• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

P-Plate Restrictions (1 Viewer)

iamsickofyear12

HSC
What I do not like is that any time a P plater crashes its automatically their fault and it is automatically because they were speeding or doing something else that they shouldn't have. It can't possibly be just an accident if a P plater is involved.

When they first reported that accident involving the kids coming home from the formal they clearly said that speeding was not a factor. The very next segment someone is saying P platers need to stop speeding. Even though speed was not involved and it was probably just an accident they are still blaming the driver for speeding anyway.

w00dy.

HSC
iamsickofyear12 said:
What I do not like is that any time a P plater crashes its automatically their fault and it is automatically because they were speeding or doing something else that they shouldn't have. It can't possibly be just an accident if a P plater is involved.

When they first reported that accident involving the kids coming home from the formal they clearly said that speeding was not a factor. The very next segment someone is saying P platers need to stop speeding. Even though speed was not involved and it was probably just an accident they are still blaming the driver for speeding anyway.
that in itself has alot to do with the media and the way in which these accidents are being presented.

there are alot of older and 'more experienced' drivers out there who drive more wrecklessly and stupidly than what p platers do

ZabZu

HSC
w00dy. said:
there are alot of older and 'more experienced' drivers out there who drive more wrecklessly and stupidly than what p platers do
Like taxis and tradies :rofl:

Serius

Beyond Godlike
HSC
w00dy. said:
that in itself has alot to do with the media and the way in which these accidents are being presented.

and who have more accidents. fact.

These laws are bullshit, they are just old fucks trying to control the younger generation. Any excuse to make us a second class citizen.

Restricting passengers, restricting speed, what car you can driver is only ever going to be a short term answer. If we are going to have changes make the test[test everyone who currently holds a license ala red P style, you fail you lose the right to drive] much harder, introduce a weekend hazards training course you must complete[everyone, not just young drivers] and reduce everyones points to 1. Commit any offences and you lose your license straight up for 3 months .

People will either start driving smarter or they will lose the privilage to drive. Traffic accidents are a big killer, pissy little knee jerk laws that will create more problems than they solve will only create headaches

HSC
Serius said:
and who have more accidents. fact.

These laws are bullshit, they are just old fucks trying to control the younger generation. Any excuse to make us a second class citizen.

Restricting passengers, restricting speed, what car you can driver is only ever going to be a short term answer. If we are going to have changes make the test[test everyone who currently holds a license ala red P style, you fail you lose the right to drive] much harder, introduce a weekend hazards training course you must complete[everyone, not just young drivers] and reduce everyones points to 1. Commit any offences and you lose your license straight up for 3 months .

People will either start driving smarter or they will lose the privilage to drive. Traffic accidents are a big killer, pissy little knee jerk laws that will create more problems than they solve will only create headaches

Except for the 1 point licence part I agree. A 1 point license is probably going a bit too far in that it's too controlling. Sometimes people make mistakes and they shouldn't lose their licence just because they were speeding a little bit.

Instead I say we should increase the penalties for serious offences (drink driving, reckless driving etc.) so that you lose your licence after the first offence.
The compulsory, regular driving tests and compulsory advanced driving courses are both good ideas IMO. Bullshit things like restricting passenger numbers (have fun enforcing that one) and curfew's (have fun trying to find young people to work for you at night) aren't going to have a significant impact.

w00dy.

HSC
i guess we all see this sort of thing in a number of different lights.

my way of looking at these new restrictions have changed simply because i lost four friends to an accident with a 'p plate driver'

it may or may not have narrowed my view on this issue. but i can certainly see where everyone is coming from.

losing four mates at once let alone one mate at once is something that i would never wish on anyway.

so i guess you could say that i see these new proposals as a means of possibly preventing future accidents, although they may not happen in the shorter term.

realistically in the end what the laws become is something that we all must adhere to. regardless of whether or not we agree with it.

volition

arr.
HSC
iamsickofyear12 said:
Restrictions don't make any sense. If you limit the number of passengers that just means there are going to be more P platers driving themselves instead of getting lifts. It also eliminates the idea of a designated driver for P platers which also makes no sense at all.
Or, it means the P platers do more trips. Which is going to be GREAT for traffic, because it makes the driver spend MORE TIME on the road, and cause MORE emissions (if you care about emissions). As an aside, if they did do this, then all it would do is make driving more expensive and time consuming for young people, with no real benefit.

I've seen nothing but arrogance from the newspapers, with an SMH article titled "The law that would have saved them". I'm worried that they're going to change the laws and punish young drivers unfairly.

Serius

Beyond Godlike
HSC
Exphate said:
We are SUPPOSED to adhere to the law. Statistics will tell you that many drivers dont.

Source: http://www.cis.org.au/policy/spr03/polspr03-1.htm

If everyone followed the law, accidents still would happen. SO many variables are applied in situations that can lead to fatal MVAs - weather conditions, driver fatigue, road conditions (such as the black spots on the Pacific Highway - that are not neccessarily law breaking activities.

A key initiative that needs to occur is the removal of the "I am invincible" mentality that teenagers have.
nail on head. The invincibility idea is probably the reason why some young drivers get into bad accidents.

Its not really a recent thing though [read up on any major war- young people always thought they wouldnt be the one to die] and i would go as far as to say its natural to consider that you may die soon absurd. We could maybe shock people with graphic advertisements....but the people not understanding that their actions can have fatal concequences arent going to be swayed by a mere advertising campaign.

jooobl

crazy cat lady
HSC
Exphate said:
18% if casualties on the roads are people under 25. THAT MEANS 82% of deaths are from the rest of the populus.

Woah! If that statistic is true I am shocked and will use that in the future!

HotShot

-_-
HSC
Exphate said:
the RTA has fucked up everything. It was stupid idea to restrict P-platers to the so called 'powerful' vechicles. It was stupid idea to have 3 years in P-plates.

The problem here is nothing to do with rules - because as we have the RTA have kept on changing them - but nothing has happened - the number of accidents on the streets continues to grow.

So obviosly the rules, regulation is not the problem - in fact they are far too strict. The fact that they a zero tolerance for alcohol for p-plates is ridiculous considering that most of the p-platers - are in a age-group that are more likely to drink. Thus by imposing a restriction ur giving them the shits when they want to get back home from partying or whatever - relax it a little and they will be more careful.

the fact here is the RTA need to take a more psychological approach, clearly the typical teenage attitude towards cars has to changed. Do see this problem in any country not accidents in general - but a particular age group taking the bulk?

Limiting to one or no passenger on Ps is ridiculuos. Firstly it would be mean there will be more cars on the road - u cant give ur mates a lift and save them the trouble of driving themselves.. and secondly it also means that driver will have little experience driving with the car full/ half full/ and half empty.

Experience is essential - driving around 75% in 50km zones is not going to make you a better driver. Increase this 60kmh/ increase the freeway speed limit to 130. you will find the accidents would decrease. Why would it decrease? if you spend less time on the road the chances of an accident is reduced.

T

Testpilot

I haven't read the whole thread, so sorry if i repeat something.

A lot of p platers (red + green) work at night in places such as bars, clubs, supermarkets etc which would involve work hours between 10pm and 5am which is the proposed curfew (i think). Now there would be economic consequences of this curfew such as supermarkets not getting stocked etc as there would be no youth able to do this job. Worst case scenario would involve those over 20 doing these jobs which would cost the business more in wages.

But essentially the argument against p platers is a lack of experience. But without offering oportunities to gain experience driving at night or with passengers then the effects of this lack of experience will just be pushed back until the driver is off their green Ps.

HotShot

-_-
HSC
Exphate - not everyone here on BOS has a magnifier - unless they were handing them out for free?

What i meant about the speed is - firstly having it increased means that traffic flows quicker - less time on the road =less accidents. Sure it might increase the severity of the acccident, but people will be more careful as they are travelling at higher speed and there are more risks involved. The more riskier something is, the more careful you will be.

Imagine if everyone had no seatbelts. And on every one car on the steering wheel was a dagger stuck on the steerring protruding towards ur chest. So if you brake suddenly , your chest will fall forwards and the basically u dagger will go through u. Thus with this type of risk - drivers wouldnt dare to drive dangerously at all? simply because the risk is too high.

breaking

paint huffing moron
HSC
HotShot said:
Exphate - not everyone here on BOS has a magnifier - unless they were handing them out for free?

What i meant about the speed is - firstly having it increased means that traffic flows quicker - less time on the road =less accidents. Sure it might increase the severity of the acccident, but people will be more careful as they are travelling at higher speed and there are more risks involved. The more riskier something is, the more careful you will be.

Imagine if everyone had no seatbelts. And on every one car on the steering wheel was a dagger stuck on the steerring protruding towards ur chest. So if you brake suddenly , your chest will fall forwards and the basically u dagger will go through u. Thus with this type of risk - drivers wouldnt dare to drive dangerously at all? simply because the risk is too high.
ahahahhahahahahah oh god you're shit.

flipsyde

Shutup!...that's why
HSC
It's something both you and I are sick of hearing about, but nonetheless the issue is there and we can't ignore it. It really grinds my gears to think that if new laws are passed then I won't be able to drive my friends home when we go drinking.

I have absolutly NO problem having now drinks all night and driving my drunk friends home. I'd much rather get them home safe then have somrething happen to them, knowing I could have done something about it. If the law is brought in I REFUSE to abide by it. I am a safe driver and I will not take the punishment of the 'guilty' party.

I work, and I get home late, same with Uni... I need to be able to drive home late at night. It is unsafe for me to be catching a train home on my own, especially being female.

Fine put the laws in...we'll see how many people drive home drunk, or just drive without their Ps on.

Pilgrim

HSC
Robert Wells can fuck off.

http://www.smh.com.au/news/national...l-for-clampdown/2006/11/28/1164476178204.html

Just saw this on the news, damn I'm pissed off at the parents of irresponsible teenagers, blaming everybody else except the driver and their own control over their son.

He's going to talk tomorrow about restricting p-platers of everything and/or anything.

I wish there was a responsible representative for P-Platers, because the rest of us responsible drivers are being treated like shit because we don't have anyone to represent us. I would debate this fool if possible.

If he had kept an eye on his son and knew what the fuck he was doing and who he was hanging around with, maybe this wouldn't have happened. Since when did parents lose responsibility to give their son decent common sense.

But now because shitty dumb ass drivers who somehow gained their license, (who probably cant even drive a manual which makes it easier for them to simply push the accelerator to the floor), are crashing everywhere, the rest of us are being fucked.

bshoc

HSC
N/A
Re: Robert Wells can fuck off.

Seconded, we've already lost freedoms becuase of one asshat, like firearms, lets not lose more.

L

littlewing69

Thank God I'm in the ACT. You NSWers already get a rough deal on the roads.

HotShot

-_-
HSC
flipsyde said:
It's something both you and I are sick of hearing about, but nonetheless the issue is there and we can't ignore it. It really grinds my gears to think that if new laws are passed then I won't be able to drive my friends home when we go drinking.

I have absolutly NO problem having now drinks all night and driving my drunk friends home. I'd much rather get them home safe then have somrething happen to them, knowing I could have done something about it. If the law is brought in I REFUSE to abide by it. I am a safe driver and I will not take the punishment of the 'guilty' party.

I work, and I get home late, same with Uni... I need to be able to drive home late at night. It is unsafe for me to be catching a train home on my own, especially being female.

Fine put the laws in...we'll see how many people drive home drunk, or just drive without their Ps on.
The problem here is most P-platers are teenagers and most teenagers cant be stuffed following the laws. so reallyits just to keep some politicians/parents happy that they implement these laws.

Instead of accepting the fact that it was the drivers fault - theyare quick to blame the law and its rules and regulations. How come when 300k driver all under the same law? that only 27 have died? clearly its not hign to do with rules rather the drivers.

L

littlewing69

Pilgrim said:
http://www.smh.com.au/news/national/...476178204.html

Just saw this on the news, damn I'm pissed off at the parents of irresponsible teenagers, blaming everybody else except the driver and their own control over their son.

He's going to talk tomorrow about restricting p-platers of everything and/or anything.

Jesus I hate these people. "Help us gubmint!"

Pussies.

Last edited by a moderator:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)