one teenie little question (1 Viewer)

drunk_polly

HSC
im in yr 12 n wanna do law later but everyone is bugging me cuz i dropped my 2 unit maths, apparantly i cnt do law without 2 units of maths.. is this true?
also, if it is what the deal with summer schools/ bridging courses etc.
plus is it really hard to get in? n with me ( realisticly speaking ) i think im gonna gt in my high 80's, low 90's ( if i study my ass off that is ) cn i gt into law with such uai's? or cn u only gt in with the 99.6 that u need for sydney uni.
sorri i know its long... n u guys r soooooo ova these questions bt jst bear with me, what uni takes the lowest uai's for law?:)

Cape

Forza Ferrari!
HSC
r u wanting to do law by itself or as a combined degree?

Law at uws is around about 92 - 93, but it depends wat u combine it with.

Last edited:

Cape

Forza Ferrari!
HSC
i think most of the law subjects - was having a quick browse required only english - but as natstar said u can do a bridging course during the summer.

klh

HSC
there are other options if you cant get into uws law.
you can do non-graduate law (no combined studies) through entry by 1 yr study in a tertiary institution or obtaining a university/Tafe diploma.
Like natstar said, you can do bridging courses for free or at a fee as well (that is using up one of your electives), but law doesnt need math, its the combine law dgree component that may require it.

Some UAI into entry for law: 2004 cut offs
UoW 91.00 B XXX/B Law
UWS 92.50 is the lowest and 94.30 the highest
UTS 97.50
Usyd 99.60
U Newcastle 92.15
UNSW 99.35
UNE B Comm/B Law 83.00
UoCanberra 90.00 B It/B Law
SCU 95.00
UMac 95.65
ANU 95.00

go check in your UAC guide for it. the above UAI entry is for most of the combined law ones.

Summer schools is a way for university students to 'accelerate' their time at university. i.e. dont want to spend too much time at uni and want to finsh their course quickly. It involves higher fees, more paperwork (dunno-just a rumour) and is only open to some subjects only-not all of them.

hope it helps.
Dont take my word for it tho, look at the courses yourself in the UAC guide. Also you must consider that these are this years cutoffs, we dont know what will happen to next years cutoffs. It depends on the demand. e.g. come uais my be higher, lower or the same.

michelleanne

HSC
Hi!

I have just completed my bachelor of law/bachelor of health science degree at UWS. I dropped maths in yr 12 too and I didn't need maths at all in both degrees. However, depending what you combine with there may be a maths requirment such as science, accounting or even engineering. So for the law you don't actually need maths.

Also, are you wanting to get into a law degree now? Or get into another degree, finish that degree or some of it and transfer over to law?

I suggest that you try to get into the law now as a combined degree if you can because of the following reasons:

A normal 3 year degree at uws comprises of 24 subjects.

When you combine a law degree, you do a nomral 3 year law degree (24 subjects). However, the second degree that you complete- such as arts or business or healthscience etc. is reduced from 24 subjects to 16 subjects - this equates to 1 year less than what you would do if you did the degrees separately- it fits into a 5 year time frame.

Also, doing a combined degree rather than law on its own is a better option because it will give you greater variety in your studies and more options once you finish and you find that you don't want to practice law.

Don't forget that once you finish your law degree you still have at least another 8months of study at the College of law to pass the bar and also to obtain your practising licence. However, if you don't want to practice law this is not a necessity.

Say you want to do business and law as a combined degree but you don't get into this but your marks still allow you to get into the separate bachelor of business degree. Then I would accept the offer to study the bachelor of business degree because you can transfer into the law through the uws course transfer program after one year as long as you have a credit average- best to stick to distinction average though. You should be fine if your doing an internal transfer at uws (most people are accepted) but if you are transfering to other universties it is usually quite competitive so you need to do the best you can.

Also, say you start out completing the bachelor of business for example, some degrees allow you to pick one or two electives as part of your subjects as well as completing the subjects you have to do. With these electives you could possibly pick 1st year law subjects such at Introduction to Law or Law Foundation and once you transfer to the law these can be credited to you and it saves time.

These are some things to keep in mind. I found law at uws great. The teaching style at uws I think is better than any other uni because its seminar based- not lecture and tutorial- so you learn more, there is more group work, much more discussion and the ability to ask questions and its more on the students level. So I would reccommend UWS to any one who would like to complete law. The teaching staff are excellent as well as well as the facilities such as moot courts and legal resources and research.

Don't forget there is also the RET test to get into UWS. I don't know too much about it but I am sure you can ask your careers adviser at school.

Anyway, hopr I have helped you in come way....

Michelle.......

klh

HSC
To michelle, what is a seminar based teaching style. Just asking since as I am a Comp student and we have never had that type of teaching. Just describe it-is it like a HS type teaching?
And Congrats to graduating/finishing your course!

To natstar, uws has restricted summer school except for a number of students. I dont what the fees are but you cant apply for it, you can only do it by invitation. Anyway, most of it is for health as other colleges arent allowed to offer summer school subjects anymore. Fee wise, i dont know but it is supposed to cost more. i dont know the reason why it costs mreo, my guess is that summer period is holidays, if you employ lecturers it may cost more, or from an accounting perspective-buildings are not is use as much as semester time-so the renting of rooms must contribute more.

michelleanne

HSC
A seminar based teaching style is simialr to high school but different. Classes usually are two or three hours long (you get breaks in between). The facilatator may discuss readings or lecture for about an honour and facilate discussion, debate, and group activities. the style of teaching is more personal, you have more of a chance to ask questions, clarify anything etc. There are approx 30 people in the class so its a lowere student to teach ratio. its more like a workshop i think.

Although, lectuers/tuts are useful, for law seminar based learning is easier for the student- this is my opiion though.

mr EaZy

punchbowl bro- its the best place to live !
HSC
im planning on law/med sci at uts just coz i love medical science, and it was my first carreer option. but im undecided if i sholud do law/international studies, coz i really wanna work on a national and international stage

should i go with mmy passions of med sci or stick with my ambitions in international studs?

klh

HSC
thanks michelleanne
Mr Eazy, i am not being an arsehole, but shouldnt you ask the uts people?
But to reply to you, why dont you do a Int Stud/Med Science. That way you get both of them and kick out law. But really, we wouldnt know how you feel-go with your gut mate! I mean i started out wanting to be some computer ace and now trying to transfer to business. When you do a course at uni you'll find out what suits you.
Your ambitions can be false sometimes, as was mine so i looked at every other course that was interesting but to me was valuable. Dont beleive them brochures either, reas what the subjects you are doing at the uni website.

hope it helps.

Last edited:

mr EaZy

punchbowl bro- its the best place to live !
HSC
thnx a lot, yeah i posted a thread in the uni general threads, coz not many law students go to the UTS law forums.

hmm int stud/med sci sounds pretty good....cant believe i thought of it before, but i have to take note that both med sci and int studies have low job prospects unless one decides to take additional (often postgrad-or post-doctral studies)
int stud/med sci would be fun, but im after a gov job so....id hafta take law into account.

i thjink ill wait for my gut feeling to knock me out. in the meantime... thanks

zzangelzz

Queen of the Damned
HSC
YOu know what I'D recommend, place law courses as your top preferences, but because you have 9 choices, use them all up and chose courses you are genuinely interested in, for example, B arts or whatever. After this you have 2 options. If for any reason you dont get into law and end up getting into another course here are your options:

Option 1 - get an above credit average in your first 6 months of that degree and apply for the Guaranteed Internal Course Transfer Scheme - which stipulates that all you need is to attain an above credit average in 4 subjects to get guaranteed acceptance into any UWS course.

Option 2- if option 1 doesnt work out - ie, you dont get an above credit average - stick with your course for the remainder of the year and apply through UAC for the B of laws (non graduate entry) cos the only requirement you need to get into this course is that you must have completed at least 1 year of any degree program.

Thats what I would do!

Cheers

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)