Ok say i get a UAI of 100... PhB or Bsc ? (1 Viewer)

golfpro

HSC
N/A
I want to one day become an astronomer, and say i get a UAI of 100, should i do a PhB or a Bsc in physics and maths.

Because i will eventuallly do a PhD in astronomy, and all astronomers will need a strong base in physics and maths which u get in your Bsc. But I don't know if the PhB would be a better option, due to its need of a UAI above 99, prestige and flexibilty or whatever etc.

Should i do a PhB? Will that provide me with a good grounding in physics and maths (btw i will be doin the advanced maths and phys if i do the Bsc) and some astrophysics subjects i can also participate in during the Bsc.

chooette

PhB Chemistry (Hons)
HSC
Do a PhB... It can be essentially a BSc anyway, as you can choose the same courses as everyone else, but you can also accelerate courses, skip courses if you already know the material, and the Advanced Studies Courses are courses in the area you choose, done for your interest. The PhB is a BSc and then some, rather than being an alternate to it... And it is regarded more highly than a BSc, due to the high level of achievement that comes with it.

golfpro

HSC
N/A
chooette said:
Do a PhB... It can be essentially a BSc anyway, as you can choose the same courses as everyone else, but you can also accelerate courses, skip courses if you already know the material, and the Advanced Studies Courses are courses in the area you choose, done for your interest. The PhB is a BSc and then some, rather than being an alternate to it... And it is regarded more highly than a BSc, due to the high level of achievement that comes with it.
cool, thanks mate.

I was thinking what the benefit of doing the phb/bsc (nus) would be, do you think thatd be better than the normal phb?

chooette

PhB Chemistry (Hons)
HSC
I'm not too sure on that part, it'll be great if you want to go on exchange to Singapore, although you can apply to go on exchange to other uni's normally if you don't do it. I guess it means you can do part of your degree at NUS, and it's more in conjunction with your PhB degree than an ordinary exchange.

jb_nc

Google "9-11" and "truth"
HSC
N/A

noneother

the Cho is great
HSC
neither. you have failed life. that's why your only friends are stars

humphdogg

HSC
Uni Grad
i'm a 1st year PhB student majoring in Maths and Astrophysics, so i can tell you straight off that if you're good enough, you should definitely do the PhB. essentially it's a fast-track to a PhD - getting you ready to do post-graduate research. as chooette said below, it's basically a BSc with Advanced Study Courses added on, so that you get some grounding in research as well as just doing the normal undergraduate courses.

the main challenge with PhB is that you have to get an HD average in your science subjects (i did two arts subjects this semester, but from now on i'll pretty much be doing all science). it's difficult - you have to put in a fair bit of work - but definitely doable.

golfpro

HSC
N/A
humphdogg said:
i'm a 1st year PhB student majoring in Maths and Astrophysics, so i can tell you straight off that if you're good enough, you should definitely do the PhB. essentially it's a fast-track to a PhD - getting you ready to do post-graduate research. as chooette said below, it's basically a BSc with Advanced Study Courses added on, so that you get some grounding in research as well as just doing the normal undergraduate courses.

the main challenge with PhB is that you have to get an HD average in your science subjects (i did two arts subjects this semester, but from now on i'll pretty much be doing all science). it's difficult - you have to put in a fair bit of work - but definitely doable.
sweet dude, i cant believe theres actually someone like you on these forums doin exactly what i want to be doing.

do u want to be an astronomer?

do you get to do any study or research in conjunction with the RSAA ?

and were you from canberra previously, or did you move there to study the PhB, are you under any scholarships for accomodation etc. ?

If I do any arts subjects it will probably only be philosophy or something like that just because its intresting.

HSC
golfpro said:
sweet dude, i cant believe theres actually someone like you on these forums doin exactly what i want to be doing.

do u want to be an astronomer?

do you get to do any study or research in conjunction with the RSAA ?

and were you from canberra previously, or did you move there to study the PhB, are you under any scholarships for accomodation etc. ?

If I do any arts subjects it will probably only be philosophy or something like that just because its intresting.
hahaha i just realised this is what my friend is doing. well he's doing a PhB not sure on the majors though. he's got a scholarship (academic i guess) but i think he has to pay for his own accomodation. not sure wat the cutoff is but he got a uai of 98+ just so keep that at the back of your mind.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)