Parametrics - Locus (1 Viewer)

nrlwinner

HSC
Hi. I'm not sure how to answer questions involving midpoints where multiple parameters are used.

Eg. Locus of the midpoint of P and Q on x^2 = 4ay where the x-coordinate differ by 2a

shaon0

HSC
Hi. I'm not sure how to answer questions involving midpoints where multiple parameters are used.

Eg. Locus of the midpoint of P and Q on x^2 = 4ay where the x-coordinate differ by 2a
P(2ap,ap^2) and Q(2ap-2a,aq^2) ie. 2aq=2ap-2a => q=p-1 => q=(x-a)/2a
Midpt: (2ap-a,a/2(p^2+q^2))

x=2ap-a
x+a=2ap
p=(x+a)/2a ...sub into y equ

y=a/2(p^2+q^2)
y=(a/2)((x+a)^2/4a^2+((x-a)/4a^2))
y=(1/8a)((x+a)^2+(x-a)^2)
y=(1/4a)(x^2+a^2)
x^2=4ay-a^2

ninetypercent

ninety ninety ninety
HSC
i h8 parametrics. dont get it a bit. anyone got tips?
- remember the definition of the parabola - it may come in handy
- learn to eliminate parameters to form a relationship between x and y
- keep bashing the algebra
- draw a diagram!
- remember formulas such as midpoint formula

nrlwinner

HSC
Thanks I got it now. Also, I've been stuck on this one. I know the co-ordinates are right

Can someone help me turn that into a locus equation. I know I have to let the x-coordinate equal x and then make the subject p, then sub it into y, but is this algebra possible?

untouchablecuz

HSC
Thanks I got it now. Also, I've been stuck on this one. I know the co-ordinates are right

Can someone help me turn that into a locus equation. I know I have to let the x-coordinate equal x and then make the subject p, then sub it into y, but is this algebra possible?

nrlwinner

HSC
Thanks. Can someone help me finish this one off as well.

It's a question that the ends of the normals of a focal chord meet at R. Find the locus of R.

I've got the coordinates to be

Can someone check if that's right and how I can finish the question off.

jet

Banned
HSC
Ok, heres how you go from there. (I didn't check your working up to there. Assume it's correct)

The tiny bit of information that you might have missed is that they lie on a focal chord.

Substituting the focus into the equation of a chord gives you the condition that pq = -1.

Now, you complete the square.

We know that y = a(p^2 + q^2 + 1)
= a[(p^2 - pq + q^2) + pq + 1]
= a[(p - q)^2 + pq + 1]
= a(p - q)^2 since pq = -1

Now we know x/a = p - q

Therefore y = x^2/a
x^2 = ay

Which is a parabola with focal length a/4 and vertex at the origin

In locus and the parabola, there will always be a small piece of information which makes the question solvable.

nrlwinner

HSC
Thanks for the help so far. I'm nearly finished parametrics. Just a couple of last questions.

Here's a question I simply cannot do.
Tangets are drawn to a parbola x^2=4y from an external point A(x1,y1) touching the parabola at P and Q. Prove that the midpoint, M, of PQ is the point

Also. I cannot turn this point into a locus. There doesn't seem to be any other information in the question that can help me. My points are

untouchablecuz

HSC
Thanks for the help so far. I'm nearly finished parametrics. Just a couple of last questions.

Here's a question I simply cannot do.
Tangets are drawn to a parbola x^2=4y from an external point A(x1,y1) touching the parabola at P and Q. Prove that the midpoint, M, of PQ is the point

Also. I cannot turn this point into a locus. There doesn't seem to be any other information in the question that can help me. My points are

did you mistype the y coordinate for the first Q?

also, can you check over the coordinates for the second Q, i have a feeling you mistyped them

Last edited:

nrlwinner

HSC
I've already got the first question. Thanks.

The y coordinate for the 2nd question is meant to be

If that doesn't help, the question is.
If PN is a normal to the parabola x^2=4ay at a variable point P and SN is drawn through the focus S parallel to the tangent at P to cut the normal at N. Find the locus of N

Last edited:

jet

Banned
HSC
You made a mistake with the coordinates, I'm not sure where. This is the correct answer:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)