P-Plate Restrictions (1 Viewer)

Templar

P vs NP
HSC
The passenger and other to be introduced restriction are only bandaid solutions that attempts to reduce the stats of P-plate accidents and fatalities. It does not look at the cause of these deeply enough. Just because 5 teenagers crammed into a car and crashed does not mean limiting passenger number will prevent this, it merely reduces the victim count.

In the above case, speeding might be the real cause of the accident, and since the driver is already breaking the law and speeding, there is nothing stopping him/her having more numbers of passengers than allowed.

I agree with getting P-platers knowing the limitation of their car. It's surprisingly easy to lose control, especially in wet conditions. Allow them to slide out in an controlled environment, that will teach them not to do that in real life, as opposed to stopping the slide in time, which just boosts their confidence and make them think they're invincible.

Jiga

^

Its not going to help da death toll much, and if you look at previous years as Ive mentioned before and that article I posted also mentions, there is NO trend each year, the rate goes up and down...even though new laws were brought in during that period. Fact is, theyve already done all they can to prevent deaths in relation to the licensing system, with the p's etc... the only real thing to do now that would have a significant impact is a driver training course.

Jiga

I recon the new law that you have to display your p-plates externally is going to shyte alot of people and get more ppl fined over it. About 3 weeks ago during an RBT a cop told me that if he wanted to he could have booked me cos my red p's werent fully showing, and he said to put them on so you can see the red p. So I did this, and Ive now been through 3 red p's because they just keep falling off, and I dont intend to waste my money buying one of those brackets to fit them on, nor do I think they even make one for mine, as its one of the small white plates.

timmyh

HSC
Just because 5 teenagers crammed into a car and crashed does not mean limiting passenger number will prevent this, it merely reduces the victim count.
I agree with the majority of ur post, however i must point out that u are wrong here. studies have shown that u (both p platers and full license holders) are more likely to crash when u have another peer in ur car. The liklihood increases with each person who hops into the car. The idea behind this new law is that p platers are not as experienced as other drivers and thus the peer influence will have more of an effect.

the only real thing to do now that would have a significant impact is a driver training course
Amen to that.

I recon the new law that you have to display your p-plates externally is going to shyte alot of people and get more ppl fined over it.
it shytes ppl like me. I cannot see the value in this new law considering in qld u dont even have to display ur plates. I guess its just a way of getting money out of us....

HSC
Yeah but in Queensland are there speed and BAC restrictions on Provisional Drivers? This was mentioned a while ago but driver training isn't going to do all that much IMO, it's the same as the Learner logbook - it's too easily rorted or abused or whatever. The only effective way to reduced the road toll is to have more police on the roads and to make them covert. If drivers know that ALL or even most Highway Patrol vehicles are unmarked then they are far less likely to drive negligently.

timmyh

HSC
driver training isn't going to do all that much IMO, it's the same as the Learner logbook - it's too easily rorted or abused or whatever.
log books are different - u can fudge figures to say u've learnt skills and had experience which u havent.
How can u rort defensive driver courses. If u attend one, you learn the skills and become more likely to survive in an accident. Where is the rort???

Jiga

Yeah but in Queensland are there speed and BAC restrictions on Provisional Drivers? This was mentioned a while ago but driver training isn't going to do all that much IMO, it's the same as the Learner logbook - it's too easily rorted or abused or whatever
Lol wtf. How can you rort a driver training course... if you dont do it, you dont for example get the signature etc from the guy running it. The L's are easy to rort cos mummy will sign it regardless. Not the case in training courses. They would have a massive effect, not only in preventing sticky situations in the first place as people will know the limits of their cars but also teaching them the skills that every young driver lacks, which are how to react in an emergency situation.

The only effective way to reduced the road toll is to have more police on the roads and to make them covert. If drivers know that ALL or even most Highway Patrol vehicles are unmarked then they are far less likely to drive negligently.
Lol the cops are already stretched, I highly doubt this is a practical solution... not only would it mean alot more cops are needed (costing more money... more then it would be to subsidise a driver training course!), it wouldnt have that much effect as cops cant be on every cm of road giving people the opportunity to do something stupid and govts like Queensland already have in place shyteloads of undercover cars of every make and model, yet they are having the same problem as NSW. From a cost benefit point of view, this would be the worst 'solution'.

Last edited by a moderator:

Josie

Everything's perfect!
HSC
Did anyone see Debnam's piece a little while ago where he suggested giving parents of learner and provisional drivers $100 to encourage them to take defensive driving courses.. the typical solution of throwing money at a problem without thinking about it first. If they actually subsidised the training course, gee, what a good idea.

Does anyone have any figures on learner/provisional car driver vs learner/provisional motorcycle rider crashes? I mean, to get your bike licence you actually have to learn how to control the vehicle, not just do a reverse park.

Jiga

^

Dunno bout crashes wise... but fatalities wise I dont think it would be very favourable, considering you dont have a very good chance of surviving even in minor incidents... so you couldnt compare that because cars are different.

Serius

Beyond Godlike
HSC
The Brucemaster said:
Yeah but in Queensland are there speed and BAC restrictions on Provisional Drivers? This was mentioned a while ago but driver training isn't going to do all that much IMO, it's the same as the Learner logbook - it's too easily rorted or abused or whatever. The only effective way to reduced the road toll is to have more police on the roads and to make them covert. If drivers know that ALL or even most Highway Patrol vehicles are unmarked then they are far less likely to drive negligently.
having so many undercover cars pulling people over for minor infractions is an abuse of power. Its easy for rapists to pull people over under the pretense of being an undercover cop [and actually some states in america made legislation to prevent undercover cops pulling people over]

Half the power of the police is seeing them around anyways, when you see a highway patrol pass you every trip then you arent going to speed or do anything else illegal.

Jiga

^

Yeah... its like long weekends when they do some revenue raising, all of a sudden you see more marked cop cars on the road, people slow down because they dont know if there is one around the corner. I still think thats not the solution to the problem, but unmarked cars are certainly not.

HotShot

-_-
HSC
I think these new rules have been quickly made - to shut people up, and to maximise revenue.

How many P-platers will be driving between what 11pm and 5am????hradly any

How many crashes have occurred at that time harldy any as compared to other times.

120 hours and 12 months? omg wttf- so you have to drive with full licence driver for a whole year - it was bad enough 6 months??

Sparcod

Hello!
HSC
So..I'm sure that there lots of Learner drivers who have been practising for at least a year.

From my view, the reasons why P-Platers get injured more often, apart from inexperience are:
-Younger drivers have that "risktaking" feeling inside them (I'm sure we've all heard this before)
-Younger drivers prefer cheaper/older/smaller cars which make them more vulnerable to death.

Optophobia

HSC
no, because young people don't play russian roulette or go walking along cliff faces.

The reason why p-platers get injured more often is because they don't understand how easy it is to die/get injured.

If David Hooks can die by having his head slammed into concrete at normal speed, then anyone can die from driving at 60 K into an on coming vehicle or a tree.

The human body is not designed to withstand impacts like that which occurs when we are driving.

As young people we have seen our parents driving and so we think "we can drive as well!.. It's not that hard, you just stick your foot down and go"..

They don't understand the physics behind cars and the physiology of the human body. They mistakenly assume that we are "moden humans". We are humans living in modern conditions, but we are the same biologically as humans hundreds of years ago who didn't have bodies designed for withstanding huge impacts.

cuppy

HSC
N/A
has it been confirmed that they are going to make the test to get your Ps harder? and if so have they said when the changes will be made??

i know there was talk about it before but i don't actually know if it got the green light.

Josie

Everything's perfect!
HSC
If you think that's the most controversial part of the changes....

But as usual, these restrictions just ruin it for the people who behave anyway, won't make a difference to the idiots. As my Dad just said "oh good, another 70 hrs of driving parents have to forge".

Jiga

The reason why p-platers get injured more often is because they don't understand how easy it is to die/get injured.
Which is risk taking essentially, if your aware of the consequences you dont take risks...

I think its alot of things - obviously males in particular take more risks, young people drive more then older drivers at least, lack of experience in emergency situations (only one way to fix that) etc.

All of the govts new laws dont really address this. The passenger restriction just delays the inevitable until drivers can get passengers and be distracted as opposed to showing them how easily you can lose concentration when looking away from the road (like could happen on a driver trainin course specifically designed younger drivers). Stricter testing also doesnt do jack, young drivers already know the road rules better then most older people who had way easier tests, this isnt the issue in their crashes. More hours on L's, 60hours was already excessive 120hours is just a waste because L's are completely different to driving alone. etc.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)