Official Drew's Thread 2005 (1 Viewer)

Templar

P vs NP
HSC
lukebennett said:
yeah well i used to train for swimming quite regularly like at least 5 times a week then stopped and havent trained properly for about 6 months
Apart from swimming, what other sports did you do for Barker in CAS?

lukebennett

Happy Member
HSC
i did athletics too. middle distance but im more suited to (when im fit) 3km and 5km +

i like cross country better though. more suited to hills and rough terrain and all that

Last edited:

Collin

HSC
N/A
melbournian said:
Proper bulk?

why wait to winter?

Fair enough about the 1.5 gram thing. Its going to be seriously hard to get even 1 gram though, when college goes back.

I do superset a bit - but not on everything....but i think my benching needs a bit of a shock. Like today I was struggling to bench significantly below my max.

I do about 6 sets for compounds, is this possibly too much.

Also, the other thing I really want to do is improve deadlifts. Like I am constantly worried about my form (its not horrible, but far from perfect). My deadlifts are disproportionate to what i bench or squat or whatever. I think it might be that my lower back strength is disproportionatly weaker. Any ideas how I can improve it?
Well proper bulk as in, heaps of calories.. and not worrying about fat so much. You will tend to gain a bit of fat but with that heaps of muscle mass. People generally bulk in the winter so you can't see the fat so much since you're covered up due to cold. Then you have a proper cutting season during summer cause everyone wants their sixpacks (and all the glorious muscle at it's low-fat defined state).

6 sets isn't bad, just make sure you keep the rest times low.. unless you want to purely concentrate on strength. I usually keep the last set on my compounds a 1 or 2 rep max, and I also have a warmup and warmdown set too.

And yes, you certainly dont wanna superset too much, or else your body adapts and the 'shocking method' obviously becomes erm.. shockless.

If you have a relatively weak lower back, it certainly may hamper your deadlifts. Just get a personal trainer to see you do a few sets. As long as you're not getting alot of back pain or stuff which may indicate a much more serious technique problem. If you read articles in strength though, most tend to indicate something common - EATING.. if you really wanna explode your benches, deads, squats etc.. you've gotta eat like an animal, i.e proper bulk.

Collin

HSC
N/A
melbournian said:
Oh, and one last thing.

Currently I have a pwo shake like 2 mins after i finish working out, than have carbs 20-30mins later, than have a 2nd pwo shake 1 hour after the 1st. This is what a friend recommends, however I think I should be having one first thing in the morning instead. Whats your opinion?
Have the carbs with your protein straight after the workout, don't wait 30 minutes. Right after a workout your body is in a highly catabolic state. The muscle wasting hormone cortisol is rampant, and is eager to help demolish your progress. What buffers catabolism? An insulin spike. And hence the carbs come in.

In the morning, I wake up with 5g of glutamine, a protein shake and a huge breakfast. I mean, your body has been fasting for 8 or so hours... we need to desperately kick it back into anabolic action.

Templar

P vs NP
HSC
JKDDragon said:
In the morning, I wake up with 5g of glutamine, a protein shake and a huge breakfast. I mean, your body has been fasting for 8 or so hours... we need to desperately kick it back into anabolic action.
A massive shake with low GI before bed also helps.

Collin

HSC
N/A
Templar said:
A massive shake with low GI before bed also helps.
Very true. I also eat alot of slow burning protein before bed during bulks.. usually 10 egg whites, some meat or something or something like that.

lukebennett

Happy Member
HSC
i like fresh tuna fillets but canned fish tastes crap. it makes me gag

that is a lot of protein

lukebennett

Happy Member
HSC
at least its in melbourne. i cant smell it. i hat can fish smell. im very sensitive to some odours

lukebennett

Happy Member
HSC
get bicarb soda .that shud help with odour and stains

brought to you by "brand power" helping you buy better

(btw boogert. are you finding this interesting. looking but want speak? huh? huh? huh? oh well if your going to be unfriendly)

Last edited:

Collin

HSC
N/A
melbournian said:
That could be why my bench ain't improving too much. Trying to seek out a spotter (down here the gym I go to rarely has more than two other people there) , usually means that rest between sets is higher.

When I started doing deadlifts (like 2.5 months ago), I was getting pulled up by the personal trainers and was getting back pain. I find now that as long as I have a mirror side on, my technique is ok (although far from perfect). I do find deadlifting the most boring thing ever.

But I am eating like an animal.....3000+ calories is what i've read to 'bulk'. I am definantly getting that 6 out of 7 days a week (I'm practically eating the exact same meals every day) - which when I added them up, exceeded 3000. I seriously do not know how I can eat more.

Fat I don't care about. Obviously I;ve been trying to avoid saturated fats and the like.
Going past failure in a set is very crucial if you want to reap every last drop of the rewards.. like 6 time Mr Olympia champion would say 'Once you reach failure, your workout has just begun'. Spotters are immensely useful for benching. When you bench by yourself, you tend to put the bar up just before failure, since obviously if you fail.. you're fucked.. with a spotter, he effectively lowers the weight for you JUST enough for you to keep going past positive failure. It's like drop sets, really. Plus if you have a good spotter whos also into the gym.. you can both push each other and it's great motivation.

Deadlifts are boring, but they can pack some serious mass onto your back.

As for eating like an animal, you've probably either got a low appetite, or a fast metabolic rate, because I find that if I eat my arse off I grow fat very quickly (and I stay away from saturated fats and sugar too (except for after workouts, of course)). Generally speaking, if you workout hardcore (do everything properly, lots of shock work, rotating around exercises too etc.) and still plateau.. the only thing you can really do is to increase your caloric intake. So if you truly can't eat anymore but still wanna gain more bulk, you might have to consider weight gainer supplements. Here's another tip if you're dedicated: wake up at midnight (or half-way through your sleep, and sneak in a meal). Just stuff yourself full with protein and good calories at every opportunity.

Kanker

HSC
N/A
peteski01 said:
5kg lean muscle for summer? thats pretty good melbournian
Samuel,

Your five kilogram atrophy this summer is a realisation of hard work, commitment and dedication to the cause.

In light of your physical prowess, I myself have decided to commence weight training at The Arena Gymnasium.

You have touched my life greatly and I love you.

Once again Best Wishes

lukebennett

Happy Member
HSC
hahaha we're sooooooooooooooo gullible lol.

you guys are gold.

Last edited:

Boogert

HSC
N/A
Kanker said:
Samuel,

Your five kilogram atrophy this summer is a realisation of hard work, commitment and dedication to the cause.

In light of your physical prowess, I myself have decided to commence weight training at The Arena Gymnasium.

You have touched my life greatly and I love you.

Once again Best Wishes
Hey Dr Porges,

I'm happy that you've started like doing weights and stuff. Maybe we can go one and two, one and two.

And give up Smoz, it's not funny.

Ok I'm going to bed guys

lukebennett

Happy Member
HSC
Boogert said:
Hey Dr Porges,

I'm happy that you've started like doing weights and stuff. Maybe we can go one and two, one and two.

And give up Smoz, it's not funny.

Ok I'm going to bed guys
who the hell is smoz? in terms of woody?

your av aint woody

i dont think its bed time yet anyway! its only like 1pm!

hmmmmmmm........

Last edited:

TrophyBuyer

HSC
Tom Harrington, Tom Harrington

You touched my sister tonite.

She has a bf in year twelve, he will have you shot.

YOU'RE FUCKED CUNT YOURE FUCKED!!!

Room 308 at St Andrews College

I got you bro. I got you bro.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)