every1 think?

rcr4fags

HSC
N/A
go uts. they have one of the best graduate emplyment rates. is it because they have the better students? no. actually lots of them are real dumb , high % r from tafe.

they get the jobs because they have higher marks coz uts gives DN out like candy

blinds

HSC
Im asking for advice, from people in uni or have a great knowledge in this area, not petty comments. I am not quitting MAC, im simply weighing up my options, MQ does have commerce-marketing and i believe the only uni to offer that course.

BUT

In saying so, UTS do hand out so many Ds, and employers love that!

So advice? Opinions?

Also UTS would take a 30 min train ride, and MQ would take 2 trains and a bus and take 1:30 to get to, but i was going to avoid that due to to the course in which they offer, but now with the realisation of the ranking system im unsure and insecure...

KarmaKitten

HSC
Where on earth did you get the information that UTS offers 'soo many' D's? People work for Distinctions. I cant imagine Distinctions are any easier to get at UTS than at MQ.

Pwnage101

HSC
N/A
shouldnt u have weighed up your options before main rounds preferences closed 2 weeks ago?

anyways, yes u can apply for late round at UTS, but id say ud need a UIAI >98.5 to have a reasonable shot at getting in, but in any case accept that offer

So, to sum up, what i would do is change ur pref so UTS i s no. 1, and accept amcq's offer. Now, u have essentially an extra 2 weeks to decide whihc one u want to go to (assuming u get late round offer from UTS)...

blinds

HSC
Karma, ill say this again, MQ "RANK" their students, so only a certain percentage get Ds, other UNIs dont.

My uai just barely scrapes through the final uai cutoff, does that mean i would have a very very low percentage of getting UTS?

And do other people think i should go UTS rather than MQ, see the thing is MQ is the only uni to offer commerce-marketing...

Logjammin'

HSC
Karma, ill say this again, MQ "RANK" their students, so only a certain percentage get Ds, other UNIs dont.

My uai just barely scrapes through the final uai cutoff, does that mean i would have a very very low percentage of getting UTS?

And do other people think i should go UTS rather than MQ, see the thing is MQ is the only uni to offer commerce-marketing...
You do realise that the RANK system can be a double-edged sword?

chill the fuck out, dude.

erm

HSC
I'd say next to nil.

Grow some balls pls.

rcr4fags

HSC
N/A

u major in marketing. doesnt matter what your degree says.

employers care about your grades not whats written on you b.comm degree, which u never show anyway

blinds

HSC
can you explain about how you rekon it can be a double edge sword? how can it work in my favour, as in like id be one of the top students and consistantly get Ds? Id probably be an average student...

Logjammin'

HSC
It can work in your favour if the exam was hard on everybody.

And if you perform to an average standard, it may or may not work against you if the exam was easy.

And I don't mean hard and easy from a personal opinion, but rather across the board.

GreenLeaf

consultant
HSC
N/A
Im asking for advice, from people in uni or have a great knowledge in this area, not petty comments.
Stupid question, stupid answers.
If you want underserving good marks, go do your degree in the desert. No competition there.

Employers look for skill. If you get plenitful HDs from UTS but know jackshit compared to someone experienced from MAQ who got *mere* C-D's, the employer will choose the MAQ student.

rcr4fags

HSC
N/A
Stupid question, stupid answers.
If you want underserving good marks, go do your degree in the desert. No competition there.

Employers look for skill. If you get plenitful HDs from UTS but know jackshit compared to someone experienced from MAQ who got *mere* C-D's, the employer will choose the MAQ student.
never, u need the marks to get an interview, then it will be up to your looks

grades -> looks -> job

GreenLeaf

consultant
HSC
N/A
experience > fits job description > grades > looks > job

2 years after graduation, the Grades factor is taken out completely because it will then be irrelevant to continuous improvement.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)