OI someone here MUST be goin to MACLEAY! (1 Viewer)

p i r a t e

nuclear chick said:
I did journalism which was a lot of fun- very hard work tho
Do they find work experience for you? And, do they help at finding a job for you @ the end of your course?

I got accepted into B Arts @ UNSW last night so now I don't know whether to take that or save up for Macleays and do advertising! I want to do the B Arts 2nd year @ macleays anyways and its only an extra year. So confused right now!

nuclear chick

HSC
No i had to find the work experience myself. however we were told when to ring up and other methods of finding it for example not cold calling and asking for it, instead getting the name of someone who works in an organisation and asking them for experience- sometimes they can get you into a workplace for experience even if the organisation doesn't have a formal work experience program. They didnt actually place you in work exp positions. I did a week at girlfriend magazine, a week at woman's day, a week at the leader which is my local paper (i gained those positions by cold calling, so it can work), and four fridays at 2ue in the newsroom, and 2 saturdays working for a presenter at 2ue (which i found by calling someone who works there). some people had a lot of problems finding exp, some had no problems at all. for journalism you had to do i think 20 hours to pass the course but i ended up doing over 100 hours.
You do a subject at macleay called "job seeking skills", which goes for the whole year, and in that you learn how to look for a job, find work exp, and do well at interviews. so i guess in that regard they help you find a job, but they dont line up employers for you- you have to find them yourself.
some people in journalism had been accepted into uni to do communications but deferred to do the macleay course, and a few used the course as a way to get into various degrees at other unis after that year. 4 people in my group went on to do the bachelor of arts which the college offered.
I hope all that helps:)

p i r a t e

Sounds like a great course :) I really want to do this!

One more question...did you guys take out loans for this? If so, how much interest are you paying?

Agnes2810

sUp ?
HSC
hey nucleaur chick, asorry bad spelling, um, i got my timetable today, and it says friday i have work experience, does that mean every friday i go to the same plc, or diff placE? and do they find that for you? and wen does that starT?

nuclear chick

HSC
I personally didnt take out a loan for the course, my mum paid for it, and no-one else that I knew there took out a loan so I dont know about interest.

When they say friday is for work experience, in journalism not everyone had work exp on every friday. None of my work exp was on a friday except for my four days at 2ue (which was in may/june), all the rest was in week blocks during my holidays. So 95% of my fridays were spent at home doing homework/finding work exp/bludging. Fridays is just a weekday designated for work exp if employers want you on a weekday which is most likely.
Having said that, we were told that most employers prefer you there for a few days in a row so they can teach you a little about the job. So if you dont have work exp, you just do what you want on Fridays.
I found my first work experience during the first term, and they didnt actually want me until the easter holidays (i was only there tuesday -friday cos of easter monday), womans day and the leader also wanted me there for a week so that was completed during the holz.
No, Macleay dont find you work experience, you find that yourself. Some people actually had it lined up before they started the course because they knew people in the industry.
You can do work exp from the first friday you're there if places will take you. It depends on the workplace you contact. Some dont care if you have no skills for that industry and will take you anyway (imo that counts for 90% of workplaces) and other workplaces like it if you've done a bit of the course first.
Like I said, this was what I experienced for journalism, but it would apply for most courses. However I remember one of the courses (i think it was either business or real estate) wanted their students to have done a certain number of work exp hours in the first term. If thats the case for your course, they'll tell you.
Hope all that helps :)

Agnes2810

sUp ?
HSC
simpz said:
i hope they explain this work experiance thing properly lol....ahh i dont want to start tomorow i want MORE HOLIDAYS DAMMIT!
i know im scareeeeeedddddddddddddd have to get in there at 8:30 am aaaaaaaahhhhh

Agnes2810

sUp ?
HSC
nuclear chick said:
hey Agnes2810- how did your first day go?
hey hey.. i was hell scared ay.. but once i got in there, it was awesome! i mean, the people were great, made some friends already.. after every hour of class we'd hav a break and everyone would go out for a ciggie,. hehe

but today i was so buggered hey.. 4 classes, 2 hours each.. glad mondays over! tomorow is a short class yay

simpz

HSC
yeh it was better than i thought it would be...the breaks were cool haha and the teachers are really insane but cool! im not a fan of the 8:30 starts but stilllllllll

yeh i agree the people are pretty awsome though some are just weird haha

Agnes2810

sUp ?
HSC
simpz said:
yeh it was better than i thought it would be...the breaks were cool haha and the teachers are really insane but cool! im not a fan of the 8:30 starts but stilllllllll

yeh i agree the people are pretty awsome though some are just weird haha
i didnt have too many weirdos!! hehe

nuclear chick

HSC
typequick was a thorn in my side the whole year, and are you doing shorthand?? if you arent, be grateful you arent lol
i hated 8:30 am starts cos i had to leave so early from penshurst, the 6pm finishes were killers too
agnes2810- do you have belinda for computers?

Agnes2810

sUp ?
HSC
nuclear chick said:
typequick was a thorn in my side the whole year, and are you doing shorthand?? if you arent, be grateful you arent lol
i hated 8:30 am starts cos i had to leave so early from penshurst, the 6pm finishes were killers too
agnes2810- do you have belinda for computers?
what is short hand?

ohh u live in penshurst,, yeah i know how u feel, i gotta catch the 6:45am bus to sutherland then catch the 7:30 train.. its a bitch

yes i have belinda for computers.. is she good? she seems alright

we have this one guy steve lamot for advertising business practice hes so funny.. we had a ciggarette with him in the break!! u did advertising yeaH?

nuclear chick

HSC
shorthand is using little symbols/outlines instead of writing out the entire word- its for court reporting and parliament reporting where you cant take in a tape recorder. it looks like arabic writing
yeh leaving at that time is a bitch, i had to get the 7:15am train which was an all stations number and took FOREVER and i had to get that one otherwise Id be too early at town hall to change trains
what suburb do u live in?
i never had belinda for computers but we had a few run-ins with her :( I had graham britt you might see him hes a short guy around 50 with a beard
no i did journalism youll see the journalism students soon theyll have cameras like the paparazzi use lol
we had some good lecturers mike bailey was nice although he sent most of us to sleep cos of his monotone voice then we'd watch the abc news and see him on it and itd be just like a lesson lol

Agnes2810

sUp ?
HSC
haha yeh ive seen mike bailey around.

i live in menai.

so belinda is a bad teacher?

nuclear chick

HSC
no belinda is probably a very good teacher but she was kinda nasty when a few of us wanted to come into the computer room to retrieve a lost usb. she taught a few of the part time journalism students they liked her

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)