Opinions on Refugees (1 Viewer)

Vangineer

Treehugger
HSC
Refugees should be given refugee status,
Asylum seekers should be given refugee status, and be able to stay in Australia not locked up in those stupid detention centres.

Rafy

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
something i wrote a while ago which sums up my thoughts :)

The refugee issue has raged in the past few years, with heated debate on the specifics of our immigration policy. The key point of contention is the subject of illegal immigrants and their fate. It should however be noted, that the issue is wider than this small section of the matter. Refugees enter Australia through both lawful and illegitimate means. There is however, a distinct difference with the treatment of these groups.

Australia, being a signatory to the United Nations charter, has the responsibility to take a share of international refugees. The country does fulfil this obligation. Compared to our population, Australia allows in more than its fair share of refugees through legal means. It is however the issue of illegal immigrants that is at the heart of debate.

They come the hundred in leaky boats, having paid thousand of dollars to so called “people smugglers” to get into Australia. Under the Liberal government’s ‘Pacific solution’, they are intercepted and sent to detention centres in Papua New Guinea, and Nauru. These people should not yet be referred to as refugees at this stage. They are merely ‘asylum seekers’ seeking the protection of Australia. The determination of wether they are indeed refugees is made by the United Nations on Nauru. This is the overlooked benefit of the ‘Pacific solution’. In addition to providing a deterrent to others wanting to journey to Australia, it also allows a respected third party organisation (The UN) to make the refugee determination. If they are found to be genuine refugees they are allowed to enter Australia on a Temporary Protection Visa (TPV).

Those found to be not refugees are sent back to their homelands. They are only kept in detention if they decide to appeal the status resolution through the court system. It must be noted that the majority of those held in detention in both mainland Australia and external detention centres, have been determined NOT to be refugees by the UN. They are simply pursuing the matter through the legal system. These non-refugees can leave at any time. These facts have been neglected by the machinations of the opposition parties as well as certain interest groups in order to score political and social gains against the government.

The question remains, should we allow these illegal asylum seekers who have been found not to be genuine refugees, into the public domain? In the current climate of international terrorism this would be imprudent. It would generate a gaping tear in the security measures of the country. I would concede that this is a largely overrated threat but no chances can be taken by governments when dealing with public security. Criminals as well as certain undesirables could be also present. If these people wish to enter the country and they have found to be free of persecution in their home country, they should apply for residence through the appropriate legal channels and cease the practice of queue-jumping. On the subject of women and children, the government has already made steps to release these people into foster homes in communities surrounding the facilities. On the ABC’s Enough Rope program, the Federal Minister for Immigration and Multicultural affairs, Amanda Vanstone, was interviewed and she gave the following response to a Denton question:

ANDREW DENTON: How do you justify children behind razor wire and detention?
AMANDA VANSTONE: That, I think, is a very difficult issue. No-one would like to see kids in detention. And I find it difficult because...for a number of reasons. Let's deal with the substantive ones - no-one would like to see children in detention. But if you let the children out, you can't do that without letting the parents out. So if you let the parents out... These are the people who are judged not to be refugees, incidentally, who don't accept a 'no' and are challenging it. Then you have a policy that says to people smugglers, "Look, if you come here with kids it'll be OK - you will be out in the Australian community very quickly." And I strongly believe that that's an absolute green light to people smugglers. So it's one of the situations where you don't want either but you have to have one or the other.

The government’s so called ‘hard-line’ policy on this issue has worked to effectively diminish the number of ‘boat people’ entering the country. The reality is that such a strategy has proved effective and has resulted in a scarcity of such people. The benefits of this have been immeasurable in assisting the lives of these people. Firstly it prevents them separating with their life savings to journey to this country only to be sent back. Secondly, it saves lives: These are leaky boats (many of which have sank)

On the other side of this debate, Zelman Cowen in his article in The Age says “We have an obligation, as part of the international community to behave with magnanimity”. Sure, it is all well and good to be fair to these people and we are - when they arrive legally. We as a nation cannot encourage people to come by boat. It would only be aiding the people smugglers. Most of the arguments from those opposing the policy talk of the government lacking compassion, and empathy. To show such feelings to illegal immigrants would be the government aiding a crime. The government shows much sympathy to legal refugees.

When dealing with this contentious issue, we must focus on the raw facts of the debate and not succumb to the usual spin on the issue as presented by the media. The people in the detention centres have been determined NOT to be genuine refugees by the neutrally positioned United Nations. They have breached Australian law by entering the country illegally and if reasonable action is not taken it would be an invitation to others to invade our sovereign land without our control. We take in our fair share of genuine refugees and will continue to. The government however cannot condone illegal activities.

Last edited:

soha

a splendid one to behold
HSC
for every refugee that they keep
the united nations pays australian gov 30 000 american dollars a year to cater for their needs..thats per detainee

now a family can live on 30 000 a year...but they are getting this money per person..where is it going?

thats my thoughts..

iamsickofyear12

HSC
Vangineer said:
Refugees should be given refugee status,
Asylum seekers should be given refugee status, and be able to stay in Australia not locked up in those stupid detention centres.
Refugees should be given refugee status.
Asylum seekers should be given refugee status.
They should have to stay in those 'stupid detention centres' until they are processed.
Once they are processed they should have to live where they are told, and not just go to Sydney or Melbourne because they think its better.

Rafy

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
Assylum seekers should be given refugee status if they are refugees.

jennylim

HSC
Refugees should be accepted. Asylum seekers should be detained. Only 3-5% of them are "refugees" under the UN definition. For reasons of security and to maintain our immigration system integrity, we need to process them. BUT i concede that the conditions could be a bit nicer, and there should be a maximum processing period.

_Benji_

HSC
jennylim said:
Only 3-5% of them are "refugees" under the UN definition.
I'm not sure where your getting your stats from, because this is totally incorrect, perhaps you meant "aren't refugees".

97% of applications from Iraq and 93% of applications from Afghanistan seeking asylum without valid visas were recognised as genuine refugees. generally 84% of all asylum seekers are found to be legit, under UN law.

Rafy

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
So? Still means 16% that are illegally in australia need to be filtered out,

_Benji_

HSC
soha said:
for every refugee that they keep
the united nations pays australian gov 30 000 american dollars a year to cater for their needs..thats per detainee

now a family can live on 30 000 a year...but they are getting this money per person..where is it going?

thats my thoughts..

where did u get that idea from? never in my research come across that.....

soha

a splendid one to behold
HSC
_Benji_ said:
where did u get that idea from? never in my research come across that.....
do u think its going to be open to the public to know just how much goverment funding they get etc?

my sisters husband has something to do with the detainee centre etc..he goes there and finds stuff out..and runs programs for the detainees...like bbqs and lunches and stuff...
well he told me and i believe it..

_Benji_

HSC
Deus said:
So? Still means 16% that are illegally in australia need to be filtered out,
So you need to lock 84% of them in desert camps with appalling conditions? My stats will be wrong by now, those were 1999 stats.
finding more....

But thats still ridiculous, i mean 16% are the ones not found to be refugees by Australia, and i mean thats hardly an indicator of if they actually are a refugee or not, seeing as aust's refugee policies are so effective and all. Why would anyone take a risky dangerous boat ride if they didnt feel they absolutely had to.

Oh and by the way, under the universal declaration of human rights, article 14, seeking asylum in another nation is not illegal, its a right, therefore they are not illegally in australia.

_Benji_

HSC
soha said:
do u think its going to be open to the public to know just how much goverment funding they get etc?

my sisters husband has something to do with the detainee centre etc..he goes there and finds stuff out..and runs programs for the detainees...like bbqs and lunches and stuff...
well he told me and i believe it..
I absolutely doubt it..... a) the UN does not have that much money to go giving wads to developed nations
b) Seeing as being able to seek asylum is a right, i doubt the UN would be bribing, considering they have condemned australia in their investigations of detention centres etc.

Could it have been the Aus Gov's funding to the private company that runs the centres?

Does ur sis' husband work for an NGO or something?

Last edited:

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
jennylim said:
Refugees should be accepted. Asylum seekers should be detained. Only 3-5% of them are "refugees" under the UN definition. For reasons of security and to maintain our immigration system integrity, we need to process them. BUT i concede that the conditions could be a bit nicer, and there should be a maximum processing period.
To have a maximum processing period either court cases would have to be hurried up (leaving less time for the defence of the person) or the number of appeals limited.

_Benji_

HSC
Deus said:
The people in the detention centres have been determined NOT to be genuine refugees by the neutrally positioned United Nations.
Im kinda confused by what you mean, australia has a system of mandatory detention, meaning everyone is detained, refugee or not, until they are processed/ appeal has been heard/ are deported/ etc!!

_Benji_

HSC
Xayma said:
To have a maximum processing period either court cases would have to be hurried up (leaving less time for the defence of the person) or the number of appeals limited.
Or more priority could be placed on processing ie the system can be changed. Sweden manages to do it, and they get similar numbers of asylum seekers despite their population being 1/2 of Austs. 10000/17000 of their asylum seekers reside outside detention centres- they are released in a v short time after identity has been established & criminal screening has been conducted. Children detained max 6 days.

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
But to do that would require delaying justice for the rest of the country.

_Benji_

HSC
actually it would probably create more jobs etc..... all they'd need to do is divert all the money they use to pay naru to take refugees, and the expenses of detention centres (which is actually incredibly expensive, a more viable solution could easily be made with these funds.... $104 a day per head for detention vs $58.80 for home detention, $5.40 for parole and $3.95 for probation).

So its just redirecting the funds etc that are already spent on refugees to create a more effective system.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)