Opinions on studying combined law at UOW (1 Viewer)

SurferNerd

HSC
N/A
Hi all,

umm i missed out by a few points on combined law programs at sydney (got 97.5) but i am a local student for UOW and it does look like a very respectable university. The campus is flawless, the lecturers seem friendly and approachable and transportation will be very easy for me (so will financing as i can live at home!!! This is very important i guess)

Just wanting an unbias opinion of UOW in particular the law and commerce faculty. I know that if we assume "ceteris paribus" that the reputation of USYD and UNSW is stronger, but i didnt get the marks any way. However i do have the marks to go to MAQ, UWS, UTS or ANU- however im not sure whether it would be worth it. As i said im very impressed with UOW

Any past or present law students there keen 2 share their experience???

*Obviously im planning to study the double B comm/ B laws

Last edited:

hfis

Dyslexic Fish
HSC
N/A
I've found the course and the faculty quite good, and my studies have been well supported throughout my degree. I'm entering my final year now, and will be completing my PLT part time alongside it. I'm not sure what other unis allow you to do this (it's contingent on how mant subjects you have left), but I find it useful as it will allow me to be admitted six months earlier than my peers. Then again, there's no real rush.

I think the program is structured nicely, and the subjects/electives offered can be found at the Faculty of Law website here. I've found that because it's a smaller uni, the number of electives offered are much fewer than at UNSW/USyd, which can be a bit annoying as it sometimes means you have to pick the 'least crap' subject as opposed to one that you'd really have a passion for. On the whole though, I've enjoyed and learned much from all the electives I have done.

I'd recommend the law program. I haven't studied law at any other uni though, so I can't really comment on how it would compare in terms of teaching method etc.

Also;
SurferNerd said:
"ceteris paribus"
No one actually talks like this.

ari89

MOSSAD Deputy Director
HSC
N/A
hfis said:
No one actually talks like this.
LIES!

Law school is constantly full of - nemo aliquam partem recte intelligere potest antequam totum perlegit, or nemo judex in causa sua etc:rolleyes:

Enteebee

Keepers of the flames
HSC
If you're going for the big city firms a few will have a slight bias towards people from USYD/Melb/UNSW but other than that I think your career is what you make of it, with your marks/work experience/volunteer work/extra-curricular activities.

RogueAcademic

HSC
N/A
ari89 said:
LIES!

Law school is constantly full of - nemo aliquam partem recte intelligere potest antequam totum perlegit, or nemo judex in causa sua etc:rolleyes:
You know, a conversation with a girl who looks like the one in your avatar who can speak Latin intelligently like that would be a great conversation.

Can't quite see it happening though.

ari89

MOSSAD Deputy Director
HSC
N/A
RogueAcademic said:
You know, a conversation with a girl who looks like the one in your avatar who can speak Latin intelligently like that would be a great conversation.

Can't quite see it happening though.
Would Latin American do?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)