Own Interpretations (1 Viewer)

karoooh

HSC
Are we allowed to put our own interpretations/readings into the essay?

My teacher told me that I was allowed to and it's even better because it shows that the reading really does relate to you etc. and that markers love it when you put your own life story/anecdote in. But has anyone else tried it out? I did, for my inschool assessment and I got an 18, but wouldn't I end up with the chance of getting a marker who's a bit... :S, about it? I just don't want to run into the chance of them being biased or anything... :(

sandersen

si seulement...
HSC
Ah hell yes of course you can! I think it was mentioned in the marker's notes that better responses referred to their own interpretations and in the first person.

Do. It has been impressed on me that it's important and as Lottox said it's double marked anyway. I will be putting my interpretation in if it fits the question.

sandersen

si seulement...
HSC
By the way, what scene/s did you do for your personal interpretation? I have done act 1 sc 1, but I am not sure which other one to do... How could I interpret the storm scene or the last scene v.iii ?

karoooh

HSC
LOL I'm doing Cloudstreet, not Lear! Sorry! :)

Should've mentioned that earlier :eek:

Thanks for the help guys!

bessie

HSC
Yeh its part of th ruric to compare 'your on' interpretation of the play with others. So if the question asks for your own you'll be losing marks if you dont. You could express your own opinion either by stating it as fact or in first person. I wasnt sure whether or not you could use "I" so i rang up that advice line and was told it doesnt matter really matter either way.

serena99

HSC
Its better to use the first person as it clearly indicates that you are talking about your own personal reading, rather than just 'a reading'.
I use a pretty basic structure and talk about my interpretation in the start, storm scene and resolution (this is for lear by the way) and then use three productions corresponding to each scene to explain how the other readings (existentialist, marxist, psychological) inform and shape or contrast to my interpretation. Its also important if you include a personal reading to relate it to your context, as you would relate the other readings to their cultural and historical contexts.

But definitely gets big marks to use a personal interpretation of any text.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)