• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Organ Trading? (1 Viewer)

Do you support an organ market?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Serius

Beyond Godlike
HSC
It just doesnt seem fair. I am an organ donor, to me it seems like a wonderful thing that if i die, at least someone else can use my organs and live, i can give a part of myself, give the gift of life. Its distasteful to think that if this organ free market were alllowed, i would be pressured by market forces to sell my organs because i am poor, someone would be harvesting part of my body, taking advantage of me. I can see where you thinking was going with this, but i cant agree with it. It seems like more poor people will be dying because they cant afford a kidney, and all the ones that would have been donates are bought by rick fucks.

I also dont support paying blood donors [but giving them food and looking after them is ok] but i do support paying sperm donors...i wonder if thats inconsistent of me.

dieburndie

Eat, Sleep, Repeat
HSC
It just doesnt seem fair. I am an organ donor, to me it seems like a wonderful thing that if i die, at least someone else can use my organs and live, i can give a part of myself, give the gift of life. Its distasteful to think that if this organ free market were alllowed, i would be pressured by market forces to sell my organs because i am poor, someone would be harvesting part of my body, taking advantage of me. I can see where you thinking was going with this, but i cant agree with it. It seems like more poor people will be dying because they cant afford a kidney, and all the ones that would have been donates are bought by rick fucks.

I also dont support paying blood donors [but giving them food and looking after them is ok] but i do support paying sperm donors...i wonder if thats inconsistent of me.
Did you read my post?
Please explain how the extreme increase in available organs due to a financial incentive being present could occur while prices remained prohibitively high?

katie tully

ashleey luvs roosters
HSC
In terms of cost/loss with the government buying the organs on the public behalf, I think a steady stream of organs and organ replacement will end up saving the government money anyway. Instead of having a heap of people on dialysis, or in hospital slowly dying, etc (all of which cost the hospitals money with no chance of recouping the loss), they can spend $5k on a kidney, or they can spend $10k over x years keeping the person alive waiting.
Yes so, etc?

Ben Netanyahu

Banned
HSC
N/A
graney said:
Current research indicates that kidney donation does not change life expectancy or increase a person’s risks of developing kidney disease or other health problems.

Q & A for Kidney Donors

I've read that, if one kidney fails, most of the time they both do. The second is generally redundant.
good point if true broski.

Graney

Horse liberty
HSC
Yeah that seems like a good idea katie, but if it's to be so, private investors should be able to compete with the government in the market, and I suspect the government won't be able to compete.

I'd expect the price of kidneys to be quite high. 2 years full time wage (~$60k) is the point at which I'd consider it worthwhile. I don't think there'd be many goers for $5000.

katie tully

ashleey luvs roosters
HSC
good point if true broski.
Well why wouldn't it be?

Renal failure doesn't generally occur in one kidney, especially if it's a systemic disease. Unless one kidney is affected by a cancer or by cysts or something totally unrelated to the rest of the system, renal failure usually happens in two. Otherwise why are there a shitload of people on dialysis, if renal disease only affects one kidney?

Thus the idea is:
Donating a kidney isn't going to decrease your life expectancy in the long run. If you were to develop renal failure later in life, the lack of kidney isn't going to increase your chances of survival. Chances are the other kidney would have ended up fucked anyway.

Graney

Horse liberty
HSC
How much can you drink with just one kidney? Is it lots?

dieburndie

Eat, Sleep, Repeat
HSC
Yeah that seems like a good idea katie, but if it's to be so, private investors should be able to compete with the government in the market, and I suspect the government won't be able to compete.

I'd expect the price of kidneys to be quite high. 2 years full time wage (~$60k) is the point at which I'd consider it worthwhile. I don't think there'd be many goers for $5000.
Really? I would probably do it for 10k.
I think you overestimate the self worth of the average person.

Graney

Horse liberty
HSC
Really? I would probably do it for 10k.
I think you overestimate the self worth of the average person.
I assumed I'd have to give up drinking. Not worth $10k. Would you never touch beer again for $10k?

I'd give up a non-drinking organ for $10k.

dieburndie

Eat, Sleep, Repeat
HSC
I assumed I'd have to give up drinking. Not worth $10k. Would you never touch beer again for $10k?

I'd give up a non-drinking organ for $10k.
Well fuck that. Depends how many years you would take off your life expectancy by continuing to drink.
I wouldn't quit drinking for 60k...

katie tully

ashleey luvs roosters
HSC
Oh alcohol, well yeah you'd have to cut down on alcohol intake with one kidney.

Alcohol can produce urine flow within 20 minutes of consumption; as a
result of urinary fluid losses, the concentration of electrolytes in blood serum increases.
I mean, you could still drink but I wouldn't recommend becoming a chronic alcoholic.

katie tully

ashleey luvs roosters
HSC
My dad has one kidney and enjoys 6-7 cans of tooheys new a night, and his life expectancy hasn't decreased because of it. But he's also on diuretics for an unrelated blood pressure problem, which probably helps with the flushing of the grog.

katie tully

ashleey luvs roosters
HSC

I'm not sure how it would work, but I think most people wouldn't have the means to buy an organ from a private company, so I can't imagine business would boom for them.

Unless I'm missing what you mean by private investors.

Graney

Horse liberty
HSC
By private investors, I meant buyers and sellers directly dealing with each other, though it's likely there would be organisations that would facilitate this exchange for a small fee. Ebay?

Most of Australia's millions of middle class could raise a loan of $50'000+ to pay for a life saving kidney, which is what I base my assumption of high values on. But I may be overestimating many peoples self-worth, not to mention their ability to negotiate.

In some countries trading is legal (e.g. phillipines). I wonder what the supply/demand for organs is like there, and if there's much organ shopping tourism.

katie tully

ashleey luvs roosters
HSC
oic

Private health insurance companies could jump on the band wagon too, not that it's a bad thing. Say, include an optional 'organ extra', pay an agreed premium and maybe work it out so that if you can't be guaranteed in organ, in the event of your death the 'organ extra' premium is repaid or something? We pay private health insurance for a range of things we never use, and don't get a refund for it ... But perhaps the option should be there?

S.H.O.D.A.N.

world
HSC
I don't know. Would organ trading stop things like China from harvesting organs from political prisoners? Would it just give the black market even more incentive to harvest from unwilling participants?

I voted 'no' to organ trading, for the record.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)