Paper 2 : MODULES, So? How'd you go? (1 Viewer)

DoubleX

HSC
B35tY said:
Haha, well ours was fairly generic in all questions but Lear (where they asked to write a speech).

Time went well, i spent 40 mins on each and finished with a minute to spare. Can't ask for more, no?

Wrote 7 on Frontline, 6 1/2 on Lear, 6 1/2 on BNW/BR.

20 pages in 2 hours! I hardly have the strength to type. Now that i think of it, they should allow us to type our essays in the exams. I'd chew out 2.5k words for each one!
Screw you Mr. English Hax.

If we were allowed to type I would absolutely pwn, but since we have to write I suck. I died so badly today. I managed to get out 3 for BNW/BR, 3 for Frontline and 1 for Lear (ran out of time). Bleh. My prophecy is coming true. :(

pritnep

Boredof?
HSC
hmm all I can say is either the paper you are using is small or your writing is big. I mean seriously in exams markers expect between 1000-1500 word essays in 40 mins nobody is looking at 2500+ because I doubt that is clear and concise and would probably be a brain dump of all the information you know on a topic. So just over five and a bit pages you were writing for each essay which would be 1500+...

I usually write 4 full pages in my writing style in 40mins which is about 1300-1500 words. Anyway the page numbers don't mater its the marks achieved at the end. ;) Good luck those with trials and those starting next week i.e. Me and Priesty and all the others I can't be bothered\remember to list!

DoubleX

HSC
LottoX said:
21 pages isn't that much considering that there were people going 25...

Those bastards =p

EDIT: Tim, what went wrong for you?
Lack of preparation time, general all-around weakness at English, inability to write quickly for extended periods of time lest my hand burst from writer's cramp. Need I go on?

.ben

HSC
Is it possible to write 800 words essay and get good mark.

s2indie

HSC
I wish they gave us an extra 10 minutes. My responses would've been so much better. Straight forward, but experienced extreme bad luck today.
Two pens ran out of ink, lucky I brought four.

Although, Module B would definitely be my worst. Bleh.

pritnep

Boredof?
HSC
Well looking over my AOS study paper that I did for my half yearly, yes I do take 1-2mins in planning especially for essays that require quotes. It is able to remind me the exact quotes etc I need to remember and then I can reorder that information in my brain. Also it helps with organising my essay and ideas to answer the question and in the event I don't finish the question teachers at least know that I know what I am doing.

I hope to do the same thing for the English trials but we shall see...

nallask8r

HSC
UnIqUe_PrInCeSs said:
hey, do you guys write up a quick plan just before you begin writing your essay (during the exam)?

or will it take up too much time? I've never tried it during exam conditions :-/
I just structure mine around common issues and themes ie materialism and idealism, shove quotes under each one and answer the question, integrating contextual influences within. Worked fine yesterday for BNW, speeches and powerplay :) But yeh, you probably should have a predetermined structure.

UnIqUe_PrInCeSs

invading your mind
I'm leaving now to go find myself. If I should ret
HSC
nallask8r said:
I just structure mine around common issues and themes ie materialism and idealism, shove quotes under each one and answer the question, integrating contextual influences within. Worked fine yesterday for BNW, speeches and powerplay :) But yeh, you probably should have a predetermined structure.
oh, so it is a good idea. :/ I'm thinking of trying that for my trials, but I'm scared that I'll spend too much time on the planning (cos I easily get side-tracked).

anyway, we now have 3 weeks left for our trials:(

struth

HSC
Schmokes!

I did my second English paper today, and I can't believe that they actually specified which poems we had to talk about! :O

Damn pitty I hadn't read either of them since last the beginning of my course (did another three in detail). :-(

All up, I only wrote around 9 pages though, unlike some of the major geeks on here ;-)

Out of curiosity though, did you people get to use the 'yellow HSC books' to write in, or just the usual A4 notepad?

jiekailin

HSC
LottoX said:
Definately wont get a 20, but if it's good enough should hit the 18-19 mark.
Nah, that's what our school teaches us, which is inevitably why we become so fixacted with quantity. In reference to .Ben;s question, as long as your response is cohesive and reasonably condensed with strong examples, quantity becomes rather superfluous.

frankyd

starlight woo!
HSC
I think you need to be looking at around 1000-1200 which can be written in the 40 minute time and has enough information on everything if you write it concisely.

As for planning, the way I've structured my essays is that they are easily adaptable to other types of forms.. eg. in my trial paper 2 for BNW/BR (Comparative) i had to write a radio script. The way it was structured I basically broke up my essay into parts and formed a transcript of an interview with a few minor changes (ie. there is now a host and 2 scholars etc)

I think its best to KNOW pre-prepared answers and more importantly HOW they can be shaped around questions. If you practice them like that then you're set for the exams..

now the paper 2.. hmm it was very hard at our school they pulled an interview and a good KL question.

I was pretty happy got all my sections down in the time.. hoping for high A range in everything atm

As for the amount of pages.. my responses were around 1170, 1180 and 1070 for each module and I wrote 27 pages (yes my writing is messy so i space it out and write big so markers can read)

I recommend that you practice spacing out your writing so it LOOKS like more than it is. not to the point where its riddiculus, but if you look at some past high range responses and what not you'll see that they often space their writing out alot.
I mean if you're like me with pretty messy writing, spacing it out makes it easier to read and looks all techy :p lol

luscious-llama

Ára bátur
HSC
N/A
webby234 said:
Haha yeah - hi Frank

I liked our English paper - radio interview fits well with BNW/BR and I liked the King Lear question.

Personally I don't memorise my essays but know all the points I need. That way I can shape it to the question a bit easier. But then again I'm only getting about 15/20, while Frank over there is getting 20.
Mmm did the same one as jooo

Beetle

HSC
Just did it.. the questions for me were pretty easy.. wrote about 8 pages for each essay...

also had business studies in the arvo.. which was like another 7 pages each for the report and essay at the end.. siGH*

So in the end, i had to write 38 pages in one day. >< u can tell my hand was killing me..

BUT OWELLS ENGLISH IS DONE DEATH TO ENGLISH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

Tbomb2k

T.K
HSC
section 1- was good because we weren't against the clock at that stage and was an easy question and i wrote 7 pages

section 3- was alright, i managed to put a lot of stuff in there but my thesis was terrible :( i don't think i answered the question properly. did 6-7 pages

section 2 (did last)- was very rushed, i only learnt 2 speeches in detail so had to pull another out of the bag. only had 30mins to do this but still managed to do 5-6 pages.

phew... most relieving exam to finish! :) it was the one i was most worried about, and i think i didn't pretty well compared to my other exams.

sando

HSC IS EVIL
HSC
13/20 for King Lear.. pretty happy with that actually

14/20- for Brave New World/Blade Runner... dissappointed, was hoping for 16

16/20 for Frontline/(office, crucible).. really happy.. learnt all the content nite b4

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)