• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

ok guys the commerce cut off at UNSW is 96.70, will it go up or down in 2013?????? (1 Viewer)

theloorloor

HSC
N/A
ok guys the commerce cut off at UNSW is 96.70, will it go up or down in 2013??????
Educated guesses please.

gsweeper

HSC
Re: ok guys the commerce cut off at UNSW is 96.70, will it go up or down in 2013?????

It's all based on demand mate, it would be impossible to tell.

tambam

HSC
Re: ok guys the commerce cut off at UNSW is 96.70, will it go up or down in 2013?????

And you don't even need 96.7, you can get up to 5 bonus points for band 5s and 6s in maths and english advanced.

krnofdrg

Mq Law Student :)
HSC
Uni Grad

And you don't even need 96.7, you can get up to 5 bonus points for band 5s and 6s in maths and english advanced.
WTF i did not realise this OMG.. =.=

auriga

HSC

It will go up because people will be ignorant of these bonus points and work even harder.

Dr No

Banned
HSC
N/A

The reason it is so high is because people generally get a lot of money in commerce. When the amount of people increase, the supply increases and the amount of money people get will decrease. Basic economics

I predict decrease.

zehurricane

Capitalism, Ho!
HSC

one of the guy next door told me that it going to increase to 98.5 atar.

twistedrebel

HSC

will depend on how UNSW will approach the new government policy and increase positions resulting in decrease or stable of the ATAR. Commerce cut offs are going to come crashing down like the engineering ones did in the 1990's before gaining again in the last few years. Same thing will happen to commerce soon enough.

Azure

Premium Member
HSC

Am I missing something (is there something the government has announced that will have a tangible effect on the demand/availability in Commerce?)

twistedrebel

HSC

Am I missing something (is there something the government has announced that will have a tangible effect on the demand/availability in Commerce?)
from 2012, the government will provide unlimited positions for universities. E.g. currently universities and and government make a deal, say UNSW and federal government come to a deal that the government is willing to fund 600 commerce positions, 50 software engineering etc. From next year it will UNSW can enrol how many they want and the federal government will pay for them all. So UNSW could fill it with 10,000 kids if they wanted.

Expanding uni, such UTS, Maq, UWS are likely to binge on new students,with strong indication UNSW will follow suit but not to the same extent. Usyd I'm not sure, because on one end they want be become smaller (shrink) but not sure if they ll head down this path.

Pretty fucked if you ask me, every 2nd fucker is going to have a degree. Commerce is already straining, and with this you ll have uni's packed with commerce students.

tambam

HSC

from 2012, the government will provide unlimited positions for universities. E.g. currently universities and and government make a deal, say UNSW and federal government come to a deal that the government is willing to fund 600 commerce positions, 50 software engineering etc. From next year it will UNSW can enrol how many they want and the federal government will pay for them all. So UNSW could fill it with 10,000 kids if they wanted.

Expanding uni, such UTS, Maq, UWS are likely to binge on new students,with strong indication UNSW will follow suit but not to the same extent. Usyd I'm not sure, because on one end they want be become smaller (shrink) but not sure if they ll head down this path.

Pretty fucked if you ask me, every 2nd fucker is going to have a degree. Commerce is already straining, and with this you ll have uni's packed with commerce students.
Wait, does this mean a commerce degree from unsw will become worthless in terms of prestige?
And what's your source of information.

Azure

Premium Member
HSC

Very interesting. I think I need to read up a little bit on this.

Either way, it's long been predicted that normal undergraduate degrees are becoming more and more worthless. I think postgrad qualifications are the way of the future if you want to stand out.

twistedrebel

HSC

tambam my source of information, m8 i fucking read the news 3 times a day. go read up on it, the government has been not doing with much fanfare so to not get the current student population unhappy. Its all part of getting 40% of the population with an undergraduate degree.

Degree's only have prestige based on their atar cut offs, if they go down the prestige factor goes down.

With cut offs likely to go down (in a real sense) commerce will see more students heading its way (attracted by the easier workload factor, and some hypothetical thinking of commerce=shitloads of $$$$) should see many more commerce students.

mitchy_boy

blue
HSC

WTF, they cannot do that. It's gonna be near fucking impossible to get a job now. There are already 800+ doing some form of commerce or economics in first year at UNSW this year. Fuck you all, now I'm gonna need to get a HD average.

Omnipotence

Kendrick Lamar
HSC
Uni Grad

I doubt it will drop - a slight rise seems foreseeable.

chewy123

OAM, FAICD, FAAS, MBBS
HSC

Wow, cant believe it's this high now..so glad to be done with my hsc. I feel so chill :D

Bendent

HSC

WTF, they cannot do that. It's gonna be near fucking impossible to get a job now. There are already 800+ doing some form of commerce or economics in first year at UNSW this year. Fuck you all, now I'm gonna need to get a HD average.
lolll

Tazzz

HSC

i hear that they will introduce a b actuarial studies soon which will probably cause a drop in demand for b commerce, they also could create more places which would also cause a drop/ stability of the atar requirement

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A

Wow, looks like competition in Commerce is going to get even tougher....

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)