Operation Scalvaging marks out of 3u (1 Viewer)

chensta

HSC
N/A
okay guys, im am totally and utterly screwed for this test, i will probably goto sleep at around 12 today and wake up at 3, that gives me 11 hours tonight, and mabe 5 hours tomorow. In that time i need to learn the whole course.....and even with my amazing craming talents, i am not gonna even attempt that. So heres the question - which topics should i focus on to get most marks, which topics i shouldnt bother with because it is simply too difficult to grasp quickly. Say for permutations etc, there is alot to learn and all questions are different. Projectiles on the other hand are mostly similar.

So yea, what you guys think? (yes i know its my fault, and im screwed etc etc, so you dont need to repeat :D)

vwola

HSC
chensta said:
(yes i know its my fault, and im screwed etc etc, so you dont need to repeat :D)

It's your fault, and youre screwed. :p

Get used to the basics of Binomial Theorem as it might help ya do the bigass ones at the end of the paper (if it will make an appearance this year). Inverse functions (and sketching), projectile motion, SHM and circles/geometry (these are usually the ones that give the most marks). Probability is very unpredictable so just the basics as well - and it might help ya through although most of the time it aint worth many marks.

Dont take my word for it though - see what other ppl havta say and check out past papers and see what you should/shouldnt do.

klaw

HSC
Learn the basic concepts of every topic. Then derive everything from first principles. :)

serge

HSC
vwola said:
It's your fault, and youre screwed. :p

Get used to the basics of Binomial Theorem as it might help ya do the bigass ones at the end of the paper (if it will make an appearance this year).
I Hope the binomial wont be question 7
(binomial and SHM were Q7 last year)

^___^
HSC
Stefano said:
Your best chance is to injure yourself and fill in one of those forms.
by the sound of things, i doubt his rank/assessment marks is worth getting injuried for

Stefano

Sexiest Member
HSC
... said:
by the sound of things, i doubt his rank/assessment marks is worth getting injuried for
Did I say 'your best chance'? I mean't 'what I'd like to see you do'...

Hehe, but, yes, true - sounds like that.

word.

HSC
consider (a+b)n
Tk+1 = nCk * an-k * bk
so Tk = nCk-1 * an-k+1 * bk-1
then simplify...

chensta

HSC
N/A
thats just stupid, i managed to get 7% in a past paper, if i get caught i'd get 0. I dont need 3U to figure out 7%>0% :D oooo yea, go Year 2 maths

Stefano

Sexiest Member
HSC
Ghost1788 said:
how do you derive...

Tk +1/Tk = (n - r + 1)/(r) * b/a
Simply by the expansion of (a+b)<sup>n</sup> and some manipulation.

This is VERY unlikely to be examined though. It's almost as likely as them asking us to derive Newtons Method of Root Approximation.

100percent

HSC
Stefano said:
Simply by the expansion of (a+b)<sup>n</sup> and some manipulation.

This is VERY unlikely to be examined though. It's almost as likely as them asking us to derive Newtons Method of Root Approximation.
no no, my teacher told me to learn the proof for that one, nothing like newtons root law.

T<sub>K+1</sub>=nCk a^(n-K)b^k
T<sub>K</sub>=nC(k-1) a^(n-[K-1])b^(k-1)
T<sub>k+1</sub>/T<sub>k</sub>={nCk a^(n-K)b^k}/{nC(k-1) a^(n-[K-1])b^(k-1)}
=[n!b/(n-k)!k!]/[n!a/((n-k+1)!(k-1)!)]
=(n-k+1)(n-k)...3.2.1(k-1)(k-2)...3.2.1/(n-k)(n-k-1)...3.2.1.k(k-1)(k-2)...3.2.1 * b/a
=(n-k+1)/k*(b/a)

chensta

HSC
N/A
just called the HSC advice line asking what they think, they started okay 'do this, as it is common, and also do this etc'....so i circled the topics i needed to do....5 minutes later they were all circled....bummer

Stefano

Sexiest Member
HSC
100percent said:
no no, my teacher told me to learn the proof for that one, nothing like newtons root law.

T<sub>K+1</sub>=nCk a^(n-K)b^k
T<sub>K</sub>=nC(k-1) a^(n-[K-1])b^(k-1)
T<sub>k+1</sub>/T<sub>k</sub>={nCk a^(n-K)b^k}/{nC(k-1) a^(n-[K-1])b^(k-1)}
=[n!b/(n-k)!k!]/[n!a/((n-k+1)!(k-1)!)]
=(n-k+1)(n-k)...3.2.1(k-1)(k-2)...3.2.1/(n-k)(n-k-1)...3.2.1.k(k-1)(k-2)...3.2.1 * b/a
=(n-k+1)/k*(b/a)
My teacher told me that this was very unlikely to be examined (the derivation, not the application)

When I said (a+b)<sup>n</sup> I was referring to exactly what you did.

serge

HSC
Stefano said:
My teacher told me that this was very unlikely to be examined (the derivation, not the application)
I was told you cant quote the formula?

so if they ask a MOST likely outcome question
i think you still have to derive it first

rama_v

HSC
I think you can Just quote it

My teacher marks Extension two, she said theres no need to derive it.

Jago

el oh el donkaments
HSC
you mean we DON'T have to derive it?? haha

thunderdax

I AM JESUS LOL!
HSC
I'd study up on Apps of calculus to the physical world and logarithms if I were you. There are always shitloads of marks on those 2 topics. You might also want to take a quick look at the basics to get Questions 1 and 2.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)