Law exams are so unfair

One more year till I'm a clerk
(Come and join UQLS!)
I am gonna earn a fortune
(Buy an L Card for Law Ball!)
I will be a legal shark
(Come get pissed at the pub crawl!)
I will charge enormous fees

If you... sign up... you'll get... free BEER!

One year more!

One more year till graduation
Join the application race
We are Brisbane's biggest law firm
We are in Waterfront Place

Make 'em go to tutes, give 'em hard exams
Make 'em answer questions they don't understand
Here's a little lex, Latin's all the rage
Most of 'em can't even fill up half a page

One more year of few electives
(Charles Rickett please hear our call)
Why did you cut all our tutes?
(Increase funding for the moots!)
Our degree is now defective
(But we're still paying a tonne)
Here in Forgan Smith's West Wing!

I failed... trusts too... oh god... I'm SCREWED!!

One year more!

Next year I'll study every day
Next year it seems so far away
Next year we'll all have to return to the T.C. Beirne School of Law...

... for one more course
One more year
One year more!
*sigh* the life of a law student..

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
i'm gonna take it easy if i get a grad offer this year (yeah right!)

how're you going mate?

Omnidragon

Devil
HSC
Uni Grad
Yea I'm sitting on a few offers atm (melb apps close early)... still considering. Would also like to consider HK... but I don't want my first year there... it'd be hell.

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
Omnidragon said:
Yea I'm sitting on a few offers atm (melb apps close early)... still considering. Would also like to consider HK... but I don't want my first year there... it'd be hell.
haha, see at least you have a few offers (are these vaccies or articles?). HK is alright - just that leverage ratio is ridiculous and working culture is hard-on. oh and my chinese isn't good enough.

i think the problem with law kids, and us penultimates in particular, is this ruthless drive to compete, to get this offer and these marks. a friend of mine was really pissed off tonight over the phone because of this culture. :(

Omnidragon

Devil
HSC
Uni Grad
Frigid said:
haha, see at least you have a few offers (are these vaccies or articles?). HK is alright - just that leverage ratio is ridiculous and working culture is hard-on. oh and my chinese isn't good enough.

i think the problem with law kids, and us penultimates in particular, is this ruthless drive to compete, to get this offer and these marks. a friend of mine was really pissed off tonight over the phone because of this culture. :(
Yea therse are grad positions... articles and commerce firms. I'm leaning heavily towards commerce tho.

Re culture: I sometiems think people forget how insignificant they are (I am guilty of this too). I mean cmon... we've worked so hard all our lives; get awesome HSC scores, Dean's Honours every year and subject prizes. We get poached by all the law firms, and feel like King.

But once you're in the firm, you're a piece of ***** once again. Even if you get into something like London Clifford Chance, you're just one of the many sitting in a cubicle. You're at base camp again and you have to go through what you've been doing your whole life again: compete.

It was like this in HSC. You competed, got into law. Then in law you competed again. You get into Magic Circle or White Shoe. So is this the end? Nope... the competition starts again.

There is no time for complacency in this type of culture... and I agree, law is guilty of this. Life is sooooooooooooooooooo shallow and hollow sometimes I think about it.

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
Omnidragon said:
There is no time for complacency in this type of culture... and I agree, law is guilty of this. Life is sooooooooooooooooooo shallow and hollow sometimes I think about it.
and who among us will risk high-paying grad offers, perceived glamour and financial stability of MC/WS for something as... perhaps more interesting like academia, the Bar or hell, start your own business?

if i fail to make the 'usual' route, i might just throw the bucket in and do something different.

MoonlightSonata

Retired
HSC
N/A
People pursue these careers for all sorts of reasons, often bad ones.

An interesting article by Ross Gittins on career, personal strengths and happiness.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)