Overseas/local degrees and the job prospects? (1 Viewer)

ZComet

HSC
Hi there. This is my first post in this forum. I'm not exactly Australian but I suppose that you guys would know better about the dilemma I am facing now.

I always wanted to study overseas and not because of the prestige or touristic factor. It's because I want to have a degree that holds value worldwide. I anticipate that upon graduation it would be extremely likely that I will not get a job that is not overqualified and underpaid in my own country, and thus I need to have opportunities open for me in Singapore, Europe, USA and the rest. But it's very, very difficult for me to secure funding so most likely I am stuck here in Malaya University in Malaysia.

I know that a degree from a big name uni is a plus, but my question is....if I did everything that I possibly can - that is, brush up my personality, publish regularly in undergraduate math journals, get top places in international math competitions, become an active participant in math conferences, etc. Would I have a chance of outcompeting the other job seekers in the field despite a degree from a lesser known institution?

(to illustrate my problem, have any of you Australians ever heard of Malaya University?)

Thanks guys.

runnable

HSC
If your job is in the realm of maths, then yes I would say you have a very good chance if you do all those things you said.

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
Would I have a chance of outcompeting the other job seekers in the field despite a degree from a lesser known institution?

(to illustrate my problem, have any of you Australians ever heard of Malaya University?)
No I haven't heard of Malaya University. However, it is not just degree itself that will determine whether you will have a good job prospect. As you have already mentioned, you need to be a well-rounded person and be active in your field. If you do all of those extra activities, you are essentially learning a completely different sets of skills in addition to your skills from university.

I don't see how you will be outcompeted with all of those experiences just because you are from a lesser institution. It will only matter if you have two candidates with very similar experience and qualification that a minor thing like prestigious will come into play.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)