Parramatta Library HSC Chemistry Trial Discussion (1 Viewer)

mreditor16

HSC
bump - get liking people :)

Last edited:

strawberrye

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
Thank you people for the likes:) As promised, I have uploaded the full paper, and I have also changed question 9 so it is a complete paper, mistake free as much as I am aware. Remember, these multiple choices will be hard, it is all about reading the question VERY CAREFULLY and selecting the MOST CORRECT response. Best wishes everyone and please tell me how you found the paper:) Feel free to discuss any aspects of this paper on this thread:)

I will post the answer to question 9 after someone asks about it:) (i.e. when they have completed the paper:))

Last edited:

Hi there444

HSC
Thank you people for the likes:) As promised, I have uploaded the full paper, and I have also changed question 9 so it is a complete paper, mistake free as much as I am aware. Remember, these multiple choices will be hard, it is all about reading the question VERY CAREFULLY and selecting the MOST CORRECT response. Best wishes everyone and please tell me how you found the paper:) Feel free to discuss any aspects of this paper on this thread:)

I will post the answer to question 9 after someone asks about it:) (i.e. when they have completed the paper:))
Thank you Mei

strawberrye

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
I just did multiple choice! :D Questions are nice and not the type you'd expect.

17/19
Great job:) Let me know how you went on the rest of the paper:) All the best for your chemistry exam:) What did you get for question 9? There should be 20 questions for the online version:)...

HSC
Great job:) Let me know how you went on the rest of the paper:) All the best for your chemistry exam:) What did you get for question 9? There should be 20 questions for the online version:)...
For question 9 i put A, but i can't seem to find the answer for q9 but i'm like 90% sure I am wrong.

What's the answer for 9?

I will do the rest of the paper next Wednesday after 4u, and i shall tell you about the written part of the paper :D

thankyou :D

strawberrye

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
For question 9 i put A, but i can't seem to find the answer for q9 but i'm like 90% sure I am wrong.

What's the answer for 9?

I will do the rest of the paper next Wednesday after 4u, and i shall tell you about the written part of the paper :D

thankyou :D
You could have been right had it not for the fact that I required the most accurate answer. The most accurate answer to 9 is D. Have a think about why:)

Tugga

HSC
You could have been right had it not for the fact that I required the most accurate answer. The most accurate answer to 9 is D. Have a think about why:)
The emitted electron is from a neutron decaying to a proton + electron right?

TOWSHE

HSC
Yes (I had D)! I got 17/20 Can you please explain 19? Awesome paper so far ill do rest maybe today but I have 4u too :p

For q8 isnt disinfection much after chlorination? Cholrination occurs early on and disinfection is like just before the purified water leaves?

Last edited:

timeflies

HSC
For question 19 where you have to choose the incorrect statement, one of the "correct" statements say: "Triatomic oxygen is a pungent and poisonous gas, while oxygen is a non-pungent gas. This difference is because triatomic oxygen have coordinate covalent bonds, while diatomic oxygen only have non-polar covalent bonds".

Just wanted to know if the wording here was correct and that the reason ozone is poisonous and pungent and oxygen is not is because of the coordinate covalent bond in ozone. I did not know the coordinate covalent bond was the reason for ozone's smell... is this true?

Apart from that confusion, some nice multiple choice questions! 17/20. I'll try the rest after the 4U exam :)

Last edited:

strawberrye

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
Yes (I had D)! I got 17/20 Can you please explain 19? Awesome paper so far ill do rest maybe today but I have 4u too :p

For q8 isnt disinfection much after chlorination? Cholrination occurs early on and disinfection is like just before the purified water leaves?
I used jacaranda chemistry textbook as a reference for that question, I guess there might be slight variations in processes depending on different water treatment plants and quality of water, but in general, from my understanding which also seems to accord with this well-respected textbok, is that disinfection is before chlorination.

For question 19 where you have to choose the incorrect statement, one of the "correct" statements say: "Triatomic oxygen is a pungent and poisonous gas, while oxygen is a non-pungent gas. This difference is because triatomic oxygen have coordinate covalent bonds, while diatomic oxygen only have non-polar covalent bonds".

Just wanted to know if the wording here was correct and that the reason ozone is poisonous and pungent and oxygen is not is because of the coordinate covalent bond in ozone. I did not know the coordinate covalent bond was the reason for ozone's smell... is this true?

Apart from that confusion, some nice multiple choice questions! 17/20. I'll try the rest after the 4U exam :)
Hi timeflies, thank you for pointing that out. The difference is not due to the different bonds, I think I should definitely have worded the question a bit better. However, in this question, I guess statement C is still the most accurate 'inaccurate' statement in that it is explicitly not correct that oxygen don't form oxides with metals, while it is arguable though difference is not due to the bonds, but the overall separate phrases is correct. I apologise for the confusion in wording-got too carried away with making the options more difficult and hence did not realise it may have confused people greatly. I guess in this instance I better accept two possible responses, making B and C both correct.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)