onstage people '05' (1 Viewer)

Trigger189

XYLENE-FREE ZONE
HSC
Hannahb also got in. Can you two please tell me what schools you go to and what exactly your performances were about?

I did not get in and everyone is dissapointed. Congratulations to you two, but I really do consider the whole selection process to be fucked. Forgive me if I come off as cocky, but we were really expecting to get in. Consider these factors:

We got 30/30 for the trial
My English teacher who has been teaching for 15 years and has been Head Teacher Drama several times said it was the best group performance he has ever seen
Both my drama teacher and Head Teacher of Performing Arts at my school were sure we were going to get in
We were asked to perform it repeatedly - one time we performed it in front of our whole school, around 1000 people, and the whole audience was in hysterics
Paul Viles commented to one of my group members at the State Drama Festival that he had "heard all about our performance" - this was just a couple of days after we performed it for the HSC

I dont want to rant too much, but this is probably my only chance to, so bear with me. I have been to Onstage 2 years in a row, and I must admit after having seen those performances I was sure we were going to get in. I felt this years Onstage was pretty much crap - my only really favourite performance was NUTCASE and everyone I have talked to said it is much better than it.

Just so you know, we played 4 missionaries that traveled to an island to preach to savages and spread the light. When we couldnt find any savages, we turned to a light bulb and started worshipping the "light". All the fedback we got said it was a novel idea, we could tell the HSC markers absolutely loved it.

Its sort of like Monty Python comedy and everybody we have showed to loved it. We have gotten bigger laughs doing our performance than anything I've seen at Onstage.

Sorry for being a bitch, but I was really excited about performing it for you guys. And I can imagine the replies: "At least you got nominated, thats a marvelous achievement!" But I cant just take that - I feel we were unfairly rejected. Most of the staff and students, all of our families and friends are very dissapointed.

Conclusion: I feel the selection process is very political, and I am living proof. I see the same schools every year.

We are a Performing Arts high school - but from the Western suburbs - sorry we dont have the same prestige as "Newtown High School of the Performing Arts High School". Not.

And one more thing, unless the performances have DRAMATICALLY improved from last year, I highly doubt we were knocked back because there were a lot more better performances than ours. Anyway, we are going to Onstage next year - I'm sure most of them will be shit.

Not to take any of the glory away from you two, bettyboop and hannahb... you have my full congratulations on making it in

/end rant

Logain

aka Will, Skis, Willskis
HSC
Wow, bad luck. If someone from a performing arts high school can't get nominated because of bias against schools, I guess there goes my hopes of getting in.

I go to the smallest high school in Tamworth, only 400 people, and we're specialty funded (read: poor) and shit, probably one of the lowest quality high schools in the state. Oh well. We're screwed.

hannahb

HSC
i go/went to shitty little Northmead High School which has holes in the walls, broken chairs and tables and no locks on the toilet doors....so sorry Trigger 189 i highly doubt that there is bias in the selection for ONSTAGE, they just pick the best of the best that performed in the HSC for that year, i aswell got 30/30 in the trials for my gp from an actual senior marker it doesn't matter what or how you go in the trial cz i got 29/30 for my ip and i didn't get nominated for onstage bcz of that....the reason why there is always a performance done by newtown performing arts is because a) you have to audition to get it and therefore only the best get in, and b) they are the only public performing arts school in sydney c)it has an extremely high calibre of students in the performing arts....
our gp drama piece is sort of theatre in education, a dash of comedy along with serious political confronting issues. our characters are 3 toy clowns/jack-in-the-boxes ,each representing different age generations, whom host the children's television prgram 'It's Rhyme Time'.
it was actually really cool cz for my ip i was tossing up whether to do performance or costume design same as another member of the group was having with performance and set design...we both chose ip performance....we were both able to apply these costume and set abilities towards our group performance in making sets and myself making costumes.
we have already performed a shortened version of 'It's Rhyme Time' at the Celebrating the Arts Festival aswell as at the Department of Education and Training Awards Ceremony. but it's going to be sooo great to perform the whole thing at ONSTAGE it really is an amazing concept that i will be involved in ONSTAGE 2005....completely mindblowing!
yes,yes,yes please tell what other schools are performing!!!!
o and to set the rumours straight there are two programs A/B this year (i'm in program A for a group performance with two other girls to complete our group of 3 for group performance)

Trigger189

XYLENE-FREE ZONE
HSC
It's not going to erupt into an argument, it was just a burst of rage and will end there, as indicated with my "end rant" thingo. I personally don't see anyone groups being better than ours, but youve certainly proven me wrong that there is no bias in the selection process.

*bettyboop*

i go to kirrawee high school
myself and another dude got in. apparently our school was the only one with 2 performances. maybe they meant two individual's. yeah my peice was one from bombshells. theresa the bride one.
thats bad luck trigger about yours. dont be so bias. it is very true that they were only going to do one programe this year but becos there was too many good ones(not saying yours wasnt good) they made it two.
every year at onstage there are always some pretty dodgy ones. this next one's going to be hell entertaining and heaps fun.
obviously trigger your groupp just wasnt wat they wanted in the programe. maybe another group were similar, maybe yours they seen done before. dont work urself up about it. think of it this way. you all got 30/30 which in my perspective is the best thing ever.
for me getting into onstage for my ip is a dream come true. and hannah ill be seeing you there. bring it on!!!!!! how exciting.

anyone eles who got in?

persophone, did u mean 3 got nominated or actually into onstage?
oh and hannah which program are you in?

Logain

aka Will, Skis, Willskis
HSC
I'm going to see it this year, it'll be cool watching people from on here perform :)

*bettyboop*

congrats

spencertas said:
Yay i got in!! my IP 'live and let live' and im in program A!
congrats on getting in
im so excited ay
my friend evan from my school is in ur program
hes good fun!
see you in there

tendays

ickle firstie
HSC
Mind you, that sometimes, like selection for Art Express, they take into account how it would look in the venue that it's performed at. Even if you got high marks and was nominated, maybe they didn't think it was suitable for performance on a thrust stage (I think it was thrust, from memory)

Will_Sparky

Left BOS 8/7/2005...
HSC
tendays said:
Mind you, that sometimes, like selection for Art Express, they take into account how it would look in the venue that it's performed at. Even if you got high marks and was nominated, maybe they didn't think it was suitable for performance on a thrust stage (I think it was thrust, from memory)
Thats a big thing actually, they make that clear to us all...

Plus, you gotta remember, like everything done by the Board of Studies, its all political, they're not putting a crazy sexual monologue for public display no matter how good it is! Same way, theyre not gonna put in a brilliant performance that insults the Carr government (note, i said Carr, not Howard :p)

P*O*R*T*I*A

HSC
Well, I thought that our group and a few of our IP's were fantastic... and no one even got nominated. I feel totally rigged. So there you go all you complaining that you didn't get in to onstage, at least you were recognised by getting a frickin nomination!
I couldn't beleive it. I thought quite a few of our performances were better than what I saw in Onstage last year, and nothing from our class of like 15 people got nominated. Now thats something to rant about!

Will_Sparky

Left BOS 8/7/2005...
HSC
Dude, I didnt get nominated either :( Our GP was the best in the class, and we were told worthy of at least a nomination... but thats the way the cookie crumbles! and the best IPs didn't get nominated either (which wasn't me, and if you saw, you would say... it was rigged! :p)

hannahb

HSC
my group performance is in program A see you there betty boop and spencertas...congrats!

P*O*R*T*I*A

HSC
Yeah, I agree Will Sparky. Its all so crappy and subjective. I did art, music and drama and wasn't nominated for a single thing! What a loser! and I was 1st in music and drama and 2nd in art.

thatjazz

HSC
Byron...that was Reuben!

And to extend on what he said, Arianwen got in with her piece, and Nicola's film also got in.

And yes...I'm a star. ANd Byron says to say that he is cool.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)