Opinion on subject choices, HELP (1 Viewer)

Lavistria

HSC
Hi guys,

this year i will be in year 11 however after choosing my subject choices i'm still not to sure whether i have made the right decisions with my selections.

Subject Choices (PRELIM):
English Standard
Maths 3U
Legal
Business Studies
Japanese Beginners (OHS)
Music 1

i'm aiming for an atar at least 96+ but since you probably realise im doing the easier subjects and no sciences, do you think i could reach my goal atar?
So i have been hearing a lot of people say not to do standard english whilst others think is fine. Will it affect my marks? i'm really confuse when people say it's harder to get band 6 for standard than it is for advance. Why is that? Should i change to advance?

Last edited:

strawberrye

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
Your subject combinations are definitely not 'easier subjects'-particularly 3 Unit maths and languages are pretty hard as well. You will heard this repeatedly, but you can achieve any ATAR goal with any combination of subjects if you work hard enough and are determined to do well. Comparatively, there are less people who get a band 6 in standard English compared to those who get a band 6 in Advanced-and as a result, it might be a reason why others have advised you against standard English, however, I would advise you to change to advanced English if you can because you can always drop down if you find it too hard but it is almost impossible for one to move from standard to advanced.

http://community.boredofstudies.org...how-excel-senior-year-studies-yr-11-12-a.html -if you haven't feel free to read through a senior study guide I have started and to which some other BOSers have kindly contributed to give you some insight into the optimal study techniques for acing senior years-my advice for English studies applies to both standard and advanced. Hope this helps:)

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
Hi guys,

this year i will be in year 11 however after choosing my subject choices i'm still not to sure whether i have made the right decisions with my selections.

Subject Choices (PRELIM):
English Standard
Maths 3U
Legal
Business Studies
Japanese Beginners (OHS)
Music 1

i'm aiming for an atar at least 96+ but since you probably realise im doing the easier subjects and no sciences, do you think i could reach my goal atar?
So i have hearing a lot of people saying not to do standard english whilst others think is fine. Will it affect my marks? i'm really confuse when people say it's harder to get band 6 for standard than it is for advance. Why is that? Should i change to advance?
Subject choices fine, but to aid in that 96+ please do advanced english. Standard aligns so terribly, and you have to put effort into english anyway as it always counts, so should do advanced. You tend to get more sophisticated texts to write about and analyse as well generally.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)